Thread: "Wyatt Earp"

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default "Wyatt Earp"

Originally posted by Johnnie

: thanks for the replys from Coach Bodie, and Yet Another BoB, for their Input thats, why this web-site "Is what it Is" It give us all a oppertunity to share our thoughts and feelings about the old west that is fadeing fast just like our "Ghost Towns" I have photos in my collections of several old mining towns that I wan`t to share with everbody as soon as i can, but when I was looking over some of my photos that I took my self back in the 1950s and I look at what is left of them now,It is hard to belive that these ghost towns are disappearing so fast, I guess we can be thankfull for this great web-site and all of us combined will save what`s left hopefully!

:
    : Now for a personal story I want to share about "Wyatt Earp" I had the privilege of meeting a Mr. Parkes back in the late 1950s who lived nextdoor to Wyatt and his wife Josephine on 17th st in los Angles, california and he related a lot information over to me that I will post at a later time, I will also post some information on when the "Wyatt Earp" book becomes available.

: Thanks again
    : Johnnie

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default "Virgil Earp"

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: If you come across anything about Virgil Earp and a bar in Vanderbilt California, I appreciate the reference.

Default Re: "Virgil Earp"

Originally posted by johnnie

: : Johnnie

: : If you come across anything about Virgil Earp and a bar in Vanderbilt California, I appreciate the reference.

:
    : Yes I do remember coming across some information on "virgil" living in vanderbilt Calif. and I will take some time out and look that information up and post it , as soon as can I have been very busy lately so bare with me.

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Thank you

: Thank you, knowing that it is planted in your mind is sufficient for now. The only references I have are personal correspondence and an addendum to Averitt's 1962 Southern Nevada Place Names book (Again obtained via personal correspondence). I'm in no rush on my end.

Originally posted by johnnie

: : Johnnie

: : If you come across anything about Virgil Earp and a bar in Vanderbilt California, I appreciate the reference.

: When I was checking over my references on Vanderbilt I found that Virgil, the famouse brother of Wyatt Earp did own the only two-story building in town where lodge mettings and dances were held now I did not find any information that that two story building was a saloon, but in haveing research the "Earp" brothers as much as my friends and I have, I think that it was also a bar even though I find no real documentation as yet but I will check more references, but I did find that this town had a newspaper called The Shaft, and four restaurants three boarding houses, and a half dozen general stores and six saloons knowing the Earps, as big investers in any thing that brought a big and fast returns, Virgil must of owned one of them, and with a population of 3,000 the "Gold Bar " and the "Whist Club" had to stay open 24 hours a day,to keep up with the demaned which is just what they always looked for, if anyone can find an old newspaper from that town we could find out more history in and around this old mineing town of Vanderbilt I hope that helps some for now.

Thread Information