Thread: Anyone got info on these, M`Cabe Mine, Bug Bug, Silver Belt, Silver Cave, Yavapai Co.

Default Anyone got info on these, M`Cabe Mine, Bug Bug, Silver Belt, Silver Cave, Yavapai Co.

Hi there,

I`m from Ireland and have been doing research into one my ancestors, a g, g, g uncle (a Hugh McCrum).
    Apparently he became involved in Mining particularly in Yavapai county in the period 1870-1900 approx. Also had a whisky importing business operating from San Francisco and supplying the saloons and bars on the pacific slope (Sroufe & McCrum)

Hugh and his family emigrated from Belfast, Ireland around 1850 when the great Potato Famine hit, the first record of him was in the 1860 census at PineGrove Township No.3, calif, registered as a `Miner`.
    WiKi describes this as a Gold Camp, maybe he struck it rich there?!

The following censuses saw him move to Virginia City and then to Prescott where he had properties in Whiskey Row and a Stock Ranch at Point of Rocks. A three year ownership of The BirdCage in Tombstone with his Whisky dealing partner John Sroufe another notable deal!

Those mines in the title he either owned or had shared interests in.

Do you think there would be anything remaining of these mines, anyone from around this part?

Below is an old Arizona newspaper advert of a Sampling and Milling company he ran.

Name:  McCrum Mine 1893 Advert.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  88.8 KB
    Last edited by Roy_W; 01-26-2016 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Big Bug

It is kind of a pain to use at first, but the US Department of the Interior maintains a system to track historic mine claims: http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/more/land_records.html (Second option)
    Pacific Northwest Ghost Town Travel Blog: http://pnwphotoblog.com/ghost-towns/
    Ghost Town Map: http://ghosttownmap.com/

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Many thanks for that, that MineDat threw up longitude and latitude details. When put into google Maps this is what it came up with. Seems there`s still something or somebody out there!

Name:  OldMineAZ.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  103.6 KB

Yes, thanks, that shows a couple of mines on the Silver Belt/McCabe vein that my ancestor had interests in, according to the maps there's still a bit of activity there?
    Anyone know whats happening there now?

Silver Belt-McCabe vein, Galena Gulch area, McCabe, Big Bug District, Bradshaw Mts (Bradshaw Range), Yavapai Co., Arizona, USA

Name:  OldMineAZ.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  103.6 KB

Thread Information