Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Headache trying To Locate Lone Star Mine, Lone Star Canyon, AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by 40FORDJIM View Post
    Here's directions to the Copper Glance Mine. I think Sam Donnellson was involved in this one and his Lone Star Mine was nearby. What do you think?

Directions to Copper
    Glance Mine:

Drive towards Sunnyside town site on FR 228, past the turnoff to Sunnyside Cemetery. Turn right at T junction on road marked “Sunnyside Canyon and Copper Glance Mine.” FR 204. Go 1.8 miles. A road on the left goes .7 miles to the start of the Sunnyside Canyon hiking trail. It is 3.5 miles to hike to Copper Glance Mine.
    Absolutely correct. The Copper Glance Mine was Sam Donnelly's main income at that time. Getting to the Copper Glance is a nice hike in the Fall with clearly marked trails. In 1898 the mine filled with water after striking an underground spring. They were never able to get the water to recede so that ended work at the Copper Glance. The upper and lower main buildings at the Copper Glance were dismantled and the materials were used to help build the town of Sunnyside. The folks living up at the Copper Glance moved down and built the small town of Sunnyside later that year. Sam Donnelly resided at the Lone Star. The Lone Star Mine came later. It never produced enough for the folks living at Sunnyside to survive on. They eventually depended on their saw mill for income, later even that fell through. Sam Donnelly is buried in an unmarked grave at the Lone Star Mine. Some say he was buried with a pole sticking up from the grave where his mouth was, so he would be able to speak with God in his after life.
    Yes the Lone Star is nearby, roughly 3 miles S.E. of Sunnyside. That is the most credible information I have been able to find. More than likely I'll have to go hunting and with some luck might find the area.

Red face Sunnyside To Copper Glance Mine. S.E. Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by win22250 View Post
    Absolutely correct. The Copper Glance Mine was Sam Donnelly's main income at that time. Getting to the Copper Glance is a nice hike in the Fall with clearly marked trails. In 1898 the mine filled with water after striking an underground spring. They were never able to get the water to recede so that ended work at the Copper Glance. The upper and lower main buildings at the Copper Glance were dismantled and the materials were used to help build the town of Sunnyside. The folks living up at the Copper Glance moved down and built the small town of Sunnyside later that year. Sam Donnelly resided at the Lone Star. The Lone Star Mine came later. It never produced enough for the folks living at Sunnyside to survive on. They eventually depended on their saw mill for income, later even that fell through. Sam Donnelly is buried in an unmarked grave at the Lone Star Mine. Some say he was buried with a pole sticking up from the grave where his mouth was, so he would be able to speak with God in his after life.
    Yes the Lone Star is nearby, roughly 3 miles S.E. of Sunnyside. That is the most credible information I have been able to find. More than likely I'll have to go hunting and with some luck might find the area.
    Does anyone know if you can go from the Sunnyside ghost town in Cochise County to the Copper Glance Mine by use of an ATV? There seems to be conflicting reports. Thanks in advance. JB

Quote Originally Posted by win22250 View Post
    Does anyone know if you can go from the Sunnyside ghost town in Cochise County to the Copper Glance Mine by use of an ATV? There seems to be conflicting reports. Thanks in advance. JB

It appears that the Copper Glance Mine and the trail to it from Sunnyside are in the Miller Peak Wilderness

Thread Information