Thread: part (two) Eldoradoville history

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default part (two) Eldoradoville history

Originally posted by Johnnie

: As I mentioned in my posting the other day I would post more history on the East fork of the San Gaberial river and the mining town of "Eldoradoville" the whole area is chuck full of old west history in the quest for "gold" and because I reside so close to the aera I have spent a lot of time doing research on the San Gaberials, and even though the canyon settlements have been wash away many times by floods, people keep comeing back to look for "gold" and every few months you hear about some one finding a good size gold nuggets, today you can find a lot of weekend gold panners, trying their luck.
    : Well the history gold being discovered in the San Gaberials as I mensioned before started in the 1840s and streaching from Soledad canyon just east of bakerfield calif. clear out to Cajon Pass in San bernadino county, the Big & Little Tunjunga are big producers and supposedly worked by the indians for the padres of mission San Fernando as reported in the Pasadena Union newspaper of Oct 29, 1887 and the outlaw bandit Tiburcio Vasquez is reported to have done some pokeing around on "mill creek" in the 1870s and just above Pasadena calif where the famouse rose parade and Rose Bowl is located there was numerous gold discovers and just east of Pasadena above the famouse Santa Anita Race Track was the Santa Anita Placers as reported in the Los Angeles Star of February 11 1854 and next to that was the San Gaberials where the biggest gold discovers were made, In a local newspaper dated sept.21, 1854 repored that miners were averageing six dollars a day panning and that started a stanpede to the canyon and this started tri weekly stage line leaving Los Angles early A.m and returing late in afternoon the fare was set at $3 to the mouth of the canyon and $6 dollars to Prospect Bar diggings and prices of Items were high in and around Eldoradoville, here are some examples.

: Flower- $9 per 100 lbs.
    : bacon- 27c per lb.
    : coffee--25c per lb.
    : molassas-$1.50 per gallon
    : Tobacco- 50c per lb.
    : sugar-$4 per 25lbs.

: As the town grew the formation of the Eldoadoville Mining District was formed and embraced 27 elaborate mining laws and concluded by saying " the writer of these laws is confident that the returs of gold dust from the San gaberials will be to those of no other river in the state.

: The town of Eldoadoville sprang back to life after the flood of 1859 more rowdy than ever.and later bosted of a half dozen saloons with their gambling running wide open and John Robb, who spent a half a century in the mining district said he made more money by running the sawdust from the floor of the Union Saloon through his sluice box than he was able to make from real mining,so prodigal and careless of their pokes of "gold" were the miners and gamblers of those days.
    :
    : The Star`s correspondent was sent up to Eldoadoville to report his findings and he complained that there was no law and order in this mining town as reported late spring of 1861 assaults were frequent occurance and had their share of shootings and killings over the years and some of the wild and wooly characers were numours some of the famouse old west history makers that came to see the "East Fork" was the "Earps" and but did not find it intriging enough. and Lucky Baldwin is said to check out the new bananza he is the one that built the Sata Anita Race Track on his ranch back in the 1800s there is many others who came to the San Gaberials to look for their pot of "gold" and I will post them later so watch the bulletin board for more history on this great gold and silver bearing ghost towns of california. my thanks to all the staff of ghosttowns.om for this opptunity to share our love for the old west.

: Thanks again Johnnie

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Allison Mine-just up the hill from Eldoradoville

Originally posted by Bill J

: Anyone up for a DAYHIKE to the Allison Mine??? Bill

Default Re: part (two) Eldoradoville history

Originally posted by Section106Nut

: Johnnie,
    :
    : Just a quick note, always post your sources! This keeps people from thinking that you just typed up something from a book.

: Section106Nut

Originally posted by Fritz Campbell

: : As I mentioned in my posting the other day I would post more history on the East fork of the San Gaberial river and the mining town of "Eldoradoville" the whole area is chuck full of old west history in the quest for "gold" and because I reside so close to the aera I have spent a lot of time doing research on the San Gaberials, and even though the canyon settlements have been wash away many times by floods, people keep comeing back to look for "gold" and every few months you hear about some one finding a good size gold nuggets, today you can find a lot of weekend gold panners, trying their luck.
    : : Well the history gold being discovered in the San Gaberials as I mensioned before started in the 1840s and streaching from Soledad canyon just east of bakerfield calif. clear out to Cajon Pass in San bernadino county, the Big & Little Tunjunga are big producers and supposedly worked by the indians for the padres of mission San Fernando as reported in the Pasadena Union newspaper of Oct 29, 1887 and the outlaw bandit Tiburcio Vasquez is reported to have done some pokeing around on "mill creek" in the 1870s and just above Pasadena calif where the famouse rose parade and Rose Bowl is located there was numerous gold discovers and just east of Pasadena above the famouse Santa Anita Race Track was the Santa Anita Placers as reported in the Los Angeles Star of February 11 1854 and next to that was the San Gaberials where the biggest gold discovers were made, In a local newspaper dated sept.21, 1854 repored that miners were averageing six dollars a day panning and that started a stanpede to the canyon and this started tri weekly stage line leaving Los Angles early A.m and returing late in afternoon the fare was set at $3 to the mouth of the canyon and $6 dollars to Prospect Bar diggings and prices of Items were high in and around Eldoradoville, here are some examples.

: : Flower- $9 per 100 lbs.
    : : bacon- 27c per lb.
    : : coffee--25c per lb.
    : : molassas-$1.50 per gallon
    : : Tobacco- 50c per lb.
    : : sugar-$4 per 25lbs.

: : As the town grew the formation of the Eldoadoville Mining District was formed and embraced 27 elaborate mining laws and concluded by saying " the writer of these laws is confident that the returs of gold dust from the San gaberials will be to those of no other river in the state.

: : The town of Eldoadoville sprang back to life after the flood of 1859 more rowdy than ever.and later bosted of a half dozen saloons with their gambling running wide open and John Robb, who spent a half a century in the mining district said he made more money by running the sawdust from the floor of the Union Saloon through his sluice box than he was able to make from real mining,so prodigal and careless of their pokes of "gold" were the miners and gamblers of those days.
    : :
    : : The Star`s correspondent was sent up to Eldoadoville to report his findings and he complained that there was no law and order in this mining town as reported late spring of 1861 assaults were frequent occurance and had their share of shootings and killings over the years and some of the wild and wooly characers were numours some of the famouse old west history makers that came to see the "East Fork" was the "Earps" and but did not find it intriging enough. and Lucky Baldwin is said to check out the new bananza he is the one that built the Sata Anita Race Track on his ranch back in the 1800s there is many others who came to the San Gaberials to look for their pot of "gold" and I will post them later so watch the bulletin board for more history on this great gold and silver bearing ghost towns of california. my thanks to all the staff of ghosttowns.om for this opptunity to share our love for the old west.

: : Thanks again Johnnie

Originally posted by Fritz Campbell

: Sorry i messed up your messAage board, but before I things sorted out the next thing I knew it was posted.

: I found some newspaper articles of the day in the Los Angeles City Library. Also, in the early 70s I was doing an investigations up there and talked to the head ranger, who had been there for 30 years and knew a little about the area. He told me that the the only gold taken out of the San Gabriels was the Placer gold and that the source of this gold had never been found. He also told me another mine that was behind some land being leased for cattle grazing and that the mine shaft was in pretty good shape and that there were 2 or 3 buildings left in tact there. Never got there although I had permission and was given a key to get throught the forest service gates. Now this was 30 years ago so most of the outbuilding may be totally gone now. He said most of this information came from personal knowledge of the area and in talking to some old time residents and gold seekers,

Thread Information