Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Detectors

Default Metal Detectors

Are there any metal detector people on here that look for nuggets?
    Thanks Bunk

Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Yep,
    I use a Garret Scorpion Gold Stinger detector. I have found some nice gold here in New Mexico and AZ.

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

We're just learning to use our metal detector and finding we must be technologically challenged and not getting the hang of it. We've tried metal detecting at an old gold mine site but everywhere we tried it, the detector was telling us there was something. Our digging turned up nothing. There must have been a lot of iron ore or other metals in the soil and surrounding rocks...but alas, no gold.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    We're just learning to use our metal detector and finding we must be technologically challenged and not getting the hang of it. We've tried metal detecting at an old gold mine site but everywhere we tried it, the detector was telling us there was something. Our digging turned up nothing. There must have been a lot of iron ore or other metals in the soil and surrounding rocks...but alas, no gold.

Try building a test bed. Pretty simple. Get some small jewlery baggies, insert different coins, rings, gold etc. Go out in the yard and bury them about 3 to 5 inches in the ground. Do it in a straight line so you can find the stuff and space them evenly. Then go out and listen to your detector as you scan over them. Oh - make sure you have dug up all the junk BEFORE you bury the stuff.

PS you can usually ground balance your machine to adjust for the minerals in the ground. Matter of fact that is one of the first things you should do at any sight.
    Last edited by Mikejts; 10-25-2006 at 06:14 PM.

Rocky

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Thanks Rocky. We haven't tried the test bed but that sounds like a good idea. That way maybe we can learn to differentiate between the junk and the good stuff. We do ground balance the machine at each site we go to, the book that came with the detector recommends that too.
    Although we've had this machine for a couple of years now,(it's a White DFX, Spectrum E-series) we're finding it difficult to master the art of using it properly. The screen on it shows the depth of the find and tells us if it's a ring, coin or a poptop but that doesn't seem to be accurate so we must be doing something wrong. The depth is usually exactly what the machine is telling us, our problem is trying to figure out if it's junk or something worth digging for. Maybe it's true, "old dogs CAN'T learn new tricks."

Laura. Here is a little info on your detector. and a link that I put on my other forum about detecting on forest land.

http://www.nuggetdigger.com/viewtopic.php?t=747

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/dete...whitesdfx.html

Kelly
    Socorro N.M.

Thanks for the links Kelly, that's a neat forum, I've registered, so maybe I can pick up some helpful hints.
    The National Forest info is good, it's pretty much the same thing our local rangers tell us, although, I do believe they tend to look the other way when minor infractions are done by locals rather than people coming to the area just to visit.
    The other link is a good one too, sounds like we made a good choice buying the DFX, others seem to like it as well.

Bbbbbuuummmppppyyyyy road!

Laura, Keep practicing. The visual indicators can be misleading unless you adjust a couple things.
    • Always move around the target by 90 degrees and then swing over the target and see if it reads the same.
    • Also make sure when it says "ring" or coin or what ever - it also gives you a high probability reading.
    I had a real hard time switching from my mine lab (no visual, all sound) to a machine with a visual dispaly. I found myself relying to much on the visual. I finally covered up the visual and used it on my test bed.

Rocky

Thread Information