Thread: Road to Aurora, NV

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Road to Aurora, NV

Originally posted by Leland

: What is the easiest way into Aurora - from the Bodie Road side or the Aurora Crater side? I'm driving a Toyota 4-Runner. Thanks.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Road to Aurora, NV

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: I am not sure about the particular road you refer to when you mention the "Aurora Crater" road - the road in from Hawthorne, NV or one that comes up from the south from the vicinity of the state line from California 167.

: The road from CA167 I've personally not been on, so cannot comment.

: However, the road coming in from Hawthorne via Lucky Boy Pass is generally in good shape and periodically maintained.

: Both roads (Bodie, Hawthorne) will pose no challenge to your 4-Runner.

: There is also another road coming in from the north, via the Walker River, which turns off near Sweetwater, and ties in with the Hawthorne-Bodie road at Fletcher.

Originally posted by Leland

: : There is also another road coming in from the north, via the Walker River, which turns off near Sweetwater, and ties in with the Hawthorne-Bodie road at Fletcher.

: David, this road sounds like the one I'm trying to describe. The Aurora Crater is the active mining pit north? of Aurora. There's supposed to be a small white sign with red lettering identifying the road to Aurora. I missed the sign and ended up driving around the mining pit. Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Leland - the road in from the north via Sweetwater is generally maintained, although it's been about 20 years since I've accessed Aurora by it. Most Nevada county dirt roads are kept in reasonably good shape and are wide, bladed and generally the worst you'll encounter are cows and washboards. This road comes in via the Walker River and runs up to Fletcher, then branches off. There may be some mud and water on the road in the vicinity of Fletchers, although this shouldn't be nothing 4x4 can't tackle.

Originally posted by Andy

: : There's supposed to be a small white sign with red lettering identifying the road to Aurora. I missed the sign and ended up driving around the mining pit. Thanks for your help.

: It is indeed very easy to miss as my dad and I discovered today! :-) The sign is at essentially the first Y in the Aurora road and is very faded. Follow the red arrow underneath the faded sign to the right to get to Aurora proper

: Also, for anyone curious, as of today Bodie Road (between Bodie and the Aurora road) is passable by a Ford Explorer in 4x2, but something with better clearance is probably a good idea. My dad and I scraped pretty good in the Explorer about halfway down Bodie canyon where there's some standing water with some rocks hidden in it on the road.

Thread Information