Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something ain’t right in Goldfield, NV

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Something ain’t right in Goldfield, NV

Originally posted by Greg, Michele and Greta (age 9)

:
    : I am a military warrant officer who seen many scary places, abroad and in the united states, and been in many frightening situations. Goldfield Nevada is the scariest feeling I I have ever had, hands down. Why? Because I couldn’t control the feeling of sadness and fear I had around that Hotel, at night….it just overwhelmed me.
    : While in college, I worked as the night clerk in the renowned Mansion Hotel in San Francisco, California. It is purported to be ‘haunted’, but the owner hyped it up and had a ‘magic show’ and cheesy séance for the guests that was the subject of much joking. Yes, I had a weird feeling at night, alone just due to the solitude and quiet sereneness of the place, but never saw anything or had anything happen to me that I felt out of the ordinary. I would succumb to sleep before fear, and was eventually fired for falling asleep on the job!
    : I have always been skeptical of the reality of ghosts and haunted places...thought it was all hype and malarkey propagated by the media marketers and Fox TV. This changed when my family and I went through Goldfield after Easter Sunday on our way home from Las Vegas to central California and talked to the people (not about ghosts or the hotel, but about the decay of the town and purchasing old property perhaps as a 'labor of love' restoration project...the old schoolhouse recently sold for $8000.00...this place is enormous!). We stayed in nearby Tonapah and drove back by the place at night.(my daughter wanted to see it). As I pulled along side the southwest of the Hotel, I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness and uneasiness overwhelm me. All of us felt this, and we would not get out of the truck at night and walk around it..just too **** scary. The town’s people seemed a little distant and sad. Perhaps the place and people are depressed due to its severely sagging economy and geographic remoteness. Nothing was open for business, on a weekday, at 3:00 O'clock in the afternoon(!), save for the Chamber of Commerce. There were trinket shops on the west side of the hotel, with railroad spikes and hubcaps laying out front, signs reading “price reduced”…yet no one around to sell them…I could have just picked them up and walked away. Every shop in town was closed! The townspeople seemed a little hesitant in dealing with us at first. Maybe (and we are nice, friendly, respectful folks) because they have had just too many people (Californians!) milling around their beloved town after the airing of the television show, and it has become a nuisance to them, with people showing up, talking about how wonderful it is, then leaving and never adding to a place that is sadly crumbling into the history books with no one to save it (Shame on you Nevada government!). I don’t know what it was, or how to explain it, but it was eerie and disconcerting. If they were upset at the crowds, it would be hard to see how, since most vehicles just drove on through the place, never taking a second look on their way to somewhere else. We certainly didn't see a mob of people, and the hotel even had 'Haunted Halloween Ghost Party call xxx xx xxxx, written on the front lobby windows. It was like this town has fallen under the influence of this depressed feeling that emanates from the Hotel...I am enamored with this place but frightened of it. I love it, but loathe it. I want to stay away, but again return to it.. And I will
    : I am no expert, but there is one thing I can be certain of, and that is that I can attest to the fact that the Fox show was not in error, and there is something, in a very unearthly way, seriously awry and amiss about Goldfield, and it all centers around that behemoth of a Hotel that can be seen from the North, ominously looming at you from 10 miles out Highway 95. Hardened skeptics like myself would be hard pressed to not be forced to alter their perceptions, after spending 10 minutes in that town. There was a lady living in a little home annexed to the hotel on the southwest side. That is one gutsy woman!
    : If anyone wants to see a truly haunted place, you simply have to go to Goldfield, NV

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Something ain’t right in Goldfield, NV

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: It sure is a bummer. Of all the ghosttowns I've been to, Goldfield is the most ghostly. Ghostly in a sense of abandonment. Which is odd, because it still is a living town.
    : : I am a military warrant officer who seen many scary places, abroad and in the united states, and been in many frightening situations. Goldfield Nevada is the scariest feeling I I have ever had, hands down. Why? Because I couldn’t control the feeling of sadness and fear I had around that Hotel, at night….it just overwhelmed me.
    : : While in college, I worked as the night clerk in the renowned Mansion Hotel in San Francisco, California. It is purported to be ‘haunted’, but the owner hyped it up and had a ‘magic show’ and cheesy séance for the guests that was the subject of much joking. Yes, I had a weird feeling at night, alone just due to the solitude and quiet sereneness of the place, but never saw anything or had anything happen to me that I felt out of the ordinary. I would succumb to sleep before fear, and was eventually fired for falling asleep on the job!
    : : I have always been skeptical of the reality of ghosts and haunted places...thought it was all hype and malarkey propagated by the media marketers and Fox TV. This changed when my family and I went through Goldfield after Easter Sunday on our way home from Las Vegas to central California and talked to the people (not about ghosts or the hotel, but about the decay of the town and purchasing old property perhaps as a 'labor of love' restoration project...the old schoolhouse recently sold for $8000.00...this place is enormous!). We stayed in nearby Tonapah and drove back by the place at night.(my daughter wanted to see it). As I pulled along side the southwest of the Hotel, I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness and uneasiness overwhelm me. All of us felt this, and we would not get out of the truck at night and walk around it..just too **** scary. The town’s people seemed a little distant and sad. Perhaps the place and people are depressed due to its severely sagging economy and geographic remoteness. Nothing was open for business, on a weekday, at 3:00 O'clock in the afternoon(!), save for the Chamber of Commerce. There were trinket shops on the west side of the hotel, with railroad spikes and hubcaps laying out front, signs reading “price reduced”…yet no one around to sell them…I could have just picked them up and walked away. Every shop in town was closed! The townspeople seemed a little hesitant in dealing with us at first. Maybe (and we are nice, friendly, respectful folks) because they have had just too many people (Californians!) milling around their beloved town after the airing of the television show, and it has become a nuisance to them, with people showing up, talking about how wonderful it is, then leaving and never adding to a place that is sadly crumbling into the history books with no one to save it (Shame on you Nevada government!). I don’t know what it was, or how to explain it, but it was eerie and disconcerting. If they were upset at the crowds, it would be hard to see how, since most vehicles just drove on through the place, never taking a second look on their way to somewhere else. We certainly didn't see a mob of people, and the hotel even had 'Haunted Halloween Ghost Party call xxx xx xxxx, written on the front lobby windows. It was like this town has fallen under the influence of this depressed feeling that emanates from the Hotel...I am enamored with this place but frightened of it. I love it, but loathe it. I want to stay away, but again return to it.. And I will
    : : I am no expert, but there is one thing I can be certain of, and that is that I can attest to the fact that the Fox show was not in error, and there is something, in a very unearthly way, seriously awry and amiss about Goldfield, and it all centers around that behemoth of a Hotel that can be seen from the North, ominously looming at you from 10 miles out Highway 95. Hardened skeptics like myself would be hard pressed to not be forced to alter their perceptions, after spending 10 minutes in that town. There was a lady living in a little home annexed to the hotel on the southwest side. That is one gutsy woman!
    : : If anyone wants to see a truly haunted place, you simply have to go to Goldfield, NV

Originally posted by Cindy

: Goldfield is not in the least bit scary. I live in Las Vegas but visit friends in Goldfield several times a month. It is truly a beautiful place to hike around.

: You must visit the Columbia Tavern on the east side of the highway (the same street as the Goldfield Hotel). You will be able to talk to the locals and get a better feel for the town.

Originally posted by marlon coffman

: i agree with you i use to travelthrew there a few timws per. month back in 89-91.i always had that same feeling there.: It sure is a bummer. Of all the ghosttowns I've been to, Goldfield is the most ghostly. Ghostly in a sense of abandonment. Which is odd, because it still is a living town.
    : : : I am a military warrant officer who seen many scary places, abroad and in the united states, and been in many frightening situations. Goldfield Nevada is the scariest feeling I I have ever had, hands down. Why? Because I couldn’t control the feeling of sadness and fear I had around that Hotel, at night….it just overwhelmed me.
    : : : While in college, I worked as the night clerk in the renowned Mansion Hotel in San Francisco, California. It is purported to be ‘haunted’, but the owner hyped it up and had a ‘magic show’ and cheesy séance for the guests that was the subject of much joking. Yes, I had a weird feeling at night, alone just due to the solitude and quiet sereneness of the place, but never saw anything or had anything happen to me that I felt out of the ordinary. I would succumb to sleep before fear, and was eventually fired for falling asleep on the job!
    : : : I have always been skeptical of the reality of ghosts and haunted places...thought it was all hype and malarkey propagated by the media marketers and Fox TV. This changed when my family and I went through Goldfield after Easter Sunday on our way home from Las Vegas to central California and talked to the people (not about ghosts or the hotel, but about the decay of the town and purchasing old property perhaps as a 'labor of love' restoration project...the old schoolhouse recently sold for $8000.00...this place is enormous!). We stayed in nearby Tonapah and drove back by the place at night.(my daughter wanted to see it). As I pulled along side the southwest of the Hotel, I had an overwhelming feeling of sadness and uneasiness overwhelm me. All of us felt this, and we would not get out of the truck at night and walk around it..just too **** scary. The town’s people seemed a little distant and sad. Perhaps the place and people are depressed due to its severely sagging economy and geographic remoteness. Nothing was open for business, on a weekday, at 3:00 O'clock in the afternoon(!), save for the Chamber of Commerce. There were trinket shops on the west side of the hotel, with railroad spikes and hubcaps laying out front, signs reading “price reduced”…yet no one around to sell them…I could have just picked them up and walked away. Every shop in town was closed! The townspeople seemed a little hesitant in dealing with us at first. Maybe (and we are nice, friendly, respectful folks) because they have had just too many people (Californians!) milling around their beloved town after the airing of the television show, and it has become a nuisance to them, with people showing up, talking about how wonderful it is, then leaving and never adding to a place that is sadly crumbling into the history books with no one to save it (Shame on you Nevada government!). I don’t know what it was, or how to explain it, but it was eerie and disconcerting. If they were upset at the crowds, it would be hard to see how, since most vehicles just drove on through the place, never taking a second look on their way to somewhere else. We certainly didn't see a mob of people, and the hotel even had 'Haunted Halloween Ghost Party call xxx xx xxxx, written on the front lobby windows. It was like this town has fallen under the influence of this depressed feeling that emanates from the Hotel...I am enamored with this place but frightened of it. I love it, but loathe it. I want to stay away, but again return to it.. And I will
    : : : I am no expert, but there is one thing I can be certain of, and that is that I can attest to the fact that the Fox show was not in error, and there is something, in a very unearthly way, seriously awry and amiss about Goldfield, and it all centers around that behemoth of a Hotel that can be seen from the North, ominously looming at you from 10 miles out Highway 95. Hardened skeptics like myself would be hard pressed to not be forced to alter their perceptions, after spending 10 minutes in that town. There was a lady living in a little home annexed to the hotel on the southwest side. That is one gutsy woman!
    : : : If anyone wants to see a truly haunted place, you simply have to go to Goldfield, NV

Default Something ain't right in Goldfield,NV.

I read the postings about Goldfield, I must say that I did not feel that folks are not friendly in the town. My dad, who lived there for a number of years(he died in 2003 and was buired in the local graveyard in june 2004.) was one of the better known people there. I made two trips there in the late 1990's to visit and found folk to be very nice. Ofcourse, most of these folk are retired and keep to them selfs. But on my last visit in june 2004 to bury dad(my first burial service as a universal life minister) the people were as friendly as could be. The owner of the Columbia bar was a friend of my dad, who helped build the bar and has a memorial there. I feel more at home there than I do in Alameda, Ca. where I live. As to ghosts, Yes there are spirits there, Spirits are what remains of a person dies. A ghost is like a recording left on the buildings and the land. The history of Goldfield is rich and has gone thru more rough times than many towns, They survived fires & floods then the mines closed up. The hotel is haunted and if one is able to pick up on the vibes, they can feel the sadness and the joy there. If you have a chance, stop when you are in the area, the folk at the Columbia are happy to see folks also at the Mozart club(when it's open) Tell them "Lightfoot's son sent you" That's the name dad was best known. As a postscript, My dad was one of the people who were involved in fixing up the Mitzpa hotel in Tonaph in the mid to late 1980's.

Default Goldfield, something ain't right

There may be stories spread about the hotel and there is plenty of history about town but if you talked to residents of Esmeralda County you find out that most figure the thing that wasn't right was they had to raise property taxes to pay for a silly Grand Jury that got called There less than 1,000 residents in the entire county but there is little joy in Esmeralda . I won't go into the details as there are two sides but there is more than a hint of unhappiness and disgust going on among the locals.
    Yet Another Bob

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I know Goldfield is a very well known speed trap and home to (or was) a very nit picky NHP officer.

Smile Proud Goldfield, Nv Resident

This is in response to a couple posts on this thread.

First and foremost, Goldfield is a very friendly town! Nowhere else will you find a more caring and compassionate community that rallys together to come to the aid of their neighbor! We don't all necessarily agree on every issue, but we certainly can put those issues aside to help one another!

BOB:
    In regards to the "Silly Grand Jury", everyone has a constitutional right to call a grand jury. When a grand jury is wanted by a private citizen they must circulate a petition to the voters and get "X" number of signatures in order for the grand jury to be called. This was done by the citizen; therefore, obviously there are residents that supported this person. Furthermore, the Esmeralda County Commissioners did not raise taxes. There was also the rumor the grand jury cost the county $86,000.00 and that is just not true! It was more like $8,000.00 and if the county would have to raise taxes to recover the cost of a mere $8,000.00 then we are a county quickly sinking into the poor house. Our current ending fund balance is in excess of $5.6 million.

I am not just speaking from rumors--I was employed in the Esmeralda County Clerk-Treasurer's office for 12 years, 5 of which I served as the clerk-treasurer. I had to retire in September 2002 due to shattering my spine. When I became clerk-treasurer we had an ending fund balance of $1.4 million. When I retired we had an ending fund balance of $4.8 million, which was, in part, because of my investment knowledge.

GARY B:
    I'm not sure which NHP trooper you are speaking about, and definitely agree there are some rookies out there who are quite eager to follow the book to the "T". But, to be quite honest, in order for Goldfield to be a speed trap the Sheriff's deputies would have to get off their rear ends and do something--now that is something you will never see in Goldfield--the Sheriff's office doing their job! I must admit we have about 2 deputies that try to do a good job, but often get shot down by the head honcho!

THE MAN IN BLACK:
    I personally knew your Dad and just adored him! He was quite the character and I enjoyed talking with him. He always had a story to tell! I was very sorry to hear of his passing, but knowing that he is at home with our Heavenly Father put my heart at ease! I can see it now...everyone is gathered around your Dad and listening to his stories as only he could tell. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

GREG, MICHELE & GRETA:
    Yes, the hotel is haunted. In 2000, I started the Goldfield Land Rush and during the 3 day festival we gave tours of the hotel and many people walked away with some sort of unexplainable experience, including myself. Please feel free to email me if you would like to hear about my experience and an experience a friend of my had.

In closing, Goldfield is really a great place! My hubby and I have raised our 2 beautiful children here and our daughter is raising our grand daughter here. When living in Goldfield it is not about quantity, it is all about the quality of life!

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnn S
    This is in response to a couple posts on this thread.

First and foremost, Goldfield is a very friendly town! Nowhere else will you find a more caring and compassionate community that rallys together to come to the aid of their neighbor! We don't all necessarily agree on every issue, but we certainly can put those issues aside to help one another!

BOB:
    In regards to the "Silly Grand Jury", everyone has a constitutional right to call a grand jury. When a grand jury is wanted by a private citizen they must circulate a petition to the voters and get "X" number of signatures in order for the grand jury to be called. This was done by the citizen; therefore, obviously there are residents that supported this person. Furthermore, the Esmeralda County Commissioners did not raise taxes. There was also the rumor the grand jury cost the county $86,000.00 and that is just not true! It was more like $8,000.00 and if the county would have to raise taxes to recover the cost of a mere $8,000.00 then we are a county quickly sinking into the poor house. Our current ending fund balance is in excess of $5.6 million.

I am not just speaking from rumors--I was employed in the Esmeralda County Clerk-Treasurer's office for 12 years, 5 of which I served as the clerk-treasurer. I had to retire in September 2002 due to shattering my spine. When I became clerk-treasurer we had an ending fund balance of $1.4 million. When I retired we had an ending fund balance of $4.8 million, which was, in part, because of my investment knowledge.

GARY B:
    I'm not sure which NHP trooper you are speaking about, and definitely agree there are some rookies out there who are quite eager to follow the book to the "T". But, to be quite honest, in order for Goldfield to be a speed trap the Sheriff's deputies would have to get off their rear ends and do something--now that is something you will never see in Goldfield--the Sheriff's office doing their job! I must admit we have about 2 deputies that try to do a good job, but often get shot down by the head honcho!

THE MAN IN BLACK:
    I personally knew your Dad and just adored him! He was quite the character and I enjoyed talking with him. He always had a story to tell! I was very sorry to hear of his passing, but knowing that he is at home with our Heavenly Father put my heart at ease! I can see it now...everyone is gathered around your Dad and listening to his stories as only he could tell. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

GREG, MICHELE & GRETA:
    Yes, the hotel is haunted. In 2000, I started the Goldfield Land Rush and during the 3 day festival we gave tours of the hotel and many people walked away with some sort of unexplainable experience, including myself. Please feel free to email me if you would like to hear about my experience and an experience a friend of my had.

In closing, Goldfield is really a great place! My hubby and I have raised our 2 beautiful children here and our daughter is raising our grand daughter here. When living in Goldfield it is not about quantity, it is all about the quality of life!
    Is a large mining co planning on open pitting Goldfield?

NME

Default Goldfield

DeAnn S, please don't take umbarge. I'm simply stating what I was told. It was told to me by couple residents that claimed their taxes had gone up way up and they attributed it to the "Silly Grand Jury", I will note that much of the scorn came ith this discussion wasfrom people just to the east (I know if they didn't wiggle the line much of their county seat would be in your county).

If I could earn a living in Esmeralda County, I'd live in Esmeralda Country and I'm pleased to hear that the costs of the "exercise in Constitutional right" wasn't as serious as it it was relayed to me but I swear, you have fellow residents who hold that opinion. I always eager to hear both sides of the story.
    Yet Another Bob

Thread Information