Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHERE CAN I FIND 1800s town that is running

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default WHERE CAN I FIND 1800s town that is running

Originally posted by Matt

: Where can I find a town that is like the 1800s and still acts like the 1800s, did any one build a self sufficent 1800 ghost town, I want to live in one

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: WHERE CAN I FIND 1800s town that is running

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Where can I find a town that is like the 1800s and still acts like the 1800s, did any one build a self sufficent 1800 ghost town, I want to live in one

: Interesting questions....possibly, but not likely.

: Designated shp's like Columbia, CA. have barricades to shut out vehicle traffic, but probably have restrictions on "new residents". You have to consider where you'd live, and work.

: Some places like Austin, & Eureka, NV. have been restored to their 1870's heyday, with people in period dress, but they both lie on busy US 50. Again, where would you live and work? If you're wealthy, I guess you could buy an historical shop residence, or hotel, but you'd still have the traffic on hwy 50, or some other hwy.

: Menonites, and Quakers in the Pennsylvania Dutch counties back east follow the old ways, down to the horse and buggy. But unless you're a Menonite or Quaker, you may have to convert to their religion to become part of their community. Or perhaps you could marry into it! In order to find the place you're asking about, I'm afraid you'll have to use the time-warp-continuum machine. It used to be in Ogden, UT., but I think they moved it to Roswell, NM.!!

: bb.

Originally posted by Steve Bruce

: The mining camp in the URL below would be a cool place to live, pls check it out. You could live off of the bullion in the safe for example -- just take some blasting powder and blow the door off the safe, just like in the old days - it was sort of like the 1900's version of hacking a website I guess. Anyway don't worry about what Bob says -- he probably doesn't live or work anywhere real anyway unless it's LA or someplace like that - in fact I heard that Bob was a nightclub singer when he is not selling tee shirts on this GT website. Right Bob? haha no offense - thx for the BB (if you don't moderate me off the bb that is)

: steve

: :

: : : Where can I find a town that is like the 1800s and still acts like the 1800s, did any one build a self sufficent 1800 ghost town, I want to live in one

: : Interesting questions....possibly, but not likely.

: : Designated shp's like Columbia, CA. have barricades to shut out vehicle traffic, but probably have restrictions on "new residents". You have to consider where you'd live, and work.

: : Some places like Austin, & Eureka, NV. have been restored to their 1870's heyday, with people in period dress, but they both lie on busy US 50. Again, where would you live and work? If you're wealthy, I guess you could buy an historical shop residence, or hotel, but you'd still have the traffic on hwy 50, or some other hwy.

: : Menonites, and Quakers in the Pennsylvania Dutch counties back east follow the old ways, down to the horse and buggy. But unless you're a Menonite or Quaker, you may have to convert to their religion to become part of their community. Or perhaps you could marry into it! In order to find the place you're asking about, I'm afraid you'll have to use the time-warp-continuum machine. It used to be in Ogden, UT., but I think they moved it to Roswell, NM.!!

: : bb.

: The mining camp in the URL below would be a cool place to live, pls check it out. You could live off of the bullion in the safe for example -- just take some blasting powder and blow the door off the safe, just like in the old days - it was sort of like the 1900's version of hacking a website I guess. Anyway don't worry about what Bob says -- he probably doesn't live or work anywhere real anyway unless it's LA or someplace like that - in fact I heard that Bob was a nightclub singer when he is not selling tee shirts on this GT website. Right Bob? haha no offense - thx for the BB (if you don't moderate me off the bb that is)

: steve

: : : Where can I find a town that is like the 1800s and still acts like the 1800s, did any one build a self sufficent 1800 ghost town, I want to live in one

: : Interesting questions....possibly, but not likely.

: : Designated shp's like Columbia, CA. have barricades to shut out vehicle traffic, but probably have restrictions on "new residents". You have to consider where you'd live, and work.

: : Some places like Austin, & Eureka, NV. have been restored to their 1870's heyday, with people in period dress, but they both lie on busy US 50. Again, where would you live and work? If you're wealthy, I guess you could buy an historical shop residence, or hotel, but you'd still have the traffic on hwy 50, or some other hwy.

: : Menonites, and Quakers in the Pennsylvania Dutch counties back east follow the old ways, down to the horse and buggy. But unless you're a Menonite or Quaker, you may have to convert to their religion to become part of their community. Or perhaps you could marry into it! In order to find the place you're asking about, I'm afraid you'll have to use the time-warp-continuum machine. It used to be in Ogden, UT., but I think they moved it to Roswell, NM.!!

Default Re: read the question again steve

:

: : The mining camp in the URL below would be a cool place to live, pls check it out. You could live off of the bullion in the safe for example -- just take some blasting powder and blow the door off the safe, just like in the old days - it was sort of like the 1900's version of hacking a website I guess. Anyway don't worry about what Bob says -- he probably doesn't live or work anywhere real anyway unless it's LA or someplace like that - in fact I heard that Bob was a nightclub singer when he is not selling tee shirts on this GT website. Right Bob? haha no offense - thx for the BB (if you don't moderate me off the bb that is)

: : steve

: No offense taken, but if I'm reading the question right, he wants to move into a town that is already up and running, with no traces of the 20th century. The mining camp you suggested is completely deserted is it not? I live in the armpit of the San Joaquin Valley... Bakersfield, and used to play in a band in the 70's so you were close...never was much of a salesman though, and paint houses now as owner/operator.

: : :

: : : : Where can I find a town that is like the 1800s and still acts like the 1800s, did any one build a self sufficent 1800 ghost town, I want to live in one

: : : Interesting questions....possibly, but not likely.

: : : Designated shp's like Columbia, CA. have barricades to shut out vehicle traffic, but probably have restrictions on "new residents". You have to consider where you'd live, and work.

: : : Some places like Austin, & Eureka, NV. have been restored to their 1870's heyday, with people in period dress, but they both lie on busy US 50. Again, where would you live and work? If you're wealthy, I guess you could buy an historical shop residence, or hotel, but you'd still have the traffic on hwy 50, or some other hwy.

: : : Menonites, and Quakers in the Pennsylvania Dutch counties back east follow the old ways, down to the horse and buggy. But unless you're a Menonite or Quaker, you may have to convert to their religion to become part of their community. Or perhaps you could marry into it! In order to find the place you're asking about, I'm afraid you'll have to use the time-warp-continuum machine. It used to be in Ogden, UT., but I think they moved it to Roswell, NM.!!

: : : bb.

:

: Hey Bob - no offense taken! -- I get the impression that society in general is suffering from a general lack of a sense of humor these days! nobody has ever cared much for my jokes anyway, I even nearly got hauled into court once for one of my better jokes -- at least I thought it was! Did we meet in Cerro Gordo when you organized the GT rally in '99 ?

: Steve

:

:

: : : The mining camp in the URL below would be a cool place to live, pls check it out. You could live off of the bullion in the safe for example -- just take some blasting powder and blow the door off the safe, just like in the old days - it was sort of like the 1900's version of hacking a website I guess. Anyway don't worry about what Bob says -- he probably doesn't live or work anywhere real anyway unless it's LA or someplace like that - in fact I heard that Bob was a nightclub singer when he is not selling tee shirts on this GT website. Right Bob? haha no offense - thx for the BB (if you don't moderate me off the bb that is)

: : : steve

: : No offense taken, but if I'm reading the question right, he wants to move into a town that is already up and running, with no traces of the 20th century. The mining camp you suggested is completely deserted is it not? I live in the armpit of the San Joaquin Valley... Bakersfield, and used to play in a band in the 70's so you were close...never was much of a salesman though, and paint houses now as owner/operator.

: : : :

: : : : : Where can I find a town that is like the 1800s and still acts like the 1800s, did any one build a self sufficent 1800 ghost town, I want to live in one

: : : : Interesting questions....possibly, but not likely.

: : : : Designated shp's like Columbia, CA. have barricades to shut out vehicle traffic, but probably have restrictions on "new residents". You have to consider where you'd live, and work.

: : : : Some places like Austin, & Eureka, NV. have been restored to their 1870's heyday, with people in period dress, but they both lie on busy US 50. Again, where would you live and work? If you're wealthy, I guess you could buy an historical shop residence, or hotel, but you'd still have the traffic on hwy 50, or some other hwy.

: : : : Menonites, and Quakers in the Pennsylvania Dutch counties back east follow the old ways, down to the horse and buggy. But unless you're a Menonite or Quaker, you may have to convert to their religion to become part of their community. Or perhaps you could marry into it! In order to find the place you're asking about, I'm afraid you'll have to use the time-warp-continuum machine. It used to be in Ogden, UT., but I think they moved it to Roswell, NM.!!

: : : : bb.

:

: : Hey Bob - no offense taken! -- I get the impression that society in general is suffering from a general lack of a sense of humor these days! nobody has ever cared much for my jokes anyway, I even nearly got hauled into court once for one of my better jokes -- at least I thought it was! Did we meet in Cerro Gordo when you organized the GT rally in '99 ?

: : Steve

: : : : The mining camp in the URL below would be a cool place to live, pls check it out. You could live off of the bullion in the safe for example -- just take some blasting powder and blow the door off the safe, just like in the old days - it was sort of like the 1900's version of hacking a website I guess. Anyway don't worry about what Bob says -- he probably doesn't live or work anywhere real anyway unless it's LA or someplace like that - in fact I heard that Bob was a nightclub singer when he is not selling tee shirts on this GT website. Right Bob? haha no offense - thx for the BB (if you don't moderate me off the bb that is)

: : : : steve

: : : No offense taken, but if I'm reading the question right, he wants to move into a town that is already up and running, with no traces of the 20th century. The mining camp you suggested is completely deserted is it not? I live in the armpit of the San Joaquin Valley... Bakersfield, and used to play in a band in the 70's so you were close...never was much of a salesman though, and paint houses now as owner/operator.

: : : bb.

: : : : :

: : : : : : Where can I find a town that is like the 1800s and still acts like the 1800s, did any one build a self sufficent 1800 ghost town, I want to live in one

: : : : : Interesting questions....possibly, but not likely.

: : : : : Designated shp's like Columbia, CA. have barricades to shut out vehicle traffic, but probably have restrictions on "new residents". You have to consider where you'd live, and work.

: : : : : Some places like Austin, & Eureka, NV. have been restored to their 1870's heyday, with people in period dress, but they both lie on busy US 50. Again, where would you live and work? If you're wealthy, I guess you could buy an historical shop residence, or hotel, but you'd still have the traffic on hwy 50, or some other hwy.

: : : : : Menonites, and Quakers in the Pennsylvania Dutch counties back east follow the old ways, down to the horse and buggy. But unless you're a Menonite or Quaker, you may have to convert to their religion to become part of their community. Or perhaps you could marry into it! In order to find the place you're asking about, I'm afraid you'll have to use the time-warp-continuum machine. It used to be in Ogden, UT., but I think they moved it to Roswell, NM.!!

: : : : : bb.

: You are right about the general lack of a sense of humor. Do you know that there are some posters here that don't care for my sense of humor at all. The name I use should be enough of a clue. I mean, like it's not "good bob", "nice bob", "pleasant bob" or "happy bob". So I told them if they don't like my posts, don't read 'em. But perhaps people don't get your jokes because they missed seeing the punch line. I know I did. And pray tell how one of your better ones nearly landed you in the graybar hotel. Slander?

Originally posted by Dakota Danna

: Mystic, Castleton, or Rochford SD are pretty close. For a little more modern version, plus more shopping, try Hill City SD

I have recently started receiving Widow's benefits, and I resigned from a college job. I want to get away from the rate race and live back in the 1800's: As a child, I grew up without modern things. We did not have indoor plumbing until I was ten years old.

I want to get back to a more simple way of life. Can anyone tell me of such a place where I can move?

Thank you kindly!
    Charlene Ramsey

Thread Information