Thread: Looking for a ghost town to shoot movie in

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Looking for a ghost town to shoot movie in

Originally posted by Jennifer

: I love ghost towns and anything I can get my hands on that has to do with the history of the old west. I love it so much that I wrote a short movie that takes place in the 1870's. I would love to get the chance to try and make it, but I have next to no money and was wondering if anyone knows of anyone that may allow me to try and make this dream come true? All I need is a ghost town with a few buildings. I would obviously be more than respectful to the town. I live in southern california. Please help.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Looking for a ghost town to shoot movie in

Originally posted by cecile

: Lots of ghost towns out there on public lands that have a few buildings standing, but if you are seriously shooting a movie, I'd check with the Bureau of Land Mangement, or Forest Service, where the towns are before shooting. There are more than likely permits and fees required for filming of that sort of thing. If you are looking for a private ghost town, try Cerro Gordo in the Inyo Mountains above Lone Pine. Call John and Roxie Bowden 760-876-1860 and see if they can accomodate you.

Default Don't forget to bring your Check Book

Originally posted by Shallow Pockets

: Yea and don't forget to bring your Deep pocket book !! Nothing is free in Cerro Gordo not even taking pictures with your own camera!

Default Re: Don't forget to bring your Check Book

Originally posted by cecile

: Cerro Gordo is private property owned by Mike Patterson. Money collected for activities at Cerro Gordo goes towards further restoration efforts. I am friends with Mike, and John and Roxie. I volunteer my time to help with the town when I can, and I give generous donations, happily, to ensure that Cerro Gordo continues on for further generations. When you go to Bodie, it's a State Park, and you have to pay fees, to walk around. If you film a movie your going to have pay fees for that. You go to ghost towns that are not privately owned, or a state park, you have to use your imagination and any possible pictures that might be available in a guide or history book.
    : Anywhere you seriously are filming a movie, by the way, you have to pay fees to appropriate agencies, it's not free, and where does that money go to - certainly not historical restoration efforts. At least when you pay your money at Cerro Gordo, you know where the money is going. It takes a lot of money to run and restore a town like Cerro Gordo. The fees collected there barely help to keep the town going. Donations of time and money, and a full time job out of state for Mike, keep the town going as well. If you forget to bring your own water to Cerro Gordo, you have to drink the bottled water that is brought in, that costs money as well. No, Cerro Gordo is not free, but it's not all gone to the termites and the dust and the wind, either!

Originally posted by Louisa

: I'm writing a movie set in a ghosttown, too, but I need Speilberg...if anyone knows him...

: :-P

Originally posted by Jennifer

: Ha Ha Ha! yah! me too!

Thread Information