Thread: "Tombstone" and the it`s Legendary figure "Wyatt Earp "

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default "Tombstone" and the it`s Legendary figure "Wyatt Earp "

Originally posted by Johnnie

: "Thombstone" the most popular of the south/west ghost towns mainly because of It`s legendary figure "Wyatt Earp," and his famous brothers and Doc. Holliday just to name a few, that realy put this town on the "Map" and still holds a lot Intrest and worth going out of your way to visit and explore, and the many old west figures that made this town and the whole surounding aera so famouse are too many to mention right now is now documented in print, and in the most comprehensive collection of old orig. photos ever seen before, that are shown here for the first time in book that is at the printers at this very monent and will be availabe next month and the author is one my fellow researcher one of my best friends Mr. "Lee Silva" and has written many articals on the old west for "True West" and is a member in the Screen Actors Guild and has been in several westerns through the years so when he gave me the privilege of reading a "proof copy" this last week and found it one of the best comprehensive book ever put together on this old west figure, and the author Mr.Silva even mentioned "me" in his Acknowlegements along with many others for are input so I felt had to share this great "news" with rest of you old west,"Buffs" Thanks to the staff of Ghosttowns.com for this great web-site thanks again Johnnie

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Favorite "Wyatt Earp" story

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Wyatt lived to a ripe old age but my favorite Wyatt Earp story took place in Tonopah shortly after the original handshake leases ran out. (The old Nye County DA, Jim Butler (representing jis partners and himself) would give miners at strip of his claim to mine till the end of the year for a portion of the profits and a handshake. The new DA, Tasker Oddie, and one of the partners) would note the handshake and do the accounting but Tasker was a highly respect and a man with scruples. When Butler et al. sold the claims to the New England group, they hired Tasker to watch over their western interests. One day, Tasker, unarmed happen to find a bunch (4 or 5) Utah rowdies trying to dig a deep enough hole to jump a claim on one of the New England consortium's claims. Tasker jumped in the hole and ordered the rowdies to leave (One unarmed man surrounded by several shovel carrying bad guys.) The rowdies started to move in a threatening manner toward Tasker who stood his ground. Just then, a local barkeeper walked by and asked Tasker if he was alright and did he need any help. The bad guys, already shocked by Tasker's bravery, said something to the effect, "And who da ____ are you?". The bartender replied his name was Earp, Wyatt Earp. The rowdies shuffled back to Utah and Tasker went on to be Governor and a US Senator. One of Wyatt's brothers joined him in Tonopah/Goldfield and I believe the brother passed away around 1910 there. Wyatt lived another 25 years or so.

Default Re: "Tombstone" and the it`s Legendary figure "Wyatt Earp "

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: Thanks for the tip. Tombstone and all of it's drama is always so enticing to read about. Looking forward to it being published!!!

: : "Thombstone" the most popular of the south/west ghost towns mainly because of It`s legendary figure "Wyatt Earp," and his famous brothers and Doc. Holliday just to name a few, that realy put this town on the "Map" and still holds a lot Intrest and worth going out of your way to visit and explore, and the many old west figures that made this town and the whole surounding aera so famouse are too many to mention right now is now documented in print, and in the most comprehensive collection of old orig. photos ever seen before, that are shown here for the first time in book that is at the printers at this very monent and will be availabe next month and the author is one my fellow researcher one of my best friends Mr. "Lee Silva" and has written many articals on the old west for "True West" and is a member in the Screen Actors Guild and has been in several westerns through the years so when he gave me the privilege of reading a "proof copy" this last week and found it one of the best comprehensive book ever put together on this old west figure, and the author Mr.Silva even mentioned "me" in his Acknowlegements along with many others for are input so I felt had to share this great "news" with rest of you old west,"Buffs" Thanks to the staff of Ghosttowns.com for this great web-site thanks again Johnnie

Default Re: Favorite "Wyatt Earp" story

Originally posted by johnnie

: : Wyatt lived to a ripe old age but my favorite Wyatt Earp story took place in Tonopah shortly after the original handshake leases ran out. (The old Nye County DA, Jim Butler (representing jis partners and himself) would give miners at strip of his claim to mine till the end of the year for a portion of the profits and a handshake. The new DA, Tasker Oddie, and one of the partners) would note the handshake and do the accounting but Tasker was a highly respect and a man with scruples. When Butler et al. sold the claims to the New England group, they hired Tasker to watch over their western interests. One day, Tasker, unarmed happen to find a bunch (4 or 5) Utah rowdies trying to dig a deep enough hole to jump a claim on one of the New England consortium's claims. Tasker jumped in the hole and ordered the rowdies to leave (One unarmed man surrounded by several shovel carrying bad guys.) The rowdies started to move in a threatening manner toward Tasker who stood his ground. Just then, a local barkeeper walked by and asked Tasker if he was alright and did he need any help. The bad guys, already shocked by Tasker's bravery, said something to the effect, "And who da ____ are you?". The bartender replied his name was Earp, Wyatt Earp. The rowdies shuffled back to Utah and Tasker went on to be Governor and a US Senator. One of Wyatt's brothers joined him in Tonopah/Goldfield and I believe the brother passed away around 1910 there. Wyatt lived another 25 years or so.

: Great story! I myself have some favorites that I wiil post at a later date, thanks for the input

: thanks again
    : Johnnie

Default Re: "Tombstone" and the it`s Legendary figure "Wyatt Earp "

Originally posted by johnnie

: : Thanks for the tip. Tombstone and all of it's drama is always so enticing to read about. Looking forward to it being published!!!

: : : "Thombstone" the most popular of the south/west ghost towns mainly because of It`s legendary figure "Wyatt Earp," and his famous brothers and Doc. Holliday just to name a few, that realy put this town on the "Map" and still holds a lot Intrest and worth going out of your way to visit and explore, and the many old west figures that made this town and the whole surounding aera so famouse are too many to mention right now is now documented in print, and in the most comprehensive collection of old orig. photos ever seen before, that are shown here for the first time in book that is at the printers at this very monent and will be availabe next month and the author is one my fellow researcher one of my best friends Mr. "Lee Silva" and has written many articals on the old west for "True West" and is a member in the Screen Actors Guild and has been in several westerns through the years so when he gave me the privilege of reading a "proof copy" this last week and found it one of the best comprehensive book ever put together on this old west figure, and the author Mr.Silva even mentioned "me" in his Acknowlegements along with many others for are input so I felt had to share this great "news" with rest of you old west,"Buffs" Thanks to the staff of Ghosttowns.com for this great web-site thanks again Johnnie

:
    : Thanks to Coach Bodie for your Input.

: Thanks again Johnnie

Did you know that the gun that Wyatt was shooting when he chased Curley Bill out of town broke the firing pin and he threw it away during the chase. It has never been found!
    Think about what it would be worth today!

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by bunk
    Did you know that the gun that Wyatt was shooting when he chased Curley Bill out of town broke the firing pin and he threw it away during the chase. It has never been found!
    Think about what it would be worth today!
    Thanks! Bunk for that part of history toss to one side, just like that old "Colt 45"

Back in the 1960s I had the privledge of meeting and talking several times with John Parkes, who at the time lived in Temple City, California. There is only a few old historians still left, that know who John parkes,was. Mr.Parkes was a neighbor of Wyatt and Josie Earp in the early 1920s on 17th st. in Los Angeles California, where young John Parkes lived with his parents and his grandfather Charles L. Seltzer, who also live in the same court, and was mining partner of the Earps, and spent alot of time together out in their mining claims near the Colorado River.

I have a letter dated in 1963 that John parkes showed me and now have in my collection, And in this letter written by John D. Gilchriese to Mr.Parks, indicateing how much he would like to meet up with Mr. Parkes at the earliest conveience,to discuss first hand what he knew about this ledgendary old west figure Wyatt Earp.

Most of you historians know that John D. Gilchriese at the time was a field Historian for the University of Arizona and had collected more than 13,000 items that pertained to Wyatt Earp, and this Colt that fellow ghosttowner "Bunk" memioned was (not) part of the collection. And i do remember John Parks bringing that very subject up in one of my many converstions in the 1960s and this subject was related to him "Mr. Parkes" by Wyatt & Josie back in the 1920s.

As a researcher myself i too seek out all the information i could find on the old West, and the People who made the history books, and Wyatt Earp is just one of many i did research on and i guess thats what brought my fellow researcher Lee Silva, and I together as friends, because of that great love for the old west and people who made it so famous.

I do have a lot more to share about the Earps, And my familys contribution to the building of the old west, but i will save this for some articals that i hope Lee Silva,will help me with. Or maybe someday if I have the time I put some articals together, and maybe even a book in print and share with others this love for the old west.

Your fellow Ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 03-07-2005 at 08:58 AM.

Wink Tombstone and Wyatt Earp

Bunk.....It makes me wonder if somebody found Wyatt's gun sometime in the past, not knowing what it's historical significance is. What a piece that would make for my collection. On another note, I'm sure a lot of you already know that Johnny Ringo is buried on private property in Cochise County, Az. From what I understand, the owners have given permission in the past for Old West nuts, like us, to visit the gravesite.

Thread Information