Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Something ainít right in Goldfield, NV

when is a good time of year to visit goldfield???

Wow, something ain't right in this thread! Maybe we oughtta just drop it. Just a suggestion.

Rachel in Utah ghost_town_huntress@yahoo.com

I find anytime of the year a great time to visit Goldfield. I love summer during thunderstorms, when immense cumulonimbus clouds enhance photographing the old buildings. Winter time when there's snow on the ground also makes for superb photos.
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

I am truly sorry if I came across as angry, because I wasn't. When you live in Goldfield and continue to hear the rumors it really gets old. I know it is no fault of any of you--you are just posting what you have heard. Again, I apologize for the sound of my post.

NME:
    There has been a long standing rumor that a mining company (I'm sorry I cannot remember their name) has found a large vein. This vein supposedly runs north of Goldfield, but within the town limits, underneath US95. Rumor has it that they have applied to NDOT to move the highway to run west of Goldfield along the botton of the Malapai's. This would have to be a huge vein worth billions in order for them to pay to move the highway. I don't think this will ever happen.

BOB:
    Again, I am truly sorry! No offense taken.

aZhe & DAVID A. WRIGHT:
    David, you are so right! Any time of the year is a great time to visit Goldfield. The last weekend of August we have Goldfield Days (I started this festival in 2000 with the land rush). The first year we had Goldfield Days there were over 2,000 people here. I had approximately 180 parcels county owned parcels up for sale and sold all but 8. There are a lot of vendors in town, street dances, parade, competitions, etc. You will have a blast!

Right this very minute the wind is blowing, which it does most of the time here, and it is very cold and trying to snow. I must admit, the only thing I do not like about Goldfield is the wind. It pretty much is windy all the time. Sometimes just a nice breeze, other times you need to hang on to your hat--or skirt as it was in my case.

If you are ever in Goldfield look me up. I would love to give you a tour of the courthouse and old fire house, and buy you lunch at the Mozart.

Your Goldfield friend,

De Ann

I was at the 2003 Goldfield Days. I co-authored a book with author/publisher Alan Patera and he and I, along with Stan Paher and Shawn Hall, had a couple of tables set up with our publications on one of the side streets by one of the former banks.
    David A. Wright

I do not remember much of the 2003 Goldfield Days. I announced my retirement in September 2002 to be effective January 2003. In March 2003 I had major spinal reconstructive surgery and was in an electric wheelchair during the 2003 Goldfield Days. Unfortunately, due to the massive doses of morphine and other pain narcotics I was on, I just do not know much about the weekend. I helped out at the Goldfield Volunteer Fire Departments beer garden and Bahama Mama BBQ. I was quite large at the time due to gaining 150 pounds because I was bedridden for a long time after my surgeries. I am proud to announce I have lost 160 over this past year! AND I am out of my electric wheelchair and go potty like a big girl! I occassionaly still have to use my manual wheelchair, but that is only when I start getting tired.

David, have you been to any other Goldfield Days?

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnn S
    No, that was the only one.
    David A. Wright

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnn S
    I do not remember much of the 2003 Goldfield Days. I announced my retirement in September 2002 to be effective January 2003. In March 2003 I had major spinal reconstructive surgery and was in an electric wheelchair during the 2003 Goldfield Days. Unfortunately, due to the massive doses of morphine and other pain narcotics I was on, I just do not know much about the weekend. I helped out at the Goldfield Volunteer Fire Departments beer garden and Bahama Mama BBQ. I was quite large at the time due to gaining 150 pounds because I was bedridden for a long time after my surgeries. I am proud to announce I have lost 160 over this past year! AND I am out of my electric wheelchair and go potty like a big girl! I occassionaly still have to use my manual wheelchair, but that is only when I start getting tired.

WOW good for you - you lost almost as much as I weigh! Way to go! I hope your spine surgery was successful....what a terrible experience for you to have gone through. I am recovering from a spine condition myself and had put on weight too, but nothing like you went through. But I don't think I'll be complaining about my weight anymore after reading of your experience. I hope you continue to feel better, etc.

I was in Goldfield during 2003, but not for Goldfield Days. I really wanted to go and was tempted to fly back out for that week!

As far as spending time in Goldfield - my son and I hung out there a little here and there. The one day we spent more time in town was 'interesting'. I tell my son a lot of 'talltales' and I get a little carried away with these at times. Ok - most of the time I do hehe. I may like to think it's for his benefit, just to entertain him, but I get just as much fun out of it too. I've been known to go all out and can be quite overdramatic! He really falls for this and then -I'll tell him at a later time that I was just pulling his leg.

I can't get into all the details - but this one 'tale' I was harping for 'weeks' came true in Goldfield of all places! It's more or less one of those, 'you had to be there' type things but I ended up getting snagged at one of my own tales. My son got such a kick out of this and we both knew it would be something to remember and laugh at for years to come. But it was something quite ironic and somewhat freaky!

And then after all the excitement, we went to have lunch at the Mozart Club. This was kewl because I have been to the Chopin Inn (MA) and the Bach Door Cafe (CT). Someday I hope I'll come across a drinking hole that's named after Rachmaninoff..and then I can truly say that I have lived. (until then you can find me at the 'Aging Still').

Unfortunately my son threw out his back pretty bad early into our lunch there. He was only slightly leaning over the salad bar and that was enough to throw him into pain. He managed to get through lunch and we needed to get back to the motel for some Alleve and an icepack.

So we didn't get to do 'much' in Goldfield but it was a memorable experience -more than enough. But with him in pain off and on from his back -I had to keep up the effort and did all I could to try to keep him laughing to keep his mind off the pain. So we kept recalling our pre-lunch adventure and we have since referred to that as the 'Goldfield Man' episode (a direct descendant of 'Kennewick Man').

Ok so we're a little eccentric. And before long that wore off and it wouldn't take me long to come up with something new. But my son's 18 now and this only really works with kids when there too old to believe in Santa, and b4 they start college. I can't compete with dorm room antics!

Smile Something's wrong in Goldfield, Nv.?

DeAnn S, Thanks for the kind words about my dad. Goldfield is a poorer place since his passing. I met people that knew dad while we were shopping in Tonapah. He was a friend to a lot of people. Just ask the owner of the Columbia bar. If you want to talk off site, My Email is: wizardsrest@worldnet.att.net.
    The Man in Black
    Last edited by The Man In Black; 01-11-2006 at 12:31 AM. Reason: spelled a name wrong

Is Goldfield very easy to get to from Las Vegas?

I'm looking on doing a radio feature on ghost towns and need people to interview & a location for historical base. (I posted more in the history section entitled "Nevada ghost town project")

Do you suggest that Goldfield would be a good place to visit?

Thread Information