Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Go Into Abandoned Mines?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Thanks Gold Bed!

Originally posted by Cactusman

: Ya know Bob, If ya stop trying to reply to these things in crayon, ya won't hafta clean the monitor so much!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Underground travel

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Speaking from over 3 decades of spelunking, I can tell you with all honesty that you have quite a few precautions to take. I'm sure Cat will concur that you need to start your safety practices before you ever leave home!

: : 1.Plan your trip before you go with any research you can do. Find out anything you can about known hazards. These are things like known hostile wildlife, known hostile humans, known vertical shafts, known previous accidents, and so on...

: : 2.Find at least two partners! There are a few reasons for this. First, SAFETY. If anyone gets hurt,there will be a way someone can get outside to call for help or go get help without leaving your injured partner alone. If you are alone and injured in a mine shaft, your done... game over. There is always the more pleasent reason for partners. You have someone there to share the moment. It can be a great time for good friends to go spelunking in both mines and natural caverns. Last but not least, if you have partners, you don't have to be the one to carry all the equipment!

: : 2.Select your equipment with your trip in mind. No matter what kind of mine or cave you plan to visit, at the very least, wear a bump cap. You can get one at a hardware store cheap. You would be suprised at how much one of those things can protect you from what would seem to be a minor hazard ( If you'll pardon the pun ). You mentioned light. Cat had a good point. Don't rely on one light source. carry at least two flashlights and a couple changes of batteries. I can't tell you how many flashlights I've broken half a mile under ground!

: : 3. Let someone know where you are going! If you and your partners get stuck in a mine behind a wall of rock and timber, it could be considered helpful if someone knew where you went so they can check on you after a set amount of time. This is one of many things that could keep you breathing!

: : 4. There are plenty of other things to think about. Food, Water, First aid kit, the list goes on but need not be overly extensive. If you have never done this kind of thing, contact a local cavers club to get an experienced spelunker as a guide. They are almost always happy to find a new outing to go on and can help you pick the time, place, equipment and plan for your outing.

: : I don't mean to take all the fun out of this type of outing. I would just rather see pictures posted in this site of your bright smilin' face on your trip rather than in an obituary.

: : Have a great time!

: : Cactusman

: Great post C-man..........

: This is excellent advise for all those that may not have that much experience. And I also believe this post should be repeated near the top of the board, for those that may not take the time to scroll down this far......

: bb.

Default Re: Thanks C-man

Originally posted by bad bob

:

: : Ya know Bob, If ya stop trying to reply to these things in crayon, ya won't hafta clean the monitor so much!

: It's not crayon, it's chalk...well corn starch..

: my kids took the crayons...and my cat ate my ****** mouse. I tried hand signals, but no one respond.

: bb.

Default Re: Never considered a tourist mine?

Originally posted by shannon james

: :

: : :

: : : : As far as I know, (which is very little), there are 2 kinds of abandoned mines. Ones that have been made into small tourist attractions, with lights, and maybe a guide, similar to cave attractions. I believe the other type is what you are referring to. The kind that has been boarded up, with skull & crossbones warnings. I give the "cajones" level an 8, out of 10, for these. That leaves 2 for the thrill-seekers, and loonie- tunies, (oh and the dumb kids that don't know no better). [gram intent'l]

: : : : bb.

: : : BB - I always figured that there were two kinds of abandoned mines, neither of which weren't without hazards. I never considered the tourist thing a mine anymore There are the kind without adequate ventilation where carbon dioxide builds up near the ground and some fool (Like the VC teacher) stirs up when entering and gets far enough from the exit that they die. The other kind have ventilation, I know cause some 40 years ago (Stupid kid cutting school) I went investigating one by feeling my way along the wall. Used be able to find dynamite in the back of such mines and boy what a stupid kid could do with dynamite (Specially the kind that sweat - he he boom). I was stopped in my feeling along the wall by the distinctive rattle of one of Ripley nemesis. Stupid kid that I was, I retreated, made a torch out of some oily rags and a stick and went back in to mess with that snake. He was safe, between me and him was this "5 and half second" vertical shaft across the complete "floor". It's a wonder I survived my youth. Ventilation has to come from somewhere? Stay out and stay alive is a very good motto. Talk to someone who has had to go down the 5 second holes to recover some fools remains and you'll know more about old mines than you care too.

: : Already gotcha covered on the dumb kid portion, but what would you now consider the tourist mine?

: : There was one in Placerville, CA called the Bed Bug Mine, and was a tourist attraction. Was there about 1992, don't know if it's still open. So I imagine there are several tourist mines like that one, only in various sizes.

: : bb.

: : Mine

Default Dangerous game

Originally posted by Paul

: I live near some mines, but i would never enter one because of the fear of falling. Don't you get scared of "winzes" or whateva they are called. Even if you survived the fall of a old shaft who is going to come and rescue you.

: So what about the dangers? I have heard you can never be prepared for whats down old mines.

Default Go Into Abandoned Mines?

I am also one of those who is lucky to have survived childhood. A college friend and I have been in virtually all of the roughly 50 abandoned mines surrounding Silver Star Mountain near Washougal Washington over the past 20+ years. The mines overall in these parts are very wet, with water running up to about 2 feet deep. Needless to say, the timbers are either rotten or missing. There are also vertical shafts in some of them. But with the water, they are difficult to see. We do have one rule and that is that we always leave at least one person outside the mine. I did get freaked out one time when we stumbled across a new find. It was only John and myself, so we drew straws and he was the lucky one to go in. Time passed and there was no sign of him. After about 20 minutes I started to get worried. After 40, I am wondering if I should go after him, or go for help. Fortunately, about 5 minutes later I hear sloshing and see reflections of his flashlight. When he got out, he was pumped and said it had to be over 2,000 feet long. Actually it was more like 3,000 feet (which is much more that the average around here at about 100 - 200 feet).
    Several fo the mines we have crawled into (yes, crawled) had collapses at the entrances. So the only way to get in them is to play inchworm and crawl into the small space between the pile of collapsed rock and the top of the tunnel. Thoughts of bears and other wild animals just waiting for us definetly stoked the adrenaline.
    So yes, I have adventured into a lot of abandoned mines. It has been a great adventure along the way. But I know there are risks. We do try to minimize them as much as possible. I just hope we don't have one of our rare earthquakes while inside some of them. That would be more adventure than I would like. Kirk

I've gone in a couple of solid granite type mines, such as the M-8 at Lookout, CA ghost town, the Reward in the Inyo Range near Independence, CA and the Mohawk Mine near Silver Peak, NV.

However, even in those obviously bored through solid granite, the experience is always soured by the "what if" syndrome - as in what if a cave in occured between me and that pinpoint of light out there? Spoils any enjoyment I get out of exploring.

I have a couple of friends who enjoy going in mines. They'll stay in them for hours.

So we have an agreement. I stay outside and we make an agreement that if they don't show up at the appointed time, I'll stand by one hour then take off to get the search and rescue to locate and remove their bodies ...
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Wright View Post
    I've gone in a couple of solid granite type mines, such as the M-8 at Lookout, CA ghost town, the Reward in the Inyo Range near Independence, CA and the Mohawk Mine near Silver Peak, NV.

However, even in those obviously bored through solid granite, the experience is always soured by the "what if" syndrome - as in what if a cave in occured between me and that pinpoint of light out there? Spoils any enjoyment I get out of exploring.

I have a couple of friends who enjoy going in mines. They'll stay in them for hours.

So we have an agreement. I stay outside and we make an agreement that if they don't show up at the appointed time, I'll stand by one hour then take off to get the search and rescue to locate and remove their bodies ...

LOL.. Yer the salt of the earth Davey. Except I'd wait one hour, go home and have a slurpee, then call S&R.
    bb.

I have been in several old mines - the one in solid rock - no wood beam types. Met lots of bats, several skunks and 1 ringtail inside the mine. The woood beam mines may come down on top of you - all it takes is 1 sneeze from the dust!!

To make things more fun, go watch "The Hills Have Eyes 2" then go explore the mines! I watched the movie last Friday. Pretty Cool. Now I am planning a mining camp / mine exploration trip with some of the boys at www.intrepidexplorers.org near Tonopah Nevada. Should be interesting to say the least.
    High Desert Drifter
    Ghost Town Explorations
    www.ghosttownexplorer.com

Thread Information