Thread: Difference between Ghost Town vs Abandoned

Default Difference between Ghost Town vs Abandoned

I am new to the site but have been enjoying all the articles. I am a history major and part of my focus was the Civil War so will put this in historical terms. I have walked the fields and hills of Gettysburg and Tombstone, AZ. Tombstone needs to be done once but more of a tourist destination. Gettysburg is kind of the same way but not paid actors walking around etc. Across this country driving down back roads you may be lucky enough to find a structure and upon looking into it, it looks as if the people that may have lived in the home just disappearred. An old 50's car rusting out parked next to a house that I might be able to push over. While I enjoy the Historical Mining town sometimes the home is a snapshot of a not to distant past. What makes something a ghost town and something else an abandoned property? I have been trying to research and really explore some more of the snapshot places as to me they help me understand society and life at the time.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by PSUBob View Post
    I am new to the site but have been enjoying all the articles. I am a history major and part of my focus was the Civil War so will put this in historical terms. I have walked the fields and hills of Gettysburg and Tombstone, AZ. Tombstone needs to be done once but more of a tourist destination. Gettysburg is kind of the same way but not paid actors walking around etc. Across this country driving down back roads you may be lucky enough to find a structure and upon looking into it, it looks as if the people that may have lived in the home just disappearred. An old 50's car rusting out parked next to a house that I might be able to push over. While I enjoy the Historical Mining town sometimes the home is a snapshot of a not to distant past. What makes something a ghost town and something else an abandoned property? I have been trying to research and really explore some more of the snapshot places as to me they help me understand society and life at the time.
    Wow! I've been trolling in here since 1998, & I've never seen this question come up. Did you mean abandoned village?
    If so, ghost towns are more well known as such in the western half of the US. Some time ago back east, many were called abandoned villages, though that pattern seems to be changing with each passing year, with more of them in the east also being referred to as ghost towns.

Abandoned property to me, denotes a place owned (or once owned) by someone who may have died, or just ran out of funds to maintain.

Default Difference between Ghost Town vs Abandoned

An abandoned place is a destination or town where there are no people around and no inhabitants in there which is more likely like a Ghost town but the latter for me is a place with a curse that's why ghosts are believe to be existing there.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsearcher View Post
    An abandoned place is a destination or town where there are no people around and no inhabitants in there which is more likely like a Ghost town but the latter for me is a place with a curse that's why ghosts are believe to be existing there.
    The name "ghost town" has nothing to do with so-called ghosts "existing" there. It simply means a town that has died off, leaving behind uninhabited buildings and/or ruins.

Technically an abandoned place must have once been a town in order to be considered a "ghost town". An abandoned farm, or house, or even a mine is not really a ghost town because it was never a town. However, all such places are often lumped together under the same heading as ghost towns, just as a matter of vernacular convenience.

Of course, some mining camps were practically towns, and many towns grew out of mining camps.

Thread Information