Thread: Modern Ghost Towns

Question Modern Ghost Towns

Hello, my name is Katrina and ghost towns have always been an interest of mine. Because of this, I recently wrote an article on a user generated content site covering Pleasure Beach CT, Picher OK, Centralia PA and Donnan IA. I wanted to add to the content, specifically towns that have been abandoned in the past 50years or so and still have buildings standing. Does anyone no of any scattered across the states that I could add to it? Most of my searches come up with the ghost towns of the American west, and while those are fascinating, they are not what I was looking for. Any help would be great, but if I'm out of line in asking just let me know.

This is off topic, but I had some trouble logging in, an ad is in the way. The way I got around it was by making my internet window smaller until the add moved far enough away. Hope this helps someone else who may have been having trouble. I did a search in the forums and couldn't find a solution. Here was mine
    Last edited by skydancer442; 05-22-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Did I do something wrong in asking?

Quote Originally Posted by skydancer442 View Post
    Did I do something wrong in asking?
    No, the site is pretty dead these days with all the spammers. I think some of the valid new users got filtered out also as well. I would suggest probably looking in Florida if you want something unique and not covered much. I did a couple towns already last year but there are tons more; especially when it comes to phosphate mines or lumber mills.

Thank you for the info on FL. It's really to bad that the site is going through such a hard time, I wish I would have found it before now. I have always loved this topic but didn't really want to go to places that had been commercialized. Ah well, I'll stick around and hope for the best

Would you include ones that still have a population, but that population has drastically increased? If so, Cairo IL and Thurmond WV seem to be ideal ...

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by skydancer442 View Post
    Hello, my name is Katrina and ghost towns have always been an interest of mine. Because of this, I recently wrote an article on a user generated content site covering Pleasure Beach CT, Picher OK, Centralia PA and Donnan IA. I wanted to add to the content, specifically towns that have been abandoned in the past 50years or so and still have buildings standing. Does anyone no of any scattered across the states that I could add to it? Most of my searches come up with the ghost towns of the American west, and while those are fascinating, they are not what I was looking for. Any help would be great, but if I'm out of line in asking just let me know.

This is off topic, but I had some trouble logging in, an ad is in the way. The way I got around it was by making my internet window smaller until the add moved far enough away. Hope this helps someone else who may have been having trouble. I did a search in the forums and couldn't find a solution. Here was mine

Strevel, Idaho

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Strevell&state=ID

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaptopCub View Post
    Would you include ones that still have a population, but that population has drastically increased? If so, Cairo IL and Thurmond WV seem to be ideal ...
    I was looking for towns that still had modern buildings but no population. I'll probably write another article on towns with almost no populations so thanks for the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Thank you!

There are several ghost towns in Illinois. Farming town where factories closed and and people moved away because there was no work. Farmers lost there land and the population of the towns dropped to almost nothing. All the factories in Mt Carmel ILL closed about 40% of the population moved. Fairfield ILL population dropped about 35%. Cisne IL population dropped to about 200. Geff ILL population dropped to about 50. Browns IL population is very low not sure if 10 people live there now. Belmont IL dropped to about 150. These are only the towns that i know about in the area where I once lived. Retirement folks looking for a nice quiet place to live have found these towns and are moving in and population. Lots of houses for sale at a very low price. Mt Carmel is tearing down all the houses that have been empty for 2 years. Train depot was tore down, Snap On tool building gone, Misners factory gone, railroad round house and railroad yard gone, ice factory gone, buildings on main street gone and boarded up. Now that retirement folks are moving in population is up in several of the towns. I have relatives in central illinois it is interesting to drive to all the towns and look population has dropped 50 to 70% in many towns and towns still look like they did 100 years ago. Most of the towns dont have money to tear down old buildings like Mt Carmel Il is doing.
    Last edited by gary350; 12-24-2014 at 07:17 AM.

I would love to know some specific locations. I'm in Peoria now and I would love to explore!

Thread Information