Thread: Cortez, NV- man, what an eery place!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Cortez, NV- man, what an eery place!

Originally posted by Bonneville Mariner

: Hah!! This message made it up! Ok, something is going on here. I have tried to post a message about Cortez, NV several times here, but my attempt has been thwarted each time! My first message a few months ago strangely never made it up. On my second try, my post wasn't even up 10 minutes before some software glitch wiped out like 3 months of posts! I have tried 4 times today, but every time as I near the end of my message, this website jumps back to the bulletin board page and I lose what I typed. I am now typing the message in Notepad and saving about every 5 words, then I'm going to paste it into the **** text space. Let's see if you can wipe me out this time! Here is what I wanted to say:

: Recently another poster, Doug, asked about certain ghost town sites being private property. Cortez, NV was one he asked about. I know that it is on private property now, but I didn't know this the night I accidently stumbled onto the townsite. We were actually looking for the ghost town called Gold Acres, when we took a wrong turn at a modern mining operation at about 2AM. We followed a small canyon road and were about to turn around at the top and come back down when we noticed that our jeep was on fire. We got out to extinguish the fire and noticed that our headlights were illuminating shadowy facades of old buildings. I immediately felt the familiar eery and sad feeling that many associate with certain ghost towns. Once we extinguished the fire we grabbed our flashlights and began exploring. There were many old buildings intact- mostly houses along very curvy roads. Now I don't believe in ghosts or hauntings, but I have to admit I had an EXTREMELY uneasy feeling walking thru this town. I felt almost as if we were being watched and that we were unwelcome there. I have been to many ghosttowns before, and I have felt this sort of feeling, but never so poingantly strong as I did in this small town. The wierdest thing was that you would look at some of these houses and it would actually seem that lights were on inside them. Tough to explain, but it was so real that when we first pulled in we could have sworn that this was a populated town. Yet when you would get up close to thw buildings it was obvious that no lights could have been on and that this town was completely abandoned.

: The eeriest thing, however, was discovering an unidentified structure near the center of the town that was definately a recent addition. It was a large oval area encircled by a large wall of piled-up stones about 20 feet tall. We climbed this wall and looked inside. The only thing there was a large plastic "X" with a stake driven into the middle of it. It almost looked like a helopad to me, but what on earth would a modern helopad be doing in the middle of this unmamed town? It was then that the eery feelings got to us and we decided we'd better get out. The next day we enquired about the town and were told by locals to keep quiet about our visit there. We did not go back. So yeah, has anybody been there at all? If so, anybody recently? I am extremely curious as to what in the history of this town could possibly make it such a scary place to visit, and I am especially curious as to the identity of the afore-described structure. Good luck posting your response though! ---The Mariner

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Cortez, NV- man, what an eery place!

Originally posted by Antioch Desert Rat

: : Hah!! This message made it up! Ok, something is going on here. I have tried to post a message about Cortez, NV several times here, but my attempt has been thwarted each time! My first message a few months ago strangely never made it up. On my second try, my post wasn't even up 10 minutes before some software glitch wiped out like 3 months of posts! I have tried 4 times today, but every time as I near the end of my message, this website jumps back to the bulletin board page and I lose what I typed. I am now typing the message in Notepad and saving about every 5 words, then I'm going to paste it into the **** text space. Let's see if you can wipe me out this time! Here is what I wanted to say:

: : Recently another poster, Doug, asked about certain ghost town sites being private property. Cortez, NV was one he asked about. I know that it is on private property now, but I didn't know this the night I accidently stumbled onto the townsite. We were actually looking for the ghost town called Gold Acres, when we took a wrong turn at a modern mining operation at about 2AM. We followed a small canyon road and were about to turn around at the top and come back down when we noticed that our jeep was on fire. We got out to extinguish the fire and noticed that our headlights were illuminating shadowy facades of old buildings. I immediately felt the familiar eery and sad feeling that many associate with certain ghost towns. Once we extinguished the fire we grabbed our flashlights and began exploring. There were many old buildings intact- mostly houses along very curvy roads. Now I don't believe in ghosts or hauntings, but I have to admit I had an EXTREMELY uneasy feeling walking thru this town. I felt almost as if we were being watched and that we were unwelcome there. I have been to many ghosttowns before, and I have felt this sort of feeling, but never so poingantly strong as I did in this small town. The wierdest thing was that you would look at some of these houses and it would actually seem that lights were on inside them. Tough to explain, but it was so real that when we first pulled in we could have sworn that this was a populated town. Yet when you would get up close to thw buildings it was obvious that no lights could have been on and that this town was completely abandoned.

: : The eeriest thing, however, was discovering an unidentified structure near the center of the town that was definately a recent addition. It was a large oval area encircled by a large wall of piled-up stones about 20 feet tall. We climbed this wall and looked inside. The only thing there was a large plastic "X" with a stake driven into the middle of it. It almost looked like a helopad to me, but what on earth would a modern helopad be doing in the middle of this unmamed town? It was then that the eery feelings got to us and we decided we'd better get out. The next day we enquired about the town and were told by locals to keep quiet about our visit there. We did not go back. So yeah, has anybody been there at all? If so, anybody recently? I am extremely curious as to what in the history of this town could possibly make it such a scary place to visit, and I am especially curious as to the identity of the afore-described structure. Good luck posting your response though! ---The Mariner
    : Hi , this is Bill I have been to the Cortez Mill Site and my friend and I thought that this is one of the best places that we have seen.
    : The new Cortez Gold Mine is where the old Gold Acres is . This is plant #2 . The first Cortez plant is down across the valley where you go up the canyou to the Old Cortez Mill Site. My friend and I went into the plant #2 office and asked about the Gold Acres, and they said that this new plant is on the old site.They also said that they do own the old mill area and they told us to go ahead and look at everything and drive around the area , just be carefull and have a good time.
    : If you want more info on other areas let me know and I will pass some on to you if I have any.

Originally posted by Antioch Desert Rat

: : Hah!! This message made it up! Ok, something is going on here. I have tried to post a message about Cortez, NV several times here, but my attempt has been thwarted each time! My first message a few months ago strangely never made it up. On my second try, my post wasn't even up 10 minutes before some software glitch wiped out like 3 months of posts! I have tried 4 times today, but every time as I near the end of my message, this website jumps back to the bulletin board page and I lose what I typed. I am now typing the message in Notepad and saving about every 5 words, then I'm going to paste it into the **** text space. Let's see if you can wipe me out this time! Here is what I wanted to say:

: : Recently another poster, Doug, asked about certain ghost town sites being private property. Cortez, NV was one he asked about. I know that it is on private property now, but I didn't know this the night I accidently stumbled onto the townsite. We were actually looking for the ghost town called Gold Acres, when we took a wrong turn at a modern mining operation at about 2AM. We followed a small canyon road and were about to turn around at the top and come back down when we noticed that our jeep was on fire. We got out to extinguish the fire and noticed that our headlights were illuminating shadowy facades of old buildings. I immediately felt the familiar eery and sad feeling that many associate with certain ghost towns. Once we extinguished the fire we grabbed our flashlights and began exploring. There were many old buildings intact- mostly houses along very curvy roads. Now I don't believe in ghosts or hauntings, but I have to admit I had an EXTREMELY uneasy feeling walking thru this town. I felt almost as if we were being watched and that we were unwelcome there. I have been to many ghosttowns before, and I have felt this sort of feeling, but never so poingantly strong as I did in this small town. The wierdest thing was that you would look at some of these houses and it would actually seem that lights were on inside them. Tough to explain, but it was so real that when we first pulled in we could have sworn that this was a populated town. Yet when you would get up close to thw buildings it was obvious that no lights could have been on and that this town was completely abandoned.

: : The eeriest thing, however, was discovering an unidentified structure near the center of the town that was definately a recent addition. It was a large oval area encircled by a large wall of piled-up stones about 20 feet tall. We climbed this wall and looked inside. The only thing there was a large plastic "X" with a stake driven into the middle of it. It almost looked like a helopad to me, but what on earth would a modern helopad be doing in the middle of this unmamed town? It was then that the eery feelings got to us and we decided we'd better get out. The next day we enquired about the town and were told by locals to keep quiet about our visit there. We did not go back. So yeah, has anybody been there at all? If so, anybody recently? I am extremely curious as to what in the history of this town could possibly make it such a scary place to visit, and I am especially curious as to the identity of the afore-described structure. Good luck posting your response though! ---The Mariner
    : Hi , this is Bill I have been to the Cortez Mill Site and my friend and I thought that this is one of the best places that we have seen.
    : The new Cortez Gold Mine is where the old Gold Acres is . This is plant #2 . The first Cortez plant is down across the valley where you go up the canyon to the Old Cortez Mill Site. My friend and I went into the plant #2 office and asked about the Gold Acres, and they said that this new plant is on the old site.They also said that they do own the old mill area and they told us to go ahead and look at everything and drive around the area , just be carefull and have a good time.
    : If you want more info on other areas let me know and I will pass some on to you if I have any.

Originally posted by Chris

: I've been to the Cortez mine quite a few times and unfortunately, it's true about Gold Acres. It was obliterated by the newer mining operation. Specifically, the mill and the shop where they work on those huge dump trucks is sitting right on top of it. I used to deliver equipment out there but haven't had a chance to hop over to the other side of crescent valley to check out the "original" Cortez. According to the info I have, it's actually a state-designated historic district and the Cortez Mining Co. is actually leasing the property rather than owning it.

Originally posted by Bonneville Mariner

: Yeah, the reason we were out there in the first place is to find Gold Acres, which we had heard was a really neat and intact ghost town. We did find some neat stuff to the north of the new mining site. LOTS of mine shafts, and a newer, yet abandoned, mining operation. Trailers were still there, including one chock full of core samples and old maps. No doors were locked and we didn't take anything, but this place was pretty abandoned.

Thread Information