Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Something ainít right in Goldfield, NV

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Just a Hop-skip-and Jump or two up Highway 95. Easy to reach but not real close. Recommend a visit. What you think Bob? Mike

Default I agree

First hit Rhyolite, then Goldfield, and then Tonopah (Stop by Shawn's Mining Park and the Museum) and if you have time, hit Belmont. If you have a couple days, leave Belmont via Manhattan, bag Austin, then follow the Highway 50 east through Eureka, take the side trip to Hamilton and nest in Ely for the night. Catch Pioche and Caliente on your way back to Vegas. Be advised it sometime close to 100 miles between services, Lots of driving with few humans around.

Vegas to Rhyolite (hour and a half drive)
    Rhyolite to Goldfield (Another hour drive)
    Goldfield to Tonopah (Half Hourt)
    Tonopah to Belmont (Hour)
    Belmont to Manhattan (Half hour or an hour depending on your vehicle)
    Manhattan to Austin (About 2 hours)
    Austin to Eureka (Hour and a half)
    Eureka to Illipah (Turn off to Hamilton takes a bit more than an hour)
    Allow half hour in an out to Hamilton and some time to investigate the surronds.
    Illipah to Ely about 45 minutes.
    Ely to Pioche about 2 hours.
    Pioche to Caliente (About 40 minutes)
    Caliente back to Vegas (2 and half hours).
    Yet Another Bob

old judge is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Whoa. Thanks Bob. You don't think I just printed out your last post, you gotta be goofy. What a great recommendation for a tour. Just looked it over on my maps. Whoa. You're a gem. Even Flatiron must agree. Been to several of those GTs, but not in such an organized manner. Today, organized is much more important than 10 years ago. Mike and the Bride
    Last edited by old judge; 02-21-2006 at 05:50 PM.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Caliente back to Vegas (2 and half hours).
    And don't try to push this estimate much in the areas of Alamo and the Caliente Summit (AKA Oak Summit) unless you like collecting tickets from bored highway patrolmen. I once did it just under 1 hour 30 minutes and if I would have gotten caught, I'd still be making license plates at the big house in Indian Springs, NV

ghostal- what time of the year are you planning on making it here? During the spring-summer months, many of the places Bob mentioned come alive with get together's and events. IMO a 4th of July in Caliente is an experience everyone should get at least once in their life. But I'm biased

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    ghostal- what time of the year are you planning on making it here? During the spring-summer months, many of the places Bob mentioned come alive with get together's and events. IMO a 4th of July in Caliente is an experience everyone should get at least once in their life. But I'm biased
    I'm going April 4-11, so I hope t ofind some good material during that time.

Everybody's been so helpful though, I hope that everything will come together though...

Thumbs up

Wow! GaryB laid out quite an itinerary! Just like OJ, I've been to quite a few of those GT's , and think if you hit half of them, you'll have a great time. I always seem to be amazed at the experience and knowledge exhibited by so many of the regulars on this site. I hope you have a great time and leave with a bunch of memories............

I donít know much about the politics in this thread, but I love Goldfield, especially the Hotel. I moved to Las Vegas in 1985, and started taking what I called loops. These were just long drives were I would head out in one direction, then come back in another. I did not plan much, I just went to see what I would find. On one of these loops I went out to Beatty, then over to Bishop, then headed back over 6 to 95. It was about 2 Am in the morning when I went through Goldfield. I saw the hotel, in the dark, and thought I was seeing a ghost. I have been trough, too and around Goldfield dozens of times since. I love that town.
    I was thrilled when someone started working on the old Hotel, I was disappointed when the work stopped and whoever it was went under. I have always wondered what they did with the leather seats from the lobby, and hoped they are just in a nice dry dark spot on the property someplace. I laughed like crazy one night when I happened on a movie called Cherry 2000 and saw the Don leave the Hotel, drive down the road, get lifted by a crane over the old Mill foundations and into the spillway at Hoover dam. I was saddened when I saw the collapsed wall at the old school my last time through.
    As for the way this thread started, something started with the comment:
    ďĒIt sure is a bummer. Of all the ghosttowns I've been to, Goldfield is the most ghostly. Ghostly in a sense of abandonment. Which is odd, because it still is a living town.Ē

Goldfield is like most of the towns in the interior of Nevada outside of Reno and Las Vegas. The interior of Nevada has been depopulating for 80 years with boom and bust cycles of mining always coming and going. It is a brutal cycle where towns live for a generation then die. Those who remain look for other ways to stay, many often leaving after they find it impossible. Those who come, come because it is such a bargain, and become part of what is left. Often the old timers are at odds with the newcomers. The newcomers want to preserve a past, restore the old places, bring tourists and the like, the old timers hope that there is new ore discovered and that the ďcompanyĒ returns. In Nevada, either interests are really ever satisfied. Virginia City made it as a tourists spot, A few places are booming because of the high price of minerals, and most sit some were between with a little tourism and a little mining to keep them floating. They are what they are today, they will never be what they were in the past, and the people in them are there because it is the kind of place they love.
    Were easy going, we seem a-ss backwards to a lot of people, and we are were we are at because it is were we want to be and we succeeded in finding a way to be there. I see more ghosts in the old buildings filled with tourists at Knottís Berry Farm then I do in the buildings of Goldfield. Goldfield and the other towns in Nevada, are like the bushes on the desert, or a pine tree growing alone on a little bit of rock, it just amazes what is there, and not what is not. Long ago Goldfield was the most dynamic city in the state, it still remains the most amazing.

GaryB is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

The other problem is with new technology in cars, folks don't have to stop every 50 miles for gas or water, so the towns in between die. You can go from Tonopah to Vegas with no issues. From Tonopah to Hawthorne and Yerington as well. Beatty IMO is only around because of the Death Valley entrance and the residents being employed by the Test Site and Bechtel. But the small stops like Mina, Lida Junction, and Coaldale are hanging on by threads due to the fact they are not needed like back in the day.

We were doing work in Tonopah, a guy has been investing a lot of money to get the Mizpah and IIRC the Nevada hotels up and running as historical sites. Also a few mines sound as if they might be reopening in the area. Guess we'll see. Even if every little town/stop between Vegas and Reno became a tourist trap, I wouldn't fret much, because that means it still might be around 100 years from now.

Question

Kind of off/on topic, but does anyone happen to know the price of gas in Goldfield? Along with that question, any stations have card readers on the pump? I don't want to go out of my way and roll in at 1am and find I can't get gas.

Thanks,
    ~Dezdan

I'm not sure. We were getting our gas in Tonopah which does have the more modern machines. At the time, gas was about the same as Vegas, which as of yesterday was around $3.10 a gallon for regular. Beatty is about the same.

IIRC there is just one station in Golfield, and it's only got one or two pumps.

Thread Information