Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eastern California Rally?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Eastern California Rally?

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: I think Beveridge is totally out, although there are people who want to go in if we have a ralley. A friend of mine is up at Beveridge now, he's been there many times. He says the best way is from the Saline Valley side, utilizing the road from the Snowflake Mine. That road may or not be open or passable, if not, then another 2000 feet of elevation gain is necessary from whatever point a vehicle can make it from the floor. The way from Cerro Gordo along the crest is in pretty bad shape I understand for vehicles (although it is passable to those with enough courage, patience or both), the road goes to New York Butte. My friend says that walk from NYB to Beveridge is ok on way down but very difficult to climb out from. At any rate, I think Beveridge is too time consuming nor accessible by all in the ralley party to be a worthy goal. There are many other sites to see in a 360 degree radius of Cerro Gordo (and CG itself) to keep all happy and occupied.

:
    : : David, I agree with you on Cerro Gordo being a great place to headquarter the rally. Those who want to could stay in Jody's bed and breakfast there. I also had reservations about Beveridge, due to the length of time I understand it takes to reach it. I have heard that if the hike is done in one day, you would only have approximately 1/2 hours to enjoy the place before heading back so as not to run out of daylight. I think a group of us should plan a trip to Beveridge at some other time. I think there would be plenty to see in the area, with Darwin, Lookout etc., or we could head up to the Bodie/Masonic area for the 2nd day... Rob

: : : Cat Evans and I have been in communication for Eastern California Ralley. We seem to be narrowing down to Cerro Gordo, as that place would have adaquate facilities for a group of some size, plus Jody Stewart is a very gracious and wonderful host. I've a friend who's been to Beveridge (in fact he's hiking in today), and he cautions against anyone but the strongest hikers and likely more than one day would be required, either from above the townsite or from Saline Valley. I've forwarded two e-mails to Cat from Tom regarding Beveridge. If anyone is interested in his statistics on Beveridge, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of his two mailings. Otherwise, Cerro Gordo would be central to enjoying CG, Saline Valley, Darwin, Lookout, Skidoo, Harrisburg, Emigrant Springs, Wild Rose, Gold Belt, Ubehebe, Salina City, Burgess, Ballarat, Keeler, the Carson & Colorado Railroad bed and other historic sites. -- David A. Wright, Great Basin Research

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: Sounds like we have two ghost town rallies in the making!
    : What we should do is set up an Eastern Sierra Rally AND a Death Valley Rally!
    : I wonder if people would be interested in several days to combine both Cerro Gordo and Death Valley/Pinamint City? I know I would be interested for sure!
    : Perhaps one idea: Have the regular rally at Cerro Gordo and then head into Death Valley for another day or so for those that would like to. I think that would be a great idea! From most people I have gotten negative responses to the hike up to Beveridge, so Death Valley might be a much better call!
    : But for sure FOR SURE the first day of the rally should be an will be at Cerro Gordo! Anything after that is cool and I'm all for it but Cerro Gordo is a must!
    : Email me with any other suggestions, we still have 4+ months to get this all hammered out!
    : -Cat and Ripley

:
    : :
    : : : : Cat Evans and I have been in communication for Eastern California Ralley. We seem to be narrowing down to Cerro Gordo, as that place would have adaquate facilities for a group of some size, plus Jody Stewart is a very gracious and wonderful host. I've a friend who's been to Beveridge (in fact he's hiking in today), and he cautions against anyone but the strongest hikers and likely more than one day would be required, either from above the townsite or from Saline Valley. I've forwarded two e-mails to Cat from Tom regarding Beveridge. If anyone is interested in his statistics on Beveridge, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of his two mailings. Otherwise, Cerro Gordo would be central to enjoying CG, Saline Valley, Darwin, Lookout, Skidoo, Harrisburg, Emigrant Springs, Wild Rose, Gold Belt, Ubehebe, Salina City, Burgess, Ballarat, Keeler, the Carson & Colorado Railroad bed and other historic sites. -- David A. Wright, Great Basin Research

: : : David,
    : : : Perhaps Panamint Springs would be a good place to base out of, they have camping, cabins, showers, gas, and a BAR, they are also close to Cerro and maybe a hike to Panamint City would be better, it takes about 3 hours to hike to up there, like you said, there are lots of places to explore in this area, including Lookout, Barker Ranch, Goler Canyon, and Pleasant Canyon.
    : : : Lewis

: : Lewis:

: : Panamint Springs sounds good. Cat originally e-mailed me with the idea of Cerro Gordo. I thinkeither would fill the bill, although Jody's hospitality and ghost town atmosphere at CG would add immensly to a ralley. There is also some thought to northern towns suchs as Bodie, Masonic and Aurora, although I think April is too early for the northern and higher towns.

Default Re: Todd Underwood where are you?

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: : Cat, that sounds like a great plan. If we let Jody Stewart know in advance that we are coming to Cerro Gordo, she might let us see some things that are otherwise off limits.
    : : I'm game for hiking to Beveridge, but from what I understand it is an all day hike that requires strict planning. You only have about 1/2 hour to explore the camp before having to turn back so that you do not run out of daylight on the return hike.
    : : Rob

:
    : REPLY: Rob, I've already contacted Jody and she is all for giving us the grand tour! She's a REALLY awesome lady and she'll be a GREAT host and tour guide!
    : -Cat and Rip

:
    : : : ROB,
    : : : WE'RE DOING IT! Todd has agreed to help us organize an Eastern Sierra Ghost Town Rally! Please email me and lets get talking and figure out what we should do!
    : : : I'm leaning towards Cerro Gordo the 1st day and then all the adventuresome folks can join in for a hike up to Beveridge Ghost Camp the next day! What do you think?
    : : : Let me know!
    : : : -Cat and Ripley

: : : : Todd, please scroll down to and read the subject "Eastern California Rally", if you haven't allready.
    : : : : Quite a few of us are hoping you would be interested in organizing an Eastern California rally sometime next spring.

Originally posted by Dawn Dickerson

: I saw several of you were planning a rally in
    : Spring. I also saw that you were planning on going to Lookout. Have you been there before?
    : I have and should require assistance on location just e-mail me.
    :
    : I also saw you were looking at the salt tram area on the back side of Cerro Gordo, there are some natural hot springs there where you can camp and have a little get together in the warmer months.
    : : Sounds like we have two ghost town rallies in the making!
    : : What we should do is set up an Eastern Sierra Rally AND a Death Valley Rally!
    : : I wonder if people would be interested in several days to combine both Cerro Gordo and Death Valley/Pinamint City? I know I would be interested for sure!
    : : Perhaps one idea: Have the regular rally at Cerro Gordo and then head into Death Valley for another day or so for those that would like to. I think that would be a great idea! From most people I have gotten negative responses to the hike up to Beveridge, so Death Valley might be a much better call!
    : : But for sure FOR SURE the first day of the rally should be an will be at Cerro Gordo! Anything after that is cool and I'm all for it but Cerro Gordo is a must!
    : : Email me with any other suggestions, we still have 4+ months to get this all hammered out!
    : : -Cat and Ripley

: : :
    : : : : : Cat Evans and I have been in communication for Eastern California Ralley. We seem to be narrowing down to Cerro Gordo, as that place would have adaquate facilities for a group of some size, plus Jody Stewart is a very gracious and wonderful host. I've a friend who's been to Beveridge (in fact he's hiking in today), and he cautions against anyone but the strongest hikers and likely more than one day would be required, either from above the townsite or from Saline Valley. I've forwarded two e-mails to Cat from Tom regarding Beveridge. If anyone is interested in his statistics on Beveridge, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of his two mailings. Otherwise, Cerro Gordo would be central to enjoying CG, Saline Valley, Darwin, Lookout, Skidoo, Harrisburg, Emigrant Springs, Wild Rose, Gold Belt, Ubehebe, Salina City, Burgess, Ballarat, Keeler, the Carson & Colorado Railroad bed and other historic sites. -- David A. Wright, Great Basin Research

: : : : David,
    : : : : Perhaps Panamint Springs would be a good place to base out of, they have camping, cabins, showers, gas, and a BAR, they are also close to Cerro and maybe a hike to Panamint City would be better, it takes about 3 hours to hike to up there, like you said, there are lots of places to explore in this area, including Lookout, Barker Ranch, Goler Canyon, and Pleasant Canyon.
    : : : : Lewis

: : : Lewis:

: : : Panamint Springs sounds good. Cat originally e-mailed me with the idea of Cerro Gordo. I thinkeither would fill the bill, although Jody's hospitality and ghost town atmosphere at CG would add immensly to a ralley. There is also some thought to northern towns suchs as Bodie, Masonic and Aurora, although I think April is too early for the northern and higher towns.

Originally posted by Dawn Dickerson

: I saw several of you were planning a rally in
    : Spring. I also saw that you were planning on going to Lookout. Have you been there before?
    : I have and should require assistance on location just e-mail me.
    :
    : I also saw you were looking at the salt tram area on the back side of Cerro Gordo, there are some natural hot springs there where you can camp and have a little get together in the warmer months.
    : : Sounds like we have two ghost town rallies in the making!
    : : What we should do is set up an Eastern Sierra Rally AND a Death Valley Rally!
    : : I wonder if people would be interested in several days to combine both Cerro Gordo and Death Valley/Pinamint City? I know I would be interested for sure!
    : : Perhaps one idea: Have the regular rally at Cerro Gordo and then head into Death Valley for another day or so for those that would like to. I think that would be a great idea! From most people I have gotten negative responses to the hike up to Beveridge, so Death Valley might be a much better call!
    : : But for sure FOR SURE the first day of the rally should be an will be at Cerro Gordo! Anything after that is cool and I'm all for it but Cerro Gordo is a must!
    : : Email me with any other suggestions, we still have 4+ months to get this all hammered out!
    : : -Cat and Ripley

: : : : : Cat Evans and I have been in communication for Eastern California Ralley. We seem to be narrowing down to Cerro Gordo, as that place would have adaquate facilities for a group of some size, plus Jody Stewart is a very gracious and wonderful host. I've a friend who's been to Beveridge (in fact he's hiking in today), and he cautions against anyone but the strongest hikers and likely more than one day would be required, either from above the townsite or from Saline Valley. I've forwarded two e-mails to Cat from Tom regarding Beveridge. If anyone is interested in his statistics on Beveridge, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of his two mailings. Otherwise, Cerro Gordo would be central to enjoying CG, Saline Valley, Darwin, Lookout, Skidoo, Harrisburg, Emigrant Springs, Wild Rose, Gold Belt, Ubehebe, Salina City, Burgess, Ballarat, Keeler, the Carson & Colorado Railroad bed and other historic sites. -- David A. Wright, Great Basin Research

: : : : David,
    : : : : Perhaps Panamint Springs would be a good place to base out of, they have camping, cabins, showers, gas, and a BAR, they are also close to Cerro and maybe a hike to Panamint City would be better, it takes about 3 hours to hike to up there, like you said, there are lots of places to explore in this area, including Lookout, Barker Ranch, Goler Canyon, and Pleasant Canyon.
    : : : : Lewis

: : : Lewis:

: : : Panamint Springs sounds good. Cat originally e-mailed me with the idea of Cerro Gordo. I thinkeither would fill the bill, although Jody's hospitality and ghost town atmosphere at CG would add immensly to a ralley. There is also some thought to northern towns suchs as Bodie, Masonic and Aurora, although I think April is too early for the northern and higher towns.

Thread Information