Thread: Rip Van Winkle MIne

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Rip Van Winkle MIne

Originally posted by Heidi Essex

: Looking for info on the Rip Van Winkle MIne. I have three pictures taken in 1938 & 1939 showing the old mill, a cookhouse with two cabins and the vertical mine entrance. The area looks like western US, no catus in pictures. Could be in Nevada, but not sure. If you have any info, please email me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Rip Van Winkle MIne

Originally posted by Dezdan

: The Site is located on the west side of Lone Mountain in the Independence Mountain range of Nevada. It is the largest mine within the Merrimac Mining District of Nevada's Elko County. For many years it was considered the largest zinc mine in Nevada.

: Copper, lead, and silver were discovered in the area in 1866. Between its discovery in 1866 and 1949, the Merrimac Mining District produced a little over one million dollars worth of lead, zinc, copper, silver, and gold. The Rip Van Winkle Mine, the largest mine in the District, contributed the largest portion of the total production. The district is the largest recorded producer of zinc in Elko County.

: Discovered December 11, 1911, The Rip Van Winkle claim was filed on January 24, 1912, by John C. Yore and Jas. E. Denison. Yore sold the Rip Van Winkle sometime between 1912 and 1915 (sources vary) to the Alaska Improvement Company who operated the mine for several years before selling/leasing to a group of Elko Businessmen in 1916. An earthquake in 1917 cased extensive damage to the mine and it was not reopened until 1918. Work continued through the 1920s and 1930s with the Alaska Improvement Company leasing the property. In 1930 a 30-ton flotation plant was constructed at the site. In 1937 Edwin Seymour took over a lease and option agreement from the Alaska Improvement Company and formed the Rip Van Winkle Mining Company to continue mining the property. A 100-ton (sources vary between 65T to 100T) flotation mill complete with power plant, pump and pipeline, was built in 1939. Rip Van Winkle Company ended its operation of the mine in 1944, but mining was continued by lessees until 1951 when the mine shut down. In 1954 minor production again occurred at the Rip Van Winkle. Since the 1960's only exploration has occurred in the area. Currently, the Site is abandoned, however, there are active claims in the area.

: Info Via NV BLM

: ~Dezdan

: Other links:

: http://www.elkorose.com/lonemtn.html

: http://www.nv.blm.gov/AML/Current%20Projects/RipVanWinkle/Rip%20Van%20Winkle%20Mine.htm

: http://www.westgov.org/wga/initiatives/aml/attachment_to_wga_good_sam_testimony.htm

: http://nvghosttowns.topcities.com/elko/elkolst.htm

Originally posted by Heidi Essex

: I just wanted to say thank you for the follow up. I have been looking for info for 3 years now and its i can't believe how fast i was able to find info here on this web site. My friends in Price Utah have a scanner, so when I visit them this weekend, I will have them scan the pictures and send them here so you can see them. Thank you again.

Originally posted by kaleigh

: : Looking for info on the Rip Van Winkle MIne. I have three pictures taken in 1938 & 1939 showing the old mill, a cookhouse with two cabins and the vertical mine entrance. The area looks like western US, no catus in pictures. Could be in Nevada, but not sure. If you have any info, please email me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Originally posted by hector aguirre

: : Looking for info on the Rip Van Winkle MIne. I have three pictures taken in 1938 & 1939 showing the old mill, a cookhouse with two cabins and the vertical mine entrance. The area looks like western US, no catus in pictures. Could be in Nevada, but not sure. If you have any info, please email me. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thread Information