Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grisdale and Lester, Washington

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Grisdale and Lester, Washington

Originally posted by Tom

: I was looking at a highway map of Washington and noticed two locations which are indicated as being ghost towns; Grisdale and Lester, Washington. There are no entries for either of these in the Washington section of this site. Does anyone have info on either or both of these locations?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Grisdale and Lester, Washington

Originally posted by Jordan

: I am not sure if you want them or not, but I have some online topographic maps for you of these locations. If you want them just post back and tell me so.

: Jordan

Originally posted by Tom

: : I am not sure if you want them or not, but I have some online topographic maps for you of these locations. If you want them just post back and tell me so.

: : Jordan

: Jordan, Are these from the http://www.topozone.com/ site?

: What I really need though is info on these towns such as remains, history ect., but thanks.

Originally posted by Darin

: Grisdale is a logging camp that closed in 1986. It was quite developed at the time, but is now mostly just foundations. I would not call it a ghost town.

Originally posted by Kathleen A. Hunt

: Lester was forced out of existance by the City of Tacoma because it is located in Tacoma's watershed. The last legal resident was Gert Murphy who still retained the 100 year lease on her house and lived there during the summer. I suspect she has finally passed on. My mother lived in Lester during the early 1940's and my grandfather worked for both the forest service and the railroad from Lester.

Originally posted by Mark

: : I was looking at a highway map of Washington and noticed two locations which are indicated as being ghost towns; Grisdale and Lester, Washington. There are no entries for either of these in the Washington section of this site. Does anyone have info on either or both of these locations?

: Lester was a old railroad town that went back many years. It had a school, library, train depot, houses, etc. It is deep in the cascades and is really scenic. That land is so nice there. My dad's friend's dad found out about it in the 1950's and they started going up there alot to hunt and camp. We still go up to camp to this day and we really love it!

Originally posted by Shawn

: : : I was looking at a highway map of Washington and noticed two locations which are indicated as being ghost towns; Grisdale and Lester, Washington. There are no entries for either of these in the Washington section of this site. Does anyone have info on either or both of these locations?

: : Lester was a old railroad town that went back many years. It had a school, library, train depot, houses, etc. It is deep in the cascades and is really scenic. That land is so nice there. My dad's friend's dad found out about it in the 1950's and they started going up there alot to hunt and camp. We still go up to camp to this day and we really love it!

: Scott paper also had a building there. You can still see the air strip although it is pretty overgrown. There was a tavern, and a ranger station too. The last of the town was torn down in the seventies although there are still some remaining buildings,(ranger station, rangers home and equipment barn). An elderly woman refused to sell to the watershed and has remained up there all of these years, her home still stands as well. The watershed staff have taken over the other remaining home. One fellow there would actually paint the word "COW" on the side of his cows because he had lost a couple to hunters mistaking them for elk. My father in laws' uncle logged up there. He lived up there himself as a boy and is very familiar with the land. We go up there often. If you do go up there and you really should, be sure to take everything you take up there with you when you leave. I don't know if the elderly woman is still alive or not but they did a story on her a year ago or so. Hope this helps you.

Originally posted by John Schroeder

: Gertrude Murphy, 1903-2002, passed away today. She was the last living resident of Lester, Washington. The Seattle Times has a very nice story about her in the paper today.

Originally posted by Shirl

: There was a story in the Tacoma News Tribune also. She was 99 years old. Says she moved there in 1929 when the town had about 1,000 residents.

Originally posted by Susan

: Do you know exactly where Lester is/was? I have been up there and followed Hwy. 54 over Stampede Pass to the end where the road is blocked. Is this where it was, or somewhere else nearby?

Thread Information