Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Go Into Abandoned Mines?

Lots of good info in this thread!
    Reverend
    Tucson, Arizona
    lowered 2wd truck - stuck on pavement (for now)

I go into abandoned mines but only with my Mojave Underground buddies. They're experienced and know exactly what they're doing.
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Originally posted by Steve O.
    There is an earlier thread that asks about stealing from Ghost towns and mines. Does any one go into abandoned mines? I have found several, but never went past the portal because I figured there was nothing in there to see/recover worth my life. You can look in the mine dump to find all the rock specimens from deep underground that you'd everwant. Anyone have the cajones to actually explore an abandoned mine?

WHAT? NO! I would NEVER go into an abandoned mine! Waaaaaay too dangerous.....
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    --Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoa*alysis (1952)

Quote Originally Posted by silverstate55 View Post
    WHAT? NO! I would NEVER go into an abandoned mine! Waaaaaay too dangerous.....
    Am I detecting a slight note of SARCASM here? LOL!
    Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com
    It's not fun 'till I get hurt!

I've been exploring abandoned mines in the Northeast for almost fifteen years. My home state of New Jersey has over 600 abandoned mines, mostly 19th century iron mines. Copper, lead, graphite and zinc were also mined here.

The group I explore with has over sixty years of combined experience underground. We never go underground without at least two multi-gas meters, and everyone carries a CSE SR-100 rebreather, which will supply 1 hour of oxygen to the user in an emergency. Head protection and several primary and secondary lights round out our equipment.

Exploring abandoned mines is no different than caving. Like any dangerous sport, you need to do your homework first though. Yes, it is dangerous, but with the proper precautions and investments, it's one of the safest "extreme" sports around.

Anyway, my compliments to the moderators and members of this forum. I enjoy reading the posts here, and envy you for all of the great sites in your own back yards. Because of the climate back east, very little remains of the surface buildings and machinery at our 19th and early 20th century mining sites. It's fascinating to see all of the history that's preserved because of the dry climate out west. Our ghost towns are nothing but foundations.

Here are some pictures of a coal mine that we recently visited in Northeast Pennsylvania. Our group mantains a website at www.abandonedmines.net. Drop by and see some of what we do. I'll be sure to post a link to your site on our discussion forum.

campp is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Great photos, looks interesting! Thanks Privy Man

HOLY COW!!! Look at all that neat equipment left underground, WOW!!!

That is TOO COOL, and OH what I would give to see a real locomotive left underground like that!!!

NICE!!

Yeah I did that a few times...and it was very sublime to say the least. The reason I'll never do it again is because. I walked into a beauty of a mine about six feet, and ran across a Diamondback. The snake wasn't aggressive, but **** sure scared the **** out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by ripsaw View Post
    Yeah I did that a few times...and it was very sublime to say the least. The reason I'll never do it again is because. I walked into a beauty of a mine about six feet, and ran across a Diamondback. The snake wasn't aggressive, but **** sure scared the **** out of me.
    HOLY MACKEREL! It would have scared the crap outta me too.... I've seen more rattlesnakes in the Las Vegas valley & at Red Rock (the one by Vegas) than I have anywhere else in Nevada or SoCal. Last year I did see a little rattler in Delamar, NV; he was about 2 feet long and sunning itself on some dark rocks, so he stuck out like a sore thumb (thankfully!). He was more scared of me than I of him (of course I was 10 feet away, not about to get closer), and before I could my camera out of the carry bag & turned on, he disappeared down into the rocks, rattling all the way...

I've never seen one inside a mine, and I hope I never do....and I go mine exploring year-round. Maybe I should get one of those Taurus pistols that shoots .410 rounds....

Yea I visited one around Mormon basin a couple years back. went in about two hundred feet, the hole thing changed in a hurry. my friend and I got out of there in a hurry. we camped out side the place, I still have two rattle snake hides on my shed from that trip. We thought about getting some more light and going back, but have not as of yet.

Thread Information