Thread: Road Signs

Default Road Signs

The abandoned car thread gave me an idea. Who has a collection of road signs? I actually collect them as a hobby, sometimes I can actually find real ones and other times I have to have them built to spec brand new. I was curious had anything really old out there like some Auto Trail, US Route or State Highway signs specifically? I'll post up my stuff tomorrow, I'm in the middle of a move and I have to dig through some boxes.

As promised here are my road signs.

The first picture is a grouping of three modern 1971 to present US Route signs. The US 441 sign is a 30 by 24 inch sign and actually is the new minimum MUTCD specification for a US Route Shield as of 2009. Single digit and and two digit route signs are now specified for 24 x 24 inch signs. The reflective vinyl on these signs was actually specified in the 1980s. The US 163 and US 129 signs are 18 x 24 signs that typically would have been reassurance markers.

US 441 is the fourth spur route of US 41 that runs from Knoxville, TN southward to Miami, FL. Although US 441 is mostly known for its route through Great Smoky Mountains National Park it isn't actually signed within the park boundaries currently.

US 163 current runs Kayenta, AZ north to Bluff, UT. This US Route is very short but it traverses Monument Valley in the Navajo Nation. US 163 had a historical northern terminus at US50/6/I70 north of Moab, UT which is currently part of US 191.

US 129 runs from Knoxville, TN to Chiefland, FL. US 129 is known as The Dragon through Deal's Gap on the Tennessee/North Carolina state line on the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Dragon is infamous for its 318 curves in 11 miles, its on of the best but not THE best paved road for driving/riding in the country.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  75.0 KB

The second picture is 1926 version US Route 66 shield. US Route Shields used to be made of either 18 gauge steel or porcelain with baked enamel paint. These signs are 16 inches high by 16.5 inches wide. Sometimes you still see the porcelain 1926 spec signs around, very rare to see the steel versions around due to rust. I had a sign maker build this sign and many others for me at his sign shop in Oregon. The 1926 signs are my favorite because of the raised block numbers vs the FHWA type face used on the 1948 Shields. As for Route 66, there is a reason its on the wall and the others aren't. There is so much more to say about Route 66 than I can say for one picture.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1090
Size:  58.3 KB

This is a modern 24 by 24 inch Arizona State Route Sign. This particular State Route is Highway 88 otherwise known as the Apache Trail. Apache Trail was used as a stage route in the 1920s during the construction of the Salt River Project Dams which resulted in Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt lakes along the Salt River. Roosevelt Dam was the first of the four dams completed in 1911 and was once the largest reservoir lake in the entire country. I'm not totally familiar with the construction of Roosevelt Dam but I imagine that what became the Apache Trail was used since route of the highway was a Native American Raid Trail. What really makes the Apache Trail really unique is that it only partially paved and is one of the curviest highways in the country. From Apache Junction the pavement ends about 20 miles in just past the Ghost Town of Tortilla Flat. The 26 mile dirt portion is very narrow and steep but is graded enough for a car to drive safely. The pavement returns again at Roosevelt Dam and the junction of SR 188 which from Roosevelt Dam to US 60 in Globe actually was part of the Apache Trail itself until 1999. At one point before SR 87 was built traffic from Phoenix had to actually take the Apache Trail to Payson, that must have been truly hellish. Apache Trail will likely always have a State Route designation due to its importance with the Salt River Project and the water supply for the city of Phoenix.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  39.8 KB

Interstate 96 is actually a completely intrastate highway in Michigan leading from downtown Detroit westward to Grand Rapids. I96 actually replaced Grand River avenue which once carried the designations of M16 and US16 prior to its completion in 1977. This is one of my favorite Interstates given that I have lived in Detroit and Lansing Michigan. The Interstate Shield pictured is a 24 by 24 inch sign and is a modern version of the shield. Originally Interstate Shields were only slightly larger than US Route Shields and once displayed the name of the name between the "Interstate" and "Route Number." As far as I know only 24 x 24 and 36 x 36 signs are being used for single and two digit Interstates.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  96.4 KB

Since I already talked about 1971 US Route Shields I won't elaborate on the signage details again. It is worth noting though that the cut-out US Route Shields were discontinued being produced in favor of vinyl/aluminum sheets in 1961. The 1961 signs are very similar to the 1971 US Route Shields albeit the font is slightly different.

US 41 north/south US Route that leads from the Canadian Border in Copper Harbor, MI to Miami, FL. Until 1949 US 41 used to end in Naples, FL at US 94 which was eventually eliminated in favor of US 41 itself east bound to Miami. The AASHTO doesn't like intrastate US Routes less than 300 miles in length and tries to eliminate as many as they can. It makes me wonder what will happen eventually to US 92 and US 191 as US 99 eventually suffered the same in California. US 41 has two notable sections; one being Lakeshore Drive in Chicago meeting the eastern terminus of US 66 and the other being the Tampa to Miami section called the Tamiami Trail which Traverses the Florida Everglades.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  79.8 KB

California Highway 1 is otherwise known as the Pacific Coast Highway. This really is one of the legendary highways in this country running along the edge of the Pacific Ocean. Some of the highlights of the Highway 1 are the Santa Monica Pier, Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Hearst Castle and the Golden Gate Bridge.

My US 395 sign is an example of a 1948 FHWA Type Face US Route shield. I believe that the second generation signs is when aluminum started to be used for US Route Signs. Interestingly California is currently the only state that still uses cutout US Route shields as opposed to the square vinyl sheets seen everywhere else. US 395 is a spur route of US 95 but is only connected to its parent by US 195. At one point US 395 ended at downtown San Diego but it has been cut back to I15 which eventually replaced it in Hesperia, CA. The northern terminus for US 395 is Laurier, WA at the Canadian border.

US 91 was once one of the major north/south US Routes that used to traverse from the Canadian border in Sweet Grass, MN to Long Beach, CA. For Las Vegas Boulevard will always be US 91. US 91 was almost totally replaced by I15 expect for a small section between Utah and Idaho. However the family of spur routes for US 91 still live on with US 191 being a border to border route itself.

US 466 was the fourth spur route of US 66 that began at Morro Bay, CA, met its parent around Barstow, CA and traveled up to Las Vegas, NV on Las Vegas Boulevard. Eventually US 466 was co-signed with US 93 down the Boulder Highway over the Hoover Dam (upon completion) and finally back to Route 66 again in Kingman, AZ.

US 50 is one of the major east/west US Routes. You can tell a US Route was meant to be a mainline Route if it ends in 0 for a east/west route or in 1 for a north/south route. US 50 once had a western terminus in San Francisco but it has been cut back to Sacramento. The Eastern terminus is in Ocean City, MD. US 50 is known mostly for its route through Nevada and the Great Basin Desert where it is known as the Loneliest Highway in America. This section has probably one of the highest concentration of ghost towns in the entire country.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  74.3 KB

This sign is an original reassurance marker for the Lodge Freeway when it became M10 in Michigan in the 1980s. The Lodge actually was an alignment of two classic Michigan US Routes first with US 12 and lastly US 10 which is why it carries the designation of M10 now. M10 was never eligible to become part of the Interstate System due to the fact that it doesn't meet the engineering requirements for Interstate designation. I find this odd since the Lodge was planned and partially constructed in the early 1950s and so many substandard freeways like the Pennsylvania Turnpike were grand fathered in. Either way the Lodge still has some non-freeway sections at its western terminus in West Bloomfield but everything east to its end in downtown Detroit is all freeway.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  66.1 KB

US 1 originally began at the Canadian border in Maine to Miami, FL until 1938 when the Overseas Highway replaced the Overseas Railway. Today US 1 ends in Key West, FL at the Monroe County Court house.

US 27 traditionally ended in Miami, FL and in Grayling, MI. However US 27 didn't even reach Miami until 1949 or didn't enter Florida until 1934. I lived about a tenth of a mile on US 27 north of Lansing until 2001. The entire route in Michigan was decertified in 2002 and has been cut back to Fort Wayne, IN.

US 60 has had an interesting history. The original US 60 was meant to cover the Los Angeles to Chicago Route that eventually became Route 66. The reason for this as that when the original US Route plan was being developed Kentucky was the only mid-west state without a route number ending in 0. The compromise originally was going to being US 62 but at the request of Oklahoma and Missouri it became US 66 and Kentucky ended up the US 60 Route. Ironically Oklahoma actually created US 60 shields that had to be scraped due to the route not being used even though it would be extended into the state sometime later. At its peak US 60 extended all the way to US 101 in downtown Los Angeles, CA and the remains of the highway are now the CA 60 freeway. Currently US 60 ends in Brenda, AZ and will likely be cut back to Wickenburg, AZ if I11 is ever built. Ironically if you look at US 60/70/80/89 together you have idea what signage along Van Burean used to look like in downtown Phoenix, AZ.

US 70 has had a diverse history with multiple alignments mostly in New Mexico. At one point US 70 ended in Holbrook, AZ, another time at the Mexican Border in El Paso, TX and even all the way to US 101 in downtown Los Angeles, CA co-signed with US 99. The eastern end of US 70 has always been in North Carolina, currently the west end is US 60 in Globe, AZ.

US 80 used to extend from downtown San Diego, CA to Tybee Island, GA until 1973. From there US 80 was gradually shortened to its western terminus now in Dallas, TX. Outside US 66, US 80 probably suffered one of the greatest declines in towns replaced by the Interstate system. Almost every town in the Sonoran Desert from Gila Bend to the outskirts of San Diego County, CA have been decimated since I 8 replaced it.

US 89 once was a border to border route (from 1934 to 1992) extending from the Canadian border at Piegan, MT to the Mexican border in Nogalas, AZ. Along with US 80, US 89 were the two US Routes that crossed through downtown Tucson. In 1992 US 89 and with the original US 89A were truncated or in the case of US 89A removed. US 89 was truncated to US 180 in Flagstaff, AZ while US 89A became SR 89A. I'm actually surprised that US 89 just didn't follow the original US 89A (1941 to 1992) through Sedona, Jerome and Prescott to US 93 instead of being cut back to Flagstaff, AZ.

US 99 was a major north/south route on the west coast leading from 1928 from the Mexican Border in Calexico, CA to Blaine, WA at the Canadian border. US 99 was eliminated in the late 1960s being mostly replaced by I5. The largest remaining portion of this US Route has evolved into CA99 and may become I7 when it is fully upgraded to freeway standards.

US 101 is the western most major north/south US Route. Today US 101 has its southern terminus in downtown Los Angeles, CA but until 1966 it extended to the Mexican Border south of San Diego. US 101 has always had its end in various locations within the state of Washington.

US 666 was the sixth spur route of Route 66 hence its unfortunate...or if you think like me fortunate number. Originally US 666 was routed between Cortez, CO (eventually Monticello, UT) and Gallup, NM at Route 66. In 1938 US 666 was routed into Arizona briefly along US 66 and southward to Douglas, AZ on the Mexican border. This is probably when US 666 picked up the nickname "The Devil's Highway" as it traversed the exterme eastern reached of Arizona along what is known as the Coronando Trail. The Coronando Trail is about 120 trail leading from Greer, AZ to Morenci, AZ. The trail traverses the White Mountains and is mostly 9,500 to 6,500 above sea level. The Coronando Trail is named after the lead of a Spanish expedition leader who in the 1540s searched the White Mountains for one of the seven cities of gold, in particular the city of Cibola. Cibola was never found but the trail of Coronando remains and as far as paved highways go, its THE BEST in the entire country. One 63 mile section of the Coronando Trail and old US 666 has about 600 curves, all at high elevation, no guardrails, no highway patrol and is one of the most beautiful drives in the country. US 666 became infamous for this section because of fear it inspired along this route. Arizona petitioned the AASHTO successfully to replace US 666 with US 191 in 1992 cutting back US 666 to its original alignment. In 2003 US 666 was resigned as US 491 from Monticello to Gallup.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  93.0 KB
    Last edited by El Burro Camaro; 04-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.

No wonder soo many get lost :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler View Post
    No wonder soo many get lost :-)
    Yes I know, a lot of people have a hard time understanding the difference between US Routes, Interstates and State Routes. My uncle was with me when I picked up my US 95 sign and kept insisting it was the Interstate that traveled from Maine to Miami. Back out west in Arizona we actually had a State Route 95 that ended at US 95, I wouldn't even try to explain that to him. lol

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
    Yes I know, a lot of people have a hard time understanding the difference between US Routes, Interstates and State Routes. My uncle was with me when I picked up my US 95 sign and kept insisting it was the Interstate that traveled from Maine to Miami. Back out west in Arizona we actually had a State Route 95 that ended at US 95, I wouldn't even try to explain that to him. lol

Pretty sure he meant it was because you had all the road signs.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Pretty sure he meant it was because you had all the road signs.
    I'm pretty sure too. lol

jiaopibuy Guest

現代のゴルフクラブの選び方を考える際、一昔前と違って大きな技術革新を迎えてきているといえ るでしょう。激安ゴルフクラブ 特にドライバーは目を見張るほど進歩しています。

今、ドライバーの飛距離が伸びないと悩んでいる方でもドライバーを最新のクラブに思い切って買い替えるのも ひとつの方法でしょう。MP-59アイアン クラブを買い換えるだけで技術的には今までと同じでも飛距離や方向性の問題も一気に解決される可能性を秘め ているのです。では今の最新ドライバーというクラブが持つ傾向はどんなものなのでしょうか。それは、最近作 られているドライバーはチタン合金を使用している点にあります。これによって、、軽量化と言う特徴を生かさ れてヘッドが大型化しているのです。

このため、今までよりも格段にスイートエリアが広がったのは一度、使ってみるとわかると思いま す。MP-59 次に低スピンになる様な構造を持つことも有利に働いています。高い弾道で飛距離を出すことがアマチュアゴル ファーでも可能になってきているのです。

こうした点に注意しながら、ゴルフカタログやゴルフ雑誌を見ると今までとは少し違った角度からクラブの特性 が見えてきて、ゴルフクラブの選び方の参考になるのではないでしょうか。ミズノMP-59アイアン

Thread Information