Thread: John Butterfield's Overland Mail Company in Arizona.

Syracuse, NY, Arizona, the Klondike, Yukon Territory.

Default John Butterfield's Overland Mail Company in Arizona.

Unfortunately there is much misinformation about this great stage line. There were only twenty-six Butterfield stage stations in Arizona (1858-1861). Some of the common myths for the location of his stations in Arizona are Four's Fort, Dos Cabezas, Tres Alamos, and Chloride just to name a few. Also there is the misguided notion that the Butterfield Overland Mail Company was a Wells, Fargo & Express company.
    Also, it has been stated by some that Butterfield's stage drivers were "rough-tough frontiersmen." Actually most were from Upstate New York. Many of the employees were from Upstate New York, not far from Butterfield's home in Utica.
    Five of the twenty-six stations in Arizona have New York State names. It was a "New York State" line in many ways.
    I have been involved with providing information to the National Park Service for information for the Resource Study Act to support the bill in Congress to designate the Butterfield Trail as a National Historic Trail. Presently I am involved with designing new interpretive markers for Arizona's Dragoon Springs Stage Station for the National Forest Service.
    A few facts. No Butterfield Overland Mail Company stage was ever robbed and no one was ever killed on his stages. Also, Only "Overland Mail Company" was on his stages--not "Butterfield." He never used stagecoaches in Arizona, only a stage (celerity) wagon that he designed.
    Wells, Fargo & Co. never operated as a stage line with their own name on a stagecoach in Arizona.
    Attached is a map of Butterfield's stage stations in Arizona.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gerald T. Ahnert; 09-16-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate the detail, clarity and accompanying map.

Default John Butterfield's Overland Mail company in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by shirohniichan View Post
    Thank you for the information. I appreciate the detail, clarity and accompanying map.
    Thanks for the map. I might have to do more research,but there is supposed to be a Butterfield Stage Stop in Selma,Texas about a couple of miles from me. They finally restored it enough to protect it and the city has a center where you can view artifacts from it,a vistor's center.
    Never knew the thing was there until the local newspaper did a story on it ages ago.I did contact the city and gave them information on getting ahold of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, but they didn't even give me the courtsey of a thank you.I assume if it is a Butterfield this one was on a route to San Antonio which is about 20 miles from here. Up in Comal County on FM311 is what remains of the town of Wesson. There is also a stage stop there too. Not sure if it belonged to an organized outfit like Butterfield or somebody else. Also on Bulverde Road where it intersects with Lower Smithson Valley Road north of San Antonio is a very old oak tree. Under it for over 100 years was a stone with milage to different towns listed on it.Dated back to stage coach days. No one bothered it until one day they had an article about in the paper and the thing later disappeared.

Thread Information