Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Route 66 Adventures (Arizona)

Quote Originally Posted by azpete View Post
    Sorry for jumping in here.... but the next time you get back to AZ, take your Camaro to the Partridge Creek bridge on old '66 just west of Ash Fork. I got my Vette in there (see my avatar) with a bit of careful driving. Didn't bottom out once. Great photo ops..... Nice old bridge with a tree growing on the west end. I drove across the bridge to the end of the road on the east end just outside of Ash Fork.........../Pete
    That's what I heard but I couldn't find the entrance to where the old US 66 pavement ran from Seligman to Ash Fork. It looked like on the maps that it was possible to get in going through a gas station just off I40 as US 66 turns into Ash Fork itself. That's one of two things I think were really missing from my album along with Pinta Road just east of the Petrified Forest.

I'll send ya a msg with directions........../Pete

Quote Originally Posted by azpete View Post
    I'll send ya a msg with directions........../Pete
    Just got it, much appreciated.

Do you have the photos of your Vette and the bridge posted anywhere?
    Explore Forums Ghost Town and Mining Camp Forums

Create your own ghost town galleries, blogs, forums, discussion, and much more, free.

Quote Originally Posted by bob3 was bob2 View Post
    Do you have the photos of your Vette and the bridge posted anywhere?
    I dug up some photos of the Partridge Bridge on the net:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  39.3 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  96.8 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  56.5 KB

Also here pictures of the Painted Desert Trading Post east of the Petrified Forest:

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  6.7 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  26.0 KB

To elaborate further the dirt road with all the old power line poles running through the Petrified Forest National Park IS Route 66. Basically from where I40 cut it off at Adamana, Route 66 is basically a butchered dirt road through the park. Route 66 travels east of of the Park but it is gated near the park road preventing direct access to the Painted Desert Trading Post. You have a couple options to get to the Painted Desert Traiding post; first Pinta Road at I40 exit 320 but its gated where it meets Route 66 (thank you Pete, I wasn't sure if this gate existed) or going under I40 at exit 325 at near the Navajo Trade Center. I'm not 100% sure but I think the gate on Pinta Road can be climbed over if you're up for a hike but going up to exit 325 should allow access for a high clearance 4WD vehicle. There is actually some great reference material on youtube of all places showing how bad Route 66 is to the Painted Desert Trading Post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfyLiT1KrGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEo5ejSETCA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21FkVTL1-l4

Also here is some reference material for how to get Painted Desert Trading Post:

http://forum.historic66.com/viewtopi...=4906&start=15

Also I forgot to mention something worth seeing near Twin Arrows Trade Post. Just to west of Twin Arrows is Padre Canyon. On the North Side of I40, Route 66 used to cross Padre Canyon on the Padre Canyon Bridge. It looks like if you get off on exit 219 at Twin Arrows and follow it east to the I40 overpass bridge it crosses north to an old dirt section of Route 66 that tracks back to the west to the Padre Canyon Bridge. I'm thinking this section is part of the original 1926 unpaved alignment as you can tell on the satellite photos that it doesn't exactly align with Twin Arrows. I didn't attempt it myself as there is a home right there on the dirt road and I guess its considered private land. Apparently though it might be possible to ask the owner permission to cross the bridge as the attached video suggests. Also I attached some net pictures. The third image shows a satellite view of Padre Canyon with the tip of my index finger pointing to the Padre Canyon Bridge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrE0TV-kzKQ

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  16.8 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  65.9 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  79.0 KB

wow thanks for all the work you put into this .i had to reregistar to thank you .i was cleaning out my favorits and found this web site been a few years since i ve been here and couldnt remember password or user name anyway great pics and history been 30 years since i went down 66 and 40

Quote Originally Posted by welder7018 View Post
    wow thanks for all the work you put into this .i had to reregistar to thank you .i was cleaning out my favorits and found this web site been a few years since i ve been here and couldnt remember password or user name anyway great pics and history been 30 years since i went down 66 and 40
    No problem; its actually a lot of fun to do the research on the old road alignments and towns along Route 66. I'm hoping to finish the total circuit again from Santa Monica to Chicago in a couple years. There are some really nice ghost towns and alignments in New Mexico, Texas and Oklahoma that I want to see more of. I first did the full route from Chicago westward in 2001 and I worked all of Route 66 from Santa Monica to Albuquerque which allowed me a lot of free time to explore. I have a bunch of material for the east coast as well that I haven't posted, unfortunately it seems that many of my photos were stolen from this site and used for ill purposes. Hopefully I'll be able to post them here again if the site becomes more secure access wise.

Thread Information