Thread: Walker Mine, California

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Walker Mine, California

Originally posted by Jim Carlile

: I lived in Walker Mine, California in 1941 (2 years old). I did NOT find it on your map! It is about 8 miles NW of Spring Garden on the side of Mt. Ingalls in Plumas County. My father was a mining engineer there in 1938 and again in 1941. I was there about 10 years ago and there is not much left. I have a number of old B/W photos of Walker mine when it was operating.

: Copies of these have been donated to the Plumas County Museum.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Walker Mine, California

Originally posted by Virginia Curtsinger

: My husband also lived at Walker Mine approximately the same years as you mentioned. He started school there and can remember quite a lot about the place. We have been there twice in the last ten years. Visited the Plumas County Museum on our last visit but couldn't find much info. Would love to see pictures of the place since we have none. His dad sharpened drill bits while working there.

Default Re: Walker Mine, California

Originally posted by Jim Carlile

: : My husband also lived at Walker Mine approximately the same years as you mentioned. He started school there and can remember quite a lot about the place. We have been there twice in the last ten years. Visited the Plumas County Museum on our last visit but couldn't find much info. Would love to see pictures of the place since we have none. His dad sharpened drill bits while working there.

:

: I submitted a listing and some photos from Walker Mine on this site. My brother donated a group photo of the mine crew taken on July 9, 1936 to the Plumas County Museum in Quincy. I'll e-mail some other photos to you.

Default Clyde Sauget

I also lived at Walker Mine during 1945-1946. Celebrated my 10th birthday there. My father Leroy was a caretaker for the mine. In Augst of 1946 our mother died there and we took her remains back to Illinois for burial. Only my younger sister has returned to visit the mine. I have wanted to for years but never found the time.

Hello, My name is Don Seawater. My people came from Loma Rica ca., and my step grandfather worked at the Walker mine during the mid 1930's. His name was Cecil Ross. Do any of you who worked there or lived there remember him? He made his way to find my grandmother Doris Hensley in Loma Rica, and ended up in Rio Linda near sacramento where he passed away. He was a great person, worked real hard and was very talented.

: I lived in Walker Mine, California in 1941 (2 years old). I did NOT find it on your map! It is about 8 miles NW of Spring Garden on the side of Mt. Ingalls in Plumas County. My father was a mining engineer there in 1938 and again in 1941. I was there about 10 years ago and there is not much left. I have a number of old B/W photos of Walker mine when it was operating.

: Copies of these have been donated to the Plumas County Museum.[/QUOTE]

Smile Need Walker Mine Photos

My "young" parents (17 and 21) lived at Walker Mine in 1948-49 while it was being torn down. They lived in one of the little old houses there on the hill. My mom said that since the town had been abandoned, if they needed a piece of furniture they would just go around looking in the buildings until they found what they wanted. My parents salvaged much lumber from the mine and 60+ years ago they built the first part of the family home outside of Portola from that lumber. I have fond memories of visiting Walker Mine with my parents, enjoying the stories, and enjoying the beautiful meadows and wild flowers around that area. --- My parents have both passed away and a couple of years ago my husband and I bought out my siblings and now own the family home. My mom had an apartment on top of their house (she named it The Buzzard's Roost) and for a short time she rented it out as a vacation rental. We are carrying on her dream and have again opened vacation rentals on the property. I am trying to decorate the original Buzzard's Roost with Walker Mine items. I would appreciate having some photos from when the mine was still operating, but I have not had much luck finding any. If anyone knows of any please email me the information. I would really be excited to share that time period with my customers. ThanX!

Forgive me for digging up a very old thread, but I "may" have a few pictures from when Walker Mine was running. My uncle was born there and my grandfather and great uncle both worked in the mine. I will look in my pictures and if I do I will post them here.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Just bumping the scumbag spammer off.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Just bumping the scumbag spammer off.
    Like wise just the same.

Thread Information