Thread: GPS Information for Those Who Are Interested

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default GPS Information for Those Who Are Interested

Originally posted by Steve O.

: Last night I had a good discussion with a software engineer who has 10+ years experience coding and testing GPS systems. I told him I wanted a GPS system for Ghost town hunting. We talked about DeLorme, Magellan, and Garmin. Turns out that the best approach is to select the GPS receiver first, then the software package that will work with it. They may not necessarily come from the same vendor. The thing to make sure of is that you get a receiver unit with an external interface, usually a serial interface that can be used with a laptop PC. As long as the receiver outputs data in the "NEMA" standard format, it can be used with most of the standard mapping software applications. He did not recommend the units that interface to the handheld Palm units; the RF front end is not good enough.

: For Ghosttown hunting, he recommended the Garmin receiver, connected to a laptop PC, with an external antenna kit. Any good topo mapping software can be used with it. The use of a laptop PC gives a good large screen, and extra functions with all the processing power.

: Garminn has the best consumer-grade receiver, cost a little more but worth it, while there are sevral good mapping software programs. Take your pick of those. If you are using GPS in your vehicle, the use of an external antenna kit is highly recommended.

: I hope this information is useful to you. This guy has extensively tested GPS systems for the U.S. military and knows of what he speaks.

: My vehicle-based ghosttown hunting GPS system parts list:

: 1. Garmin receiver

: 2. External interface (serial cable) kit

: 3. Laptop PC with 12V adaptor

: 4. Topo mapping software application for the PC

: 5. External antenna kit

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: GPS Information for Those Who Are Interested

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Thanks for passing along that info. I was leaning toward this setup based upon experience from my friend. You confirmed it.

Default Re: Think cheap cheap laptop!

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: : Thanks for passing along that info. I was leaning toward this setup based upon experience from my friend. You confirmed it.

: Hi David Been kinda busy but if you get that setup, let me know how you resolve the dust problem. I've taken a laptop a couple of times and even in a somewhat airtight vehicle, dust is drawn to the screen and really caused me grief. Lots of dust on the screen, none on me or the vehicle's interior. I tried various things including a large ziplock like bag which prevented the dust but made laptop use almost impossible. My solution was to find an old $100 laptop 386/486 vintage just for gps exploring and keep my note taking, research holding laptop in its protective case when moving. Twice the equipment

: BTW, if you scan old 30 minute topos (Make sure you have the correct datum set in your gps, you can really locate some nifty things.

: --bob

Default Re: Think cheap cheap laptop!

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Hi (Yet Another) Bob. My buddy with the laptop w/Garmin running DeLorme was just that ... an old 486 laptop running only Windows and DeLorme. The last trip I was with him on last year it quit due to his probing to find a short and instead ended up blowing out the mother board (see my account of the trip on my website - link below). He didn't care for he had paid only a few bucks for it and it gave him a couple years of regular service. So he let his boy target practice on the computer with a .22 (we cleaned it up, of course). A couple weeks later he found another old 486 laptop and uses that one now.

Default Re: GPS Information for Those Who Are Interested

Originally posted by Lewis

: I have been using the Garmin GPS II Plus for a couple of years. I can hike with it, attach a remote antenna for use in the jeep, and mount it on the mountain bike. I use Delorme Street Atlas and some other Topo Programs also. But just in case, I still carry printouts of the topos of the area with all the location waypoints (mines, gt's, ect.) stored in the GPS and marked on the topo printout.

: I have been using Delorme software since it came out back in the Windows 3.1 days. Since time is a premium, I have found that the GPS and the topo saves a lot of time and I always know where I am.

: -Lewis

: : Last night I had a good discussion with a software engineer who has 10+ years experience coding and testing GPS systems. I told him I wanted a GPS system for Ghost town hunting. We talked about DeLorme, Magellan, and Garmin. Turns out that the best approach is to select the GPS receiver first, then the software package that will work with it. They may not necessarily come from the same vendor. The thing to make sure of is that you get a receiver unit with an external interface, usually a serial interface that can be used with a laptop PC. As long as the receiver outputs data in the "NEMA" standard format, it can be used with most of the standard mapping software applications. He did not recommend the units that interface to the handheld Palm units; the RF front end is not good enough.

: : For Ghosttown hunting, he recommended the Garmin receiver, connected to a laptop PC, with an external antenna kit. Any good topo mapping software can be used with it. The use of a laptop PC gives a good large screen, and extra functions with all the processing power.

: : Garminn has the best consumer-grade receiver, cost a little more but worth it, while there are sevral good mapping software programs. Take your pick of those. If you are using GPS in your vehicle, the use of an external antenna kit is highly recommended.

: : I hope this information is useful to you. This guy has extensively tested GPS systems for the U.S. military and knows of what he speaks.

: : My vehicle-based ghosttown hunting GPS system parts list:

: : 1. Garmin receiver

: : 2. External interface (serial cable) kit

: : 3. Laptop PC with 12V adaptor

: : 4. Topo mapping software application for the PC

: : 5. External antenna kit

Thread Information