Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Route 66 Adventures (California)

East from Cadiz Summit is a collection of about 3 building on the south side of US 66. This site is all that remains of Danby. I think the buildings are inhabited as there are a lot of modern cars and trucks on site. Just past the buildings is Danby Road which leads down to the Rail Tracks.

East of Danby is the town of Essex. Apparently Essex has 89 people living in it, but on several trips past the town I have yet to see one of them. There is a US Post Office that appears to be recently abandoned in the last couple years. There are some modern cars around but not a person in sight and none of the business buildings appear to have current occupants. Essex was featured on the Johny Carson Show in 1977 as the last town in America without television. The area is so remote that it took that long to get a national broadcast signal to reach the town.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  42.9 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  32.4 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  55.5 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  31.2 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  40.2 KB

As US 66 continues east of Essex it crosses under I40 and continues north of the Interstate. The first town encountered is Fenner. I’m not sure if Fenner has a real population but they do have gas for about $5.50 a gallon, an RV park and they seem to be in charge of the rest area on I40. The condition of US 66 gets really bad at this point, I basically drove in the middle of the road when I last passed through.
    To the East of Fenner is Goffs. Goffs much like Essex is supposed to have a population, but nobody is to be seen. This town probably has the most well maintained buildings left of what is the Mojave section of US 66. There is supposed to be a train museum here, but I can’t find it.

East of Goffs US 66 follows the Santa Fe Railroad closely. If you pay attention you can see a rail road junction and a sign for Homer Road. This is what is left of the town of Homer. East of Homer is the junction with US 95. US 95 is one of main roads to Las Vegas to the North. Running south US 66 and US 95 continue past a grassy field which sometimes has a beef jerky stand which, is what is left of Jaba. I’ve never been able to find Ibis, my guess is that the town site was completely swallowed up by I40.

Views: 504
Size:  72.0 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  28.2 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  30.7 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  32.1 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  27.5 KB

US 66 and US 95 continue south and merge back to east bound I40 towards Needles and the Arizona State line. Needles is a town of about 5,000 people on the Arizona State Line and along the Colorado River. The town gets its name for a mountain formation of the Arizona side of the Colorado called The Needles. Through Needles US 66 and US 95 continue along Broadway. The big thing to see in Needles is the El Garces Hotel and Station. The Station was built in 1908 by the Fred Harvey Company for the Santa Fe Railroad. The Hotel ran in operation until 1949 and the train depot until 1988 when it was finally abandoned. The town of Needles started to restore the depot which was supposed to reopen in 2008 (never happened). Apparently the site is still under remodel as there a lot of crews inside the Station itself and the attached park seemed to be maintained.

Views: 520
Size:  33.6 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  68.0 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  37.5 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  41.4 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  34.4 KB

Upon exiting the town US 95 continues south into the Mojave while US 66 resumes being called the National Trails Highway east towards the Colorado River. Along the Colorado River on US66 is Park Moabi. Park Moabi is a San Bernardino County park and beach. The Park includes Pirates Cove which can be rented out to vacation on the Colorado River. Just to the east of Park Moabi is the old crossings of US66 over the Colorado River. If you look closely you can see the remains of the Red Rocks Bridge which was used from 1947 to 1966 to carry US66 traffic over the Colorado. The Red Rocks Bridge was dismantled in 1974 to make way for I40. Over on a dirt service road and easily seen off in the distance is the Old Trails Archway Bridge. The Old Trails Archway Bridge was the original bridge that carried US66 across the Colorado. The Archway Bridge has long been modified to carry a gas pipeline. To get into Arizona now I40 must be used.

Views: 520
Size:  55.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  59.1 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  36.6 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  51.3 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  46.0 KB

Appreciate all the photos, and of course, descriptions.

I agree, great photos and information, thanks for sharing.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Quote Originally Posted by bob3 was bob2 View Post
    I agree, great photos and information, thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wimc View Post
    Appreciate all the photos, and of course, descriptions.
    Just loaded my Route 66 Arizona album. The Arizona album is about twice as detailed in covering the route, towns, ghost towns, National Park Units and spur routes. I appreciate the compliments.

Excellent, I just checked it out! Looks like a great route with plenty to see an do. I have only covered route 66 in California.
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

May have traveled route 66 back in the 70's, but not recent, does the route go all the way through, if known.
    Last edited by wimc; 04-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wimc View Post
    May have traveled route 66 back in the 70's, but not recent, does the route go all the way through, if known.
    There are a lot of spots where you have to jump on the Interstate or have some serious off road driving ability. Although the entire Route has been decommissioned since 1985 the California Route 66 is completely intact right up to the crossing of the Colorado River into Arizona. A good example of how things got messed up is in Arizona east of Flagstaff. Apparently nobody thought that anyone would want to travel on an old US Highway when the Interstate was available so grading machines were taken to the sections that could have been frontage roads. Basically you either have to jump from exit to exit, travel business loops in towns OR roll the dice from the torn up sections going off road. Tracking down the alignments of Route 66 is very difficult also as a lot of it was unpaved or realigned several times over half a century ago.
    Last edited by El Burro Camaro; 04-13-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Thread Information