Thread: Aurora/1860's/Glenns

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Aurora/1860's/Glenns

Originally posted by A. Glenn

: Hoping to take a trip to Aurora next week. Early Aug. Relatives (gr-gr uncles) lived there 1860's and were newspaper people and probably miners. Where would I find birth, death records? Also what library might carry newspapers from that time? Any advice appreciated. Anita in Auburn, CA

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Aurora/1860's/Glenns

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Hoping to take a trip to Aurora next week. Early Aug. Relatives (gr-gr uncles) lived there 1860's and were newspaper people and probably miners. Where would I find birth, death records? Also what library might carry newspapers from that time? Any advice appreciated. Anita in Auburn, CA

: The State Library in Carson City is a great place to start. If you don't want to go there, the local library in your town can request archived micro-films, etc.

: bb.

Default Re: Aurora/1860's/Glenns

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Mineral County, Nevada (Hawthorne) is the county that Aurora sits in, however, during the 1860s Aurora was the county seat of Esmeralda County. That county is quite cut up compared to its original boundaries, now being in the Goldfield area to the southeast.

: As for early Esmeralda County records, there are some Aurora records at the county museum in Bridgeport, CA (Aurora was originally the county seat of Mono County, California, before a state boundary survey found that Aurora was within Nevada). After Mono County was declared within California, Aurora became seat of Esmeralda County, NV, and Mono records went to first Bodie, then Bridgeport.

: In the 1970s, Mono County actually threw a bunch of Aurora records into the county dump, dump burning was still going on in those days, and many records were lost. Some of the town historians heard of the folly and post haste ran for the dump and saved as much as they could. The surviving records went to the county musuem.

: The Mono County Museum is open May through October and can be reached at (760) 932-5281.

: Aurora had several newspapers. The Esmeralda Star published 1862-3, The Aurora Weekly Times published 1863-4. Esmeralda Union 1864-8. Esmeralda Herald 1877-83. Aurora Star 1886. Aurora Borealis 1905-6. In addition, the Bridgeport Union and Chronical Union was printed from 1880 to the 1970s (after that it merged with the Mono Herald (Mammoth Lakes, CA), which was discontinued in the 1990s). This paper, as well as the Inyo Register in Bishop, CA, covered everything Aurora during the late boom of the 1905-1909 era. Many county libraries have microfilms of the early newspapers, and the State Library in Carson City is a good place to start a search of the others listed above.

Default Mono/Esmeralda County Seats were contemporary

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: .....After Mono County was declared within California, Aurora became seat of Esmeralda County, NV ....

: David. Aurora functioned as the county seat for Esmeralda County, NT at the same time it was county seat for Mono County. They actually shared the same facilities with two sets of officials (CA and NV). Next door neighbors went to Sacramento and Carson to serve in respective legislatures. Unlike the Roop County Wars up at Marysville, everyone got along and just waited until the survey resolved the question. If your interested, I'll dig up all the citations. The survey was done because of the Roop County Fiasco when Acting Territorial Governor (Nye was in Washington) Orion Clemens contacted Leland Stanford (CA Governor) after the Roop County Bloodshed. Survey only got to a little past Bodie when it stopped waiting for an large Native American Fall Festival located on the state line. While waiting for the native Americans to clear out, the first Winter storm occurred and the survey crew, nearly frozen and out of funds, quit. This was the end of survey till well after the Civil War, when Von Schmidt was commissioned and started where this survey ended and headed south. You know von Schmidt ran out of funds and we had that kink around Benton for a long time thereafter. I've researched the boundary disputes (Roop Wars) and lack of Disputes (Aurora) much like Pah-Ute County down in our neck of the woods. It was because of the uncertainty over where Aurora was located that California didn't agree to the Nevada enabling act which would have made the all the area which drained to the Carson part of Nevada. Would haven't had to fight over the name Lake Bigler as all would have been part of Nevada and Isaac Roop would have continued to serve in our legislature.

Default Re: Mono/Esmeralda County Seats were contemporary

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Thank you for the information, Yet Another Bob. I knew of the dual county seat situation. You probably know how it is, when you answer these posts, especially if you are planning on making it a long reply ... you start off with one thought, and as you race to type it out before the browser times out and cuts you off the Net, your answer changes direction a time or two and you invariably leave out something important; or in my case makes me wonder just what the heck I was trying to state in the first place

: As for the Nevada boundary situation, there was a two part, indepth article published in THE ALBUM Magazine [Chalfant Press - now defunct] some years ago. I don't have time to dig it up, but I believe it went by the title THE ELUSIVE NEVADA BOUNDARY - PART I and PART II.

: I've always been interested in the times that there have been efforts to stir up interest in eastern California ceeding to Nevada. I've often hoped it would happen. I've come across numerous times the early newspapers of Inyo County expressed profound interest in the lands of Inyo being part of Nevada, of which the county always had ties with the state economically.

Default Re: Mono/Esmeralda County Seats were contemporary

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: : Thank you for the information, Yet Another Bob. I knew of the dual county seat situation. You probably know how it is, when you answer these posts, especially if you are planning on making it a long reply ... you start off with one thought, and as you race to type it out before the browser times out and cuts you off the Net, your answer changes direction a time or two and you invariably leave out something important; or in my case makes me wonder just what the heck I was trying to state in the first place

: Boy do I know that. And when I type of the top of my head I write things I wish I hadn't later on. Re-reading my post I say Marysville when I meant Susanville cause I was thinking Janesville (Susan's Sister and Roop's other community, not where the Roop County War took place) ) but had just been talking about a Marysville, Utah (Duh). Aren't Boards fun! I really enjoy the different approaches at Aurora and Honey Lake. Actually using the same facilities, etc. at Aurora with everyone content and getting to the point of bloodshed at the Susanville.

: : As for the Nevada boundary situation, there was a two part, indepth article published in THE ALBUM Magazine [Chalfant Press - now defunct] some years ago. I don't have time to dig it up, but I believe it went by the title THE ELUSIVE NEVADA BOUNDARY - PART I and PART II.

: I was not aware of that article(s) but will search for it. I always like the surveyor stories, never gave em enough money to do the job and the Von Schmidt Kink around Benton is a classic. Would love to read more on that subject. Chalfant Press stuff is always interesting but locating some of the older stuff isn't so easy unless you can get to Inyo County on weekdays, (something I seldom can manage

: : I've always been interested in the times that there have been efforts to stir up interest in eastern California ceding to Nevada. I've often hoped it would happen. I've come across numerous times the early newspapers of Inyo County expressed profound interest in the lands of Inyo being part of Nevada, of which the county always had ties with the state economically.

: I've always enjoyed such boundary discussions myself. Turned Howard Hickson on some twenty years of efforts with the State of Nevada to snarf southern Idaho territory from 1870 till about six months before Idaho became state. That's a tale I'd like to know more about, all I knew is a couple of attempts, a Nevada Legislature appeal to the Feds and some sneaking tricks (Trying to give Northern Idaho to Washington State (And then we can snarf Idaho south of the Snake). Hope Howard can dig up some more info. Hey to quote ya, " just what the heck I was trying to state in the first place " I've rambled far from the topic. Thanks for the Chalfant source.

: –YAB

Thread Information