Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastern California Rally?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Eastern California Rally?

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: OK! THIS IS IT! I've talked with Todd and he agreed to help out with an official Ghost Town Rally for Eastern California!
    : I have some ideas, let me know if any sound good:
    : Cerro Gordo in the Inyo Mountains (they have bunkhouses and a restruant in the old American Hotel)
    : Bodie/Aurora just north of Mammoth
    : Masonic/Chemung just north of Mammoth
    : Belfort/Clinton just north of Mammoth

: If we did the Cerro Gordo idea then the next day all those interested can join in on a hike up to Beveridge Ghost Camp.

: A trip to Death Valley this winter is a MUST for me! I get soooooo sick of snow by Feb/March that I will definitely need some time off in a nice dry/warm place! If you want to meet up in DV I would be MORE than happy to join!
    : -Cat and Ripley

: : : : :
    : : : : : : : Hey Rob what part of California are you thinking about having a rally in?
    : : : : : : : : There seems to be quite a few of us who have posted recently about our interest in exploring eastern California together. Is anyone interested in organizing a rally, or a weekend get together?
    : : : : : : : : Rob

: : : : : : Rob,
    : : : : : : That sounds like a GREAT idea! But winter is already kicking in, and it might be a good idea to wait until this coming spring or summer! I would, most definitley, help organize! I live in Mammoth, and even run a condo rental office and can work some killer deals for people not interested in camping.
    : : : : : : Tell me what you think, and then we can merge minds!
    : : : : : : -Cat and Ripley
    : : : : : Cat, I was thinking late Spring would be a good time to do it. Mammoth lakes would be a great home base to do our eploring from. I was hoping the organizers of this web site might be interested in organizing an official rally in the area.
    : : : : : BTW, my extended family spends a week in Mammoth every summer. We may have to get in touch with you for one of your "killer" condo deals.
    : : : : : Rob
    : : : : Rob,
    : : : : Spring would be PERFECT as long as we actually get a spring this coming year (it snowed through June 97')! As it gets closer we can figure out the details but in the meantime lets get ahold of Todd and Bob(?) about making it one of the officail rallies! I would imagine a California rally would go over really well! I know a TON of people that would be interested! CANT WAIT and neither can Ripley!
    : : : : -Cat

: : :
    : : : Why not Death Valley / Mojave Desert this winter? I live in Big Pine and know many of the ghost towns in the region (I have many photos in the DV sites). Anywhere under 7,000 feet should be fine as long as the weather is not stormy.
    : : Cat, that sounds good. David, I am up for a winter rally in the desert also...

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Todd Underwood where are you?

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: ROB,
    : WE'RE DOING IT! Todd has agreed to help us organize an Eastern Sierra Ghost Town Rally! Please email me and lets get talking and figure out what we should do!
    : I'm leaning towards Cerro Gordo the 1st day and then all the adventuresome folks can join in for a hike up to Beveridge Ghost Camp the next day! What do you think?
    : Let me know!
    : -Cat and Ripley

: : Todd, please scroll down to and read the subject "Eastern California Rally", if you haven't allready.
    : : Quite a few of us are hoping you would be interested in organizing an Eastern California rally sometime next spring.

Default Re: Todd Underwood where are you?

Originally posted by Rob

: Cat, that sounds like a great plan. If we let Jody Stewart know in advance that we are coming to Cerro Gordo, she might let us see some things that are otherwise off limits.
    : I'm game for hiking to Beveridge, but from what I understand it is an all day hike that requires strict planning. You only have about 1/2 hour to explore the camp before having to turn back so that you do not run out of daylight on the return hike.
    : Rob

: : ROB,
    : : WE'RE DOING IT! Todd has agreed to help us organize an Eastern Sierra Ghost Town Rally! Please email me and lets get talking and figure out what we should do!
    : : I'm leaning towards Cerro Gordo the 1st day and then all the adventuresome folks can join in for a hike up to Beveridge Ghost Camp the next day! What do you think?
    : : Let me know!
    : : -Cat and Ripley

: : : Todd, please scroll down to and read the subject "Eastern California Rally", if you haven't allready.
    : : : Quite a few of us are hoping you would be interested in organizing an Eastern California rally sometime next spring.

Originally posted by Eric

:
    : :
    : : : : :
    : : : : : : : Hey Rob what part of California are you thinking about having a rally in?
    : : : : : : : : There seems to be quite a few of us who have posted recently about our interest in exploring eastern California together. Is anyone interested in organizing a rally, or a weekend get together?
    : : : : : : : : Rob

: : : : : : Rob,
    : : : : : : That sounds like a GREAT idea! But winter is already kicking in, and it might be a good idea to wait until this coming spring or summer! I would, most definitley, help organize! I live in Mammoth, and even run a condo rental office and can work some killer deals for people not interested in camping.
    : : : : : : Tell me what you think, and then we can merge minds!
    : : : : : : -Cat and Ripley
    : : : : : Cat, I was thinking late Spring would be a good time to do it. Mammoth lakes would be a great home base to do our eploring from. I was hoping the organizers of this web site might be interested in organizing an official rally in the area.
    : : : : : BTW, my extended family spends a week in Mammoth every summer. We may have to get in touch with you for one of your "killer" condo deals.
    : : : : : Rob
    : : : : Rob,
    : : : : Spring would be PERFECT as long as we actually get a spring this coming year (it snowed through June 97')! As it gets closer we can figure out the details but in the meantime lets get ahold of Todd and Bob(?) about making it one of the officail rallies! I would imagine a California rally would go over really well! I know a TON of people that would be interested! CANT WAIT and neither can Ripley!
    : : : : -Cat

: : :
    : : : Why not Death Valley / Mojave Desert this winter? I live in Big Pine and know many of the ghost towns in the region (I have many photos in the DV sites). Anywhere under 7,000 feet should be fine as long as the weather is not stormy.
    : : Cat, that sounds good. David, I am up for a winter rally in the desert also...

: I have just recently found this awesome site. This rally sounds like a great idea. I like the idea
    : of the bodie, masonic and belfort areas as I
    : frequent these areas quite a bit. I usually camp
    : at masonic during the summer and spring. Easy to
    : get to and not to much traffic. I have never been
    : to belfort but am very interested. I have also been to several towns in Nevada also. Does this
    : beveridge exist. I have never seen it in any books. This wold be an awesome trip.

Default Re: Eastern California Rally

Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : Todd, please scroll down to and read the subject "Eastern California Rally", if you haven't allready.
    : : Quite a few of us are hoping you would be interested in organizing an Eastern California rally sometime next spring.

: Hi Guys,
    : Count me in on an "Eastern California Rally", but spring might be a better time. I have been out in Death Valley for the past week and passed through Darwin at around noon and it was 38 Degrees with a wind of about 10-20mph. (burr!) even the camera shivered on the tripod.
    : Also, there are 2 ways into Beveridge, from the west near Lone Pine and from the East via Saline Valley, (maybe we could visit the salt tram too).
    : Lewis

Originally posted by Bill Schmelzer

: I have been following this thread and would also be very interested in meeting up with others for this type of event. I know the areas mentioned well and would love a chance to explore Beveridge.

: Bill

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: Cat Evans and I have been in communication for Eastern California Ralley. We seem to be narrowing down to Cerro Gordo, as that place would have adaquate facilities for a group of some size, plus Jody Stewart is a very gracious and wonderful host. I've a friend who's been to Beveridge (in fact he's hiking in today), and he cautions against anyone but the strongest hikers and likely more than one day would be required, either from above the townsite or from Saline Valley. I've forwarded two e-mails to Cat from Tom regarding Beveridge. If anyone is interested in his statistics on Beveridge, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of his two mailings. Otherwise, Cerro Gordo would be central to enjoying CG, Saline Valley, Darwin, Lookout, Skidoo, Harrisburg, Emigrant Springs, Wild Rose, Gold Belt, Ubehebe, Salina City, Burgess, Ballarat, Keeler, the Carson & Colorado Railroad bed and other historic sites. -- David A. Wright, Great Basin Research

Originally posted by Rob

: David, I agree with you on Cerro Gordo being a great place to headquarter the rally. Those who want to could stay in Jody's bed and breakfast there. I also had reservations about Beveridge, due to the length of time I understand it takes to reach it. I have heard that if the hike is done in one day, you would only have approximately 1/2 hours to enjoy the place before heading back so as not to run out of daylight. I think a group of us should plan a trip to Beveridge at some other time. I think there would be plenty to see in the area, with Darwin, Lookout etc., or we could head up to the Bodie/Masonic area for the 2nd day... Rob

: : Cat Evans and I have been in communication for Eastern California Ralley. We seem to be narrowing down to Cerro Gordo, as that place would have adaquate facilities for a group of some size, plus Jody Stewart is a very gracious and wonderful host. I've a friend who's been to Beveridge (in fact he's hiking in today), and he cautions against anyone but the strongest hikers and likely more than one day would be required, either from above the townsite or from Saline Valley. I've forwarded two e-mails to Cat from Tom regarding Beveridge. If anyone is interested in his statistics on Beveridge, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of his two mailings. Otherwise, Cerro Gordo would be central to enjoying CG, Saline Valley, Darwin, Lookout, Skidoo, Harrisburg, Emigrant Springs, Wild Rose, Gold Belt, Ubehebe, Salina City, Burgess, Ballarat, Keeler, the Carson & Colorado Railroad bed and other historic sites. -- David A. Wright, Great Basin Research

Originally posted by Lewis Shorb

: : Cat Evans and I have been in communication for Eastern California Ralley. We seem to be narrowing down to Cerro Gordo, as that place would have adaquate facilities for a group of some size, plus Jody Stewart is a very gracious and wonderful host. I've a friend who's been to Beveridge (in fact he's hiking in today), and he cautions against anyone but the strongest hikers and likely more than one day would be required, either from above the townsite or from Saline Valley. I've forwarded two e-mails to Cat from Tom regarding Beveridge. If anyone is interested in his statistics on Beveridge, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of his two mailings. Otherwise, Cerro Gordo would be central to enjoying CG, Saline Valley, Darwin, Lookout, Skidoo, Harrisburg, Emigrant Springs, Wild Rose, Gold Belt, Ubehebe, Salina City, Burgess, Ballarat, Keeler, the Carson & Colorado Railroad bed and other historic sites. -- David A. Wright, Great Basin Research

: David,
    : Perhaps Panamint Springs would be a good place to base out of, they have camping, cabins, showers, gas, and a BAR, they are also close to Cerro and maybe a hike to Panamint City would be better, it takes about 3 hours to hike to up there, like you said, there are lots of places to explore in this area, including Lookout, Barker Ranch, Goler Canyon, and Pleasant Canyon.
    : Lewis

Originally posted by David A. Wright

:
    : : : Cat Evans and I have been in communication for Eastern California Ralley. We seem to be narrowing down to Cerro Gordo, as that place would have adaquate facilities for a group of some size, plus Jody Stewart is a very gracious and wonderful host. I've a friend who's been to Beveridge (in fact he's hiking in today), and he cautions against anyone but the strongest hikers and likely more than one day would be required, either from above the townsite or from Saline Valley. I've forwarded two e-mails to Cat from Tom regarding Beveridge. If anyone is interested in his statistics on Beveridge, e-mail me and I'll send you a copy of his two mailings. Otherwise, Cerro Gordo would be central to enjoying CG, Saline Valley, Darwin, Lookout, Skidoo, Harrisburg, Emigrant Springs, Wild Rose, Gold Belt, Ubehebe, Salina City, Burgess, Ballarat, Keeler, the Carson & Colorado Railroad bed and other historic sites. -- David A. Wright, Great Basin Research

: : David,
    : : Perhaps Panamint Springs would be a good place to base out of, they have camping, cabins, showers, gas, and a BAR, they are also close to Cerro and maybe a hike to Panamint City would be better, it takes about 3 hours to hike to up there, like you said, there are lots of places to explore in this area, including Lookout, Barker Ranch, Goler Canyon, and Pleasant Canyon.
    : : Lewis

:
    : Lewis:

: Panamint Springs sounds good. Cat originally e-mailed me with the idea of Cerro Gordo. I thinkeither would fill the bill, although Jody's hospitality and ghost town atmosphere at CG would add immensly to a ralley. There is also some thought to northern towns suchs as Bodie, Masonic and Aurora, although I think April is too early for the northern and higher towns.

Thread Information