Thread: Abandoned military sites in Nevada..

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Abandoned military sites in Nevada..

Originally posted by Bulldog

: Anyone have any info/links to these type of "ghost towns" in Nevada?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Abandoned military sites in Nevada..

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Not sure how to answer this. OK, there were really old stuff significant sites like Fort Churchill (State Park), Fort McDermitt, Fort Halleck. There were some camps along the Colorado, many now under Lake Mohave. Some of the other early stuff (Camp McGarry, Camp Winfield Scott, etc.) very little remains. At least one Fort (Fort Baker) never were staffed and were only used as misinformation for Confederate Spies. Turn of the century stuff like Spanish American War are now housing in the Carson Valley. Some of the WWII stuff like Camp Siebert is gone, replaced with homes (The only remains of this is an off-limits Machine Gun Nest on the Arizona Side of the Dam). Other WWII stuff has industrial uses (Stead, the Tonopah Air Field) or have been re-activated (Fallon, Nellis, Indian Springs). You can find some evidence of Patton's Tank Training (and Cold War training) south of Searchlight but be prepared to hike a lot to find old telephone wire, rock circle decorations and not much more. Most Cold war facilities are within restricted areas (Mellon, Watertown (AKA The Ranch), Camp Desert Rock). If your into the obscure, I can direct you to a couple of sources, the spectacular (Fort Churchill is the best, most of Halleck was sold and moved to nearby ranches), post war and black project areas try surfing the net and believe about a fifth of what is written. Like I say, I'm not sure how to answer your question so feel free direct this thread into your area of interest.

Default Re: Camp Sibert/Camp Williston

: I should never proof read something I already posted. Camp Sibert was not spelled Siebert. If you can get permission to visit the machine gun nest you'll be surprised. It looks like a little thrown together rock structure with a thatched roof but is a steel reinforced concrete pillbox bunker veneered with rock constructor shortly after Pearl Harbor and continuously manned 24-7 during the war. A squad of riflemen were scattered around the rocks around the dam as well. Go there in July and next time you see a military policeman, salute him for his brothers. By the way Camp McGarry, Called Fort McGarry by the DOD is on a FUDS (Formerly Used Defense Site) clean up list, you tell me what an 19th century fort could have that is still hazardous.

Originally posted by Mike

: Check out this site

: http://triggur.org/silo/site.html

: Thanks for the info. What I'm really looking for is mostly cold war stuff. I realize that most of these places are probably still restricted, but I thought I take a stab at it and post here to see if anyone knew.

: Just returned from overseas and have some leave to kill.It escapes my why I want to willingly spend more time in the desert..lol..

: You might spend some time around the ghost town of Tybo. We wanted to set of a blast that was too large for the NTS so we dug a hole just a bit North of US 6 between Warm Springs and Blue Jay DOT site, called it the Northern Nevada Test Site, and shook the ground. There was an air field associated with this but the DOE boys seem to have given that part of the facility to the DOD and one can guess as to its purpose, 60 miles northwest of "the ranch". The site where the bomb was set of is BLM land with no restriction. If your into an adventure, I can point you to some activity relating to a A12 that crashed on BLM land within 50 miles of Elgin (Again BLM land), or direct you toward some interesting areas near Cedar Pipe well but have a good map and GPS, cause while the "off restricted land" civilian security folk will just watch, the M-16 armed military guard types adjacent have deadly force authorization on their side of the line. Most all other Cold War facilities are still on restricted access land (Camp Desert Rock, The Korean Village Simulation over the hill from Tolicha Peak, Melon facility, Watertown, etc ) and many like the Navy's Nuke Sub detachment on the Army munitions base at Hawthorne, the currant activity on the Tonopah Test Range (TTR - like the old Melon), the continuing activity at "the ranch" (AKA so-called Area 51 and/or S4), and that Tolicha Peak facility appear very much manned and on going today. Just ain't much in the way of ghost town like "accessible" cold war facilities in Nevada. If you have a Top Secret DOD / DOE Crypto clearance and good archeological credentials I have some names for you to contact. If your just looking to roam a bit in a friendly desert, I stay away from the TTR, Nellis, Fallon, DOE borders even though some small amount of Cold War stuff (AEC, early CIA involved black projects, early Nuke weapons stuff) is on the accessible side of their borders, and while it isn't anything of interest to National Security, the ongoing post-cold war stuff makes your activities observed and your actions suspect.

: Thanks again.My job in the Corps gives me ATS clearance but I doubt that anyone I run into on restricted land will really care.
    : I've got an old girlfriend stationed at Indian Springs as an AF SP.So I guess I'll kiss and make up with her and maybe get the inside skinny on where to go and not to go.

Originally posted by TheLow1

: : Check out this site

: : http://triggur.org/silo/site.html

:
    : Nice Site, Can I get a hint on where this is????
    : Thanks

Thread Information