Thread: Aurora Directions

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Aurora Directions

Originally posted by Larry Knight

: Yatah Hey fellow ghosttowners. We are going to try and squeeze in one last trip before snow to Aurora and Bodie. We will be leaving from Bishop CA going to Aurora. I don't see any distinct roads from these internet maps. If someone can give me general directions, and any tips, it would be greatly appreciated. My Jeep can get there with a little of your help. Thanks!!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Aurora Directions

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Argh, thought someone would have answered ya before now. The way I go in is at the major intersection on the Sweetwater/Lucky Boy Pass road about a mile toward Hawthorne from the rnach where you ford the creek. There is a road coming up from Mason Valley (Yerrington area) which crosses and then goes to Aurora. Now if I was at home I'd whip out a map and tell ya all sort of road numbers.
    : Unfortunately, your coming from Bishop and I'm not sure this is the best waay from that direction. If you go to Bridgeport on 395 then follow the Walker River into Nevada, the paved road leaves the river and heads toward Sweetwater Summit. There is a dirt road to the right that goes to Hawthorne via Lucky Boy Pass. Follow that road, cross the river, note the road on your right to Masonic but don't take it. The road your on goes right through a ranch, 5 MPH, (kinda think there is a sign saying something about slowing down for livestock or not taking the road), you ford a little creek and head toward Hawthorne. The road gets wider about the intersection (About a mile or two after the ranch) and there is a major intersection. Take the road to the right to Aurora.
    : I believe there are signs if some nimrod hasn't vandalized them. Still hope someone who has been there this year will respond. BTW, if it is quicker to Hawthorne than Sweetwater, you can go over Lucky Boy and then you'd turn left. The road you want is about half way between Sweetwater and Hawthorne. I teach at UNLV after work so don't get home till very late but if I get a chance, I'll put some numbers with these very shakey instructions if no one else responds. Yet another Bob

Default Re: Some more Aurora route information.

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Ok, all I could find at home was an old map with Nevada 22 on it but I know there is a new state highway number. The way I'll describe is from Bridgeport. Head northeast down the East Fork of the Walker River on the paved road from Bridgeport to Wellington. I think in is Nevada 338 but I'm not sure and it ain't that in California. Where the road leaves the Walker River and turns up Sweetwater Creek, you make a very sharp turn to the right (Maybe 150 degrees). You follow the dirt road (Some stutter bumps if it hasn't been graded lately) and it crosses the Walker River at Sonoma Camp then continue like your going to Hawthorne, there is a jeep road to Masonic off this road as well but your going to Aurora. You'll come to a ranch where you ford a creek and then as your leave the ranch, watch for a good road coming up from Mason Valley (A mile or two after the ranch). Where the roads cross, turn right. (Kinda remember a fifth road which goes over to the Fletcher site (Maybe a mile away) but you'll take about a 90 degree turn. This heads up a wash where the road bears to the left and another continues up the wash, The way up the wash is rough, it takes you to Del Monte but I recommend going there from Aurora. Staying on the road that didn't continue up the wash, I remember a large lava flow on my left. Just follow the main road to Aurora. This is the easiest way in. I bet you can get there from Nevada 359 somewhere after the Nevada border and before Anchorite Pass, I've gone out that way many years ago and don't think I had to go into California. If your head northeast from Aurora, there is a way to Del Monte. If you turn left at Del Monte, you go up a nifty canyon, run into a sometimes creek (Maybe named Bodie Creek) and after a while you get to Bodie. I don't recommend that road as it has been twenty years or so and seems it was often washed out. Sure wish someone who has been there this year would respond. Yet another Bob

Default Re: Aurora Directions

Originally posted by Pat

: The very easiest way with minimal navigation issues is to go via Bodie, taking the road past the parking lot in a northerly direction. You'll pass a park building complex and several other older buildings on the way. This road was perfectly passable in August, though rough. When it tees on an improved gravel road, turn right. You'll see a sign referring to the active mine up there, but there were no other signs at that point. This puts you in Lime Kiln canyon and you'll see a furnace on your left before long. i don't recall seeing any signs; we navigated using several ghost town books and an atlas, and believe me, we can tell you exactly where Aurora isn't. After the furnace and giant chimney, you'll come to a rough road on your right going up the hill. Eventually you'll come to a historic sign in the vicinity of the cemetary. We ran out of daylight before visiting the cemetary. Past the sign in a southerly direction, you'll come to various remnants, all familiar from various website photography collections. You can continue south and aim for Hwy 167 or wander in a circle and head back the way you came. Access to Sweetwater road is simple, just go straight ahead when you come to the road leading to Bodie. There are signs out on the main road, I believe. Stan Paher's new edition of Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps has a pretty good map on page 201, and was probably the most useful of all that we bought. You also should have both the Nevada and Northern California DeLorme atlases. While these do not show the minor roads, they give good general navigation, and these are the maps used by many emergency services dispatchers. When hunting for information in the ghost town books, remember to be sure that you're looking in the one for the right state. We traveled through Lucky Boy to Sweetwater later in the trip, easy road all the way. That cuts down on the fun, however. Allow lots of daylight to make the trip across from Bodie, as the road is slow. The biggest thing to remember is that sometimes you find the best things when you're a little lost. We do all our traveling in a lightly modified TJ, and average over 2000 miles per vacation.

Default Re: Aurora Directions - Instructions and Mileage

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Since you plan to visit Bodie and are coming from Bishop, CA, a visit to Aurora from Bodie will be most practical. Directions below.

: From Bodie State Park - Parking Area
    : North (turn right out of parking area) and follow road to bottom of the hill, 1,400 feet to where road junctions with the former main street of Bodie. Turn left. Follow this road down along Bodie Creek.

: At 6.8 miles from Bodie parking area you will hit the state line, marked by a cattle crossing. Continue along main road.

: At 9.5 miles from Bodie parking area you will encounter mill ruins. This is the former site of Del Monte, a milling are for Aurora ores. Topo maps show a road heading east to Aurora. As of last year it was impassible (a friend tried). Continue along main road down Del Monte Canyon and Bodie Creek.

: Soon the canyon will widen and the forest will grow sparce to sagebrush. At 12.9 miles from Bodie parking area you will encounter a good road going to the right. Turn here, south.

: At 15.7 miles from Bodie parking area you will see a road turning right. It was not signed as of August 2000, my last visit. Turn right here. Ahead will be the huge tailings of a modern strip mining operation and you probably won't get much further along the main road.

: At 16.8 miles from Bodie parking area you will junction with the short road to the Aurora cemetery. You will be able to see some markers from this point.

: At 17.0 miles from Bodie parking area you will come to "downtown" Aurora. You will see a few remains here at the junction at the bottom of the gulch. The main part of town is to your left.

: In August of 2000, my last visit, an easy drive of one hour took me from Bodie to Aurora, driving a stock 2000 Toyota 4-Runner. The road varies from rough to smooth in sections. There is one water crossing in a wet meadow at the site of a toll station (stone ruins, very obvious), which posed no problem other than a little mud on the rocker pannels.

: It is best to have a copy of Stan Paher's book, NEVADA GHOST TOWNS & MINING CAMPS or AURORA, GODDESS OF THE DAWN with you (the latter available in the museum at Bodie) for photographs of contemporary Aurora during its two time heyday (1860s and a second boom in the first decade of the 1900s) for comparison and to get your bearings to find landmarks shown in these photos.

Default Directions and recent conditions

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: Aurora is a backyard favorite of ours. We've been there several times this summer. The quickest and easiest route is take 395 from Bishop north.
    : As you reach Bridgeport you will take a right hand turn onto highway 182, aka The Sweetwater Highway (signs say to Wellington).
    : Just past the Nevada state sign start watching for a sign on your right hand side that says Hawthorne 38 Miles, dirt road.
    : You'll take the dirt road for several miles (not sure exacty milage). You'll pass through a farm yard.
    : After the farm yard make a right hand turn at the first major crossing.
    : Watch for the brick kiln on your left. Just past the kiln you'll need to start watching for a small dirt road on your right. This road goes up a hill and then around to Aurora.
    : Once on this dirt road just follow the more travelled route and it will take you where you want to go.
    : Keep an eye out for a plaque inset into a boulder on your right, follow this side road to the cemetary. Or stay straight and go to the townsite!
    : I've been there recently and all roads are in decent shape, with only washboard conditions to consider.
    : A side note: David Wright mentioned a side road into Aurora from the Del Monte mill that he said was impassable. As long as you have high clearance and some cajones its do-able! The jeep had no problems.

: : Argh, thought someone would have answered ya before now. The way I go in is at the major intersection on the Sweetwater/Lucky Boy Pass road about a mile toward Hawthorne from the rnach where you ford the creek. There is a road coming up from Mason Valley (Yerrington area) which crosses and then goes to Aurora. Now if I was at home I'd whip out a map and tell ya all sort of road numbers.
    : : Unfortunately, your coming from Bishop and I'm not sure this is the best waay from that direction. If you go to Bridgeport on 395 then follow the Walker River into Nevada, the paved road leaves the river and heads toward Sweetwater Summit. There is a dirt road to the right that goes to Hawthorne via Lucky Boy Pass. Follow that road, cross the river, note the road on your right to Masonic but don't take it. The road your on goes right through a ranch, 5 MPH, (kinda think there is a sign saying something about slowing down for livestock or not taking the road), you ford a little creek and head toward Hawthorne. The road gets wider about the intersection (About a mile or two after the ranch) and there is a major intersection. Take the road to the right to Aurora.
    : : I believe there are signs if some nimrod hasn't vandalized them. Still hope someone who has been there this year will respond. BTW, if it is quicker to Hawthorne than Sweetwater, you can go over Lucky Boy and then you'd turn left. The road you want is about half way between Sweetwater and Hawthorne. I teach at UNLV after work so don't get home till very late but if I get a chance, I'll put some numbers with these very shakey instructions if no one else responds. Yet another Bob

Default Re: Aurora Directions- THANK YOU

Originally posted by Larry Knight

:
    : THANK YOU ALL THAT POSTED THE DIRECTRIONS AND ROAD CONDITIONS. MUCH APPRECIATED ESPECIALLY SINCE THE KIDS WILL BE WITH US THIS TIME!

Default This past Spring from Bodie to Aurora

Originally posted by Chris Bazan

: My wife and I drove through Bodie, down the old Bodie road and up to Aurora back in May. I have a 94 Mazda truck, stick shift, without 4 wheel drive and I made it. However, it was a drive that I would not recommend without 4 wheel drive. The scenery was beautiful and we took some great pictures. How is Rhyolite?

Thread Information