Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Go Into Abandoned Mines?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Anyone Ever Go Into Abandoned Mines?

Originally posted by Steve O.

: There is an earlier thread that asks about stealing from Ghost towns and mines. Does any one go into abandoned mines? I have found several, but never went past the portal because I figured there was nothing in there to see/recover worth my life. You can look in the mine dump to find all the rock specimens from deep underground that you'd everwant. Anyone have the cajones to actually explore an abandoned mine?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Anyone Ever Go Into Abandoned Mines?

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : There is an earlier thread that asks about stealing from Ghost towns and mines. Does any one go into abandoned mines? I have found several, but never went past the portal because I figured there was nothing in there to see/recover worth my life. You can look in the mine dump to find all the rock specimens from deep underground that you'd everwant. Anyone have the cajones to actually explore an abandoned mine?

: As far as I know, (which is very little), there are 2 kinds of abandoned mines. Ones that have been made into small tourist attractions, with lights, and maybe a guide, similar to cave attractions. I believe the other type is what you are referring to. The kind that has been boarded up, with skull & crossbones warnings. I give the "cajones" level an 8, out of 10, for these. That leaves 2 for the thrill-seekers, and loonie- tunies, (oh and the dumb kids that don't know no better). [gram intent'l]

: bb.

Originally posted by Steve Bruce

: Bad bob: a couple of years ago there was a verified case of a school teacher and a family friend that both died in a mine in Virginia City, and they were not too far inside -- it was at Thanksgiving time and the teacher had two kids. There is a lot of bad air in most VC mines and one full lung full of carbon dioxide can put the lights out with death soon to follow and that is what happened to them. BTW can you guess what the school teacher taught? ...one of his subjects at the local VC jr high was mine safety. -- rgds,steve

:

: :

: kind that has been boarded up, with skull & crossbones warnings. I give the "cajones" level an 8, out of 10, for these. That leaves 2 for the thrill-seekers, and loonie- tunies, (oh and the dumb kids that don't know no better). [gram intent'l]

: : bb.

Originally posted by Grizzled Old Prospector

: : There is an earlier thread that asks about stealing from Ghost towns and mines. Does any one go into abandoned mines? I have found several, but never went past the portal because I figured there was nothing in there to see/recover worth my life. You can look in the mine dump to find all the rock specimens from deep underground that you'd everwant. Anyone have the cajones to actually explore an abandoned mine?

: Yes, several times. I went into the back of one hardrock mine only to find someone had taken a crap in the end, not what I expected to see. As far as exploring mines goes, if it looks safe I'll take my chances. I would never go into any mine that has broken supports though.

Originally posted by Yet another bob

:

: : As far as I know, (which is very little), there are 2 kinds of abandoned mines. Ones that have been made into small tourist attractions, with lights, and maybe a guide, similar to cave attractions. I believe the other type is what you are referring to. The kind that has been boarded up, with skull & crossbones warnings. I give the "cajones" level an 8, out of 10, for these. That leaves 2 for the thrill-seekers, and loonie- tunies, (oh and the dumb kids that don't know no better). [gram intent'l]

: : bb.

: BB - I always figured that there were two kinds of abandoned mines, neither of which weren't without hazards. I never considered the tourist thing a mine anymore There are the kind without adequate ventilation where carbon dioxide builds up near the ground and some fool (Like the VC teacher) stirs up when entering and gets far enough from the exit that they die. The other kind have ventilation, I know cause some 40 years ago (Stupid kid cutting school) I went investigating one by feeling my way along the wall. Used be able to find dynamite in the back of such mines and boy what a stupid kid could do with dynamite (Specially the kind that sweat - he he boom). I was stopped in my feeling along the wall by the distinctive rattle of one of Ripley nemesis. Stupid kid that I was, I retreated, made a torch out of some oily rags and a stick and went back in to mess with that snake. He was safe, between me and him was this "5 and half second" vertical shaft across the complete "floor". It's a wonder I survived my youth. Ventilation has to come from somewhere? Stay out and stay alive is a very good motto. Talk to someone who has had to go down the 5 second holes to recover some fools remains and you'll know more about old mines than you care too.

Default Yep, but with extreem caution

Originally posted by Cat Ripley

: Well, I have to admit that mine exploring is a hobby of mine. There is something that thrills the **** out of me going into them, sometimes for hours, and exploring them. I dont need to "find" anything for it to be fun, its more the adventure of the whats around the next bend. However, after doing it long enough I've learned which mines to explore, which not to and I realize that I truly am taking a chance by entering them in the first place! I've been doing this since I was a little tyke of about 4 or 5 and like BB its amazing I made it through childhood. In these mines I've found bottles, dynomite, blasting caps, old mining equipment, old mining clothing and other assorted "artifacts".

: A couple of things to remember IF you do go into mines: NEVER GO ALONE, dont take chances crossing old timbers over adits, tell someone where you went ahead of time, dont kick or push on the timbers, dont bang on the walls, dont go in unless you feel a strong breeze within the mine and know there is good ventalation, and if you smell rotten timbers then get the **** out.

: Even observing these precautions dosnt insure that something wont happen, I'm still taking a chance every single time I step into a mine.

Default My Favorite Is The Swamper

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: A Tombstone Local named Swamper John, told us of his escapades into some of the abandoned silvermines. This guy actually ropes himself down into the mines in search of artifacts...definitely something I wouldn't recommend!!! But..more power to him!!!

Default Re: My Favorite Is The Swamper

: : A Tombstone Local named Swamper John, told us of his escapades into some of the abandoned silvermines. This guy actually ropes himself down into the mines in search of artifacts...definitely something I wouldn't recommend!!! But..more power to him!!!

: Yes, he occasionally sells sections of track on Ebay from the "Luck Sure" mine in Tombstone. I bought one from him last year.

: : : There is an earlier thread that asks about stealing from Ghost towns and mines. Does any one go into abandoned mines? I have found several, but never went past the portal because I figured there was nothing in there to see/recover worth my life. You can look in the mine dump to find all the rock specimens from deep underground that you'd everwant. Anyone have the cajones to actually explore an abandoned mine?

: : Yes, several times. I went into the back of one hardrock mine only to find someone had taken a crap in the end, not what I expected to see. As far as exploring mines goes, if it looks safe I'll take my chances. I would never go into any mine that has broken supports though.

: :: I would think the most typical problems would be bad air, lack of Oxygen, methane, critters, or vertical shafts. How did you determine if the air was ok in there; that is, once the crap dried out?

Default Re: Yep, but with extreem caution

: : Well, I have to admit that mine exploring is a hobby of mine. There is something that thrills the **** out of me going into them, sometimes for hours, and exploring them. I dont need to "find" anything for it to be fun, its more the adventure of the whats around the next bend. However, after doing it long enough I've learned which mines to explore, which not to and I realize that I truly am taking a chance by entering them in the first place! I've been doing this since I was a little tyke of about 4 or 5 and like BB its amazing I made it through childhood. In these mines I've found bottles, dynomite, blasting caps, old mining equipment, old mining clothing and other assorted "artifacts".

: : A couple of things to remember IF you do go into mines: NEVER GO ALONE, dont take chances crossing old timbers over adits, tell someone where you went ahead of time, dont kick or push on the timbers, dont bang on the walls, dont go in unless you feel a strong breeze within the mine and know there is good ventalation, and if you smell rotten timbers then get the **** out.

: : Even observing these precautions dosnt insure that something wont happen, I'm still taking a chance every single time I step into a mine.

: : Thanks for the insight. Do you take a flashlight with lots of extra batteries, or do you have better eqpt, such as the miner's helmet-mounted lamps?

Thread Information