Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official CA Ghosttown Update...

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Official CA Ghosttown Update...

Originally posted by Dezdan

: Calico fans help scare off votes for ghost town
    : Legislation that would make Bodie official site dies in state Senate

: SACRAMENTO (AP)

: A bill to make Bodie the official state ghost town has died in the Senate after pressure from backers of a rival ghost town turned some lawmakers against it.

: The bill’s author, Assemblyman Tim Leslie, R-Tahoe City, said he plans to bring the measure up again when the Senate returns from summer recess in August.

: The measure, AB 1757, sought to single out Bodie, in remote Mono County, as California’s most authentic ghost town.

: But after fans of Calico complained, some legislators decided not to support the bill.

: Leslie said Calico, just off Interstate 15 near Barstow, is essentially a “snow-cone ghost town experience,” with mock gunfights, Wild West parades and other artificial attractions.

: Bodie, by contrast, has been preserved in a state of “arrested decay,” and gives visitors a more pure encounter with a ghost town, he said.

: Calico Ghost Town spokesman Don Tucker has characterized his facility as “a living ghost town” that attracts about 500,000 people a year, compared to about 125,000 visitors a year to Bodie.

: "You can go inside a silver mine at Calico. You can ride a narrow-gauge mining train at Calico," Tucker said.

: The two different ghost towns will appeal to two different kinds of visitors, Tucker said.

: "Bodie is desolate, deserted. Calico is more family-friendly," he said.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Official CA Ghosttown Update...

Originally posted by JustJim

: : Calico fans help scare off votes for ghost town
    : : Legislation that would make Bodie official site dies in state Senate

: : SACRAMENTO (AP)

: : A bill to make Bodie the official state ghost town has died in the Senate after pressure from backers of a rival ghost town turned some lawmakers against it.

: : The bill’s author, Assemblyman Tim Leslie, R-Tahoe City, said he plans to bring the measure up again when the Senate returns from summer recess in August.

: : The measure, AB 1757, sought to single out Bodie, in remote Mono County, as California’s most authentic ghost town.

: : But after fans of Calico complained, some legislators decided not to support the bill.

: : Leslie said Calico, just off Interstate 15 near Barstow, is essentially a “snow-cone ghost town experience,” with mock gunfights, Wild West parades and other artificial attractions.

: : Bodie, by contrast, has been preserved in a state of “arrested decay,” and gives visitors a more pure encounter with a ghost town, he said.

: : Calico Ghost Town spokesman Don Tucker has characterized his facility as “a living ghost town” that attracts about 500,000 people a year, compared to about 125,000 visitors a year to Bodie.

: : "You can go inside a silver mine at Calico. You can ride a narrow-gauge mining train at Calico," Tucker said.

: : The two different ghost towns will appeal to two different kinds of visitors, Tucker said.

: : "Bodie is desolate, deserted. Calico is more family-friendly," he said.

: : The two key words to look at here are "authentic" and "ghost". Calico is an O.K. place to visit, but if You want a real "ghost" town, Bodie is a great choice in California. To quote Lambert Florin, and the recent words of Shawn Hall, "A ghost town is a shadowy semblance of its former self." Bodie and many other desolate and deserted places in the state are just that. (I really don't want any more noteriety for Bodie than it already has. In my opinion the State has already done more than it should have to a lot of the structures.)
    : Calico is an old town, but a "authentic" ghost town, no. Calico reminds me of a place Clark Griswold would taken the kids in the movie "Vacation". Some sunscreen and a fistfull of travelers cheques and you're ready to barter with every pensive vender who's hoping to make it to next season. I'll admit I paid to go in the Mystery Shack and ride the railroad, but are they authentic?
    : Bodie is a real ghost town, there because J.S. Cain cared, and because it is in a deserted and desolate place. Calico is there because Walter Knott, and other people cared, about money. Calico is commercial, it does have its place in society, but not as California's most authentic ghost town. Calico might be best served if they drug it closer to I-15, or dropped it inside the log fencing of Frontierland, that way "everybody" could see the elephant.
    : Even Bodie is run by the State, which has its blatant nuances, admission fees, off limits, etc. In this day every extensive ghost town has some sort of interest behind it, hence ruining the term authentic. As an alternative to Calico, and Bodie, might I suggest Darwin, Ca. for the title of "Official State Ghost Town". No parking lots, no admission fees, no shops. Just an old mining town, and a "shadow of its former self".
    : : : Legislation that would make Bodie official site dies in state Senate

: : : SACRAMENTO (AP)

: : : A bill to make Bodie the official state ghost town has died in the Senate after pressure from backers of a rival ghost town turned some lawmakers against it.

: : : The bill’s author, Assemblyman Tim Leslie, R-Tahoe City, said he plans to bring the measure up again when the Senate returns from summer recess in August.

: : : The measure, AB 1757, sought to single out Bodie, in remote Mono County, as California’s most authentic ghost town.

: : : But after fans of Calico complained, some legislators decided not to support the bill.

: : : Leslie said Calico, just off Interstate 15 near Barstow, is essentially a “snow-cone ghost town experience,” with mock gunfights, Wild West parades and other artificial attractions.

: : : Bodie, by contrast, has been preserved in a state of “arrested decay,” and gives visitors a more pure encounter with a ghost town, he said.

: : : Calico Ghost Town spokesman Don Tucker has characterized his facility as “a living ghost town” that attracts about 500,000 people a year, compared to about 125,000 visitors a year to Bodie.

: : : "You can go inside a silver mine at Calico. You can ride a narrow-gauge mining train at Calico," Tucker said.

: : : The two different ghost towns will appeal to two different kinds of visitors, Tucker said.

: : : "Bodie is desolate, deserted. Calico is more family-friendly," he said.

: Well *most* of the folks that replied to the original thread below believed that no Ghosttown should be named the official GT of CA as it would only bring the eventual demise of the town. See the 25 post thread lower on board...

: ~Dezdan

: : Well *most* of the folks that replied to the original thread below believed that no Ghosttown should be named the official GT of CA as it would only bring the eventual demise of the town. See the 25 post thread lower on board...

: : ~Dezdan

: Please forgive my ignorance. I have got to learn how to use the scroll keys. I only learned of AB 1757 the other day, via the radio, and didn't know there was so much abuzz on the bulletin board. I had been out of town.
    : Of course it would be in best interest not to name an official ghost town, because that town would definitely suffer. I figured that in response I was voicing my opinion only to those who have the ghost town bug, and respect the places they visit. I didn't think the message was gonna cause traffic delays.
    : But who are we to keep our heritage and history from others because of fear? I saw my first ghost town at age 10 because someone wrote a book about it. I have been hooked ever since. I want to share that with people who have the same sense of appreciation. We cannot help the irresponsible actions of others (I missed out on seeing the Cosmopolitan in Belmont while it was still standing.), but it is not right to hide our historical resources from others. They have as much of right to see them as we do. All they have to do is find them.
    : California's ghost towns lag far behind compared to those in other states. Extensive ruins abound elsewhere because of the lack of people, ergo the lack of travel. I've learned a lot because people trusted me and shared with me, and I hope to be able to do the same for someone else in the future.
    : It is a double edged sword though. I'd like to have a ghost town all to myself, and keep everyone else out, but that is not right. I don't know how many times I've traveled for hours to some remote place, only to find it wiped out (Rawhide), or plastered with no trespassing signs (Elkhorn). That letdown sucks, and I don't wish it on anyone else. And ya, I still think Darwin is California's most authentic ghost town.
    :

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: As a life member to the "Friends of Bodie." I can breathe a sigh of relief. Too many times do non- ghosttowners and tacky tourists try to take things away from Bodie. I have had to rip people on several occasions for attempting to take square nails, etc, etc.

: As Just Jim said..."I want to share that with people who have the same sense of appreciation."

: The people whom take the time to research Bodie and make the trek will be more appreciaitve of what the find and more willing to leave it behind too see another day.

: The tour groups whom arrive at Calico in large buses and proceed to climb over everything would mean destruction in a town like Bodie.

: Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed my time at Calico. I tried my hardest to get as much history out of it. Our tour guide was bewildered by the depth of our questions and willingness to learn what Calico was about. She said the average Calico tourist could "give a ****."

: So both towns...keep doing what you do. You both have special characteristics and much to offer to varying degrees of ghost towners!!! I hope both are around for my kids and so on to see!!!

:

: : A bill to make Bodie the official state ghost town has died in the Senate after pressure from backers of a rival ghost town turned some lawmakers against it.

: : The bill’s author, Assemblyman Tim Leslie, R-Tahoe City, said he plans to bring the measure up again when the Senate returns from summer recess in August.

: : The measure, AB 1757, sought to single out Bodie, in remote Mono County, as California’s most authentic ghost town.

: : But after fans of Calico complained, some legislators decided not to support the bill.

: : Leslie said Calico, just off Interstate 15 near Barstow, is essentially a “snow-cone ghost town experience,” with mock gunfights, Wild West parades and other artificial attractions.

: : Bodie, by contrast, has been preserved in a state of “arrested decay,” and gives visitors a more pure encounter with a ghost town, he said.

: : Calico Ghost Town spokesman Don Tucker has characterized his facility as “a living ghost town” that attracts about 500,000 people a year, compared to about 125,000 visitors a year to Bodie.

: : "You can go inside a silver mine at Calico. You can ride a narrow-gauge mining train at Calico," Tucker said.

: : The two different ghost towns will appeal to two different kinds of visitors, Tucker said.

Originally posted by cecile

: In the Mammoth Times it states that the whole idea was started by a bunch of kids in Lee Vining to help the tourism industry, and designate special status to recognize Bodie's place in California History. Calico was worried that they would lose funding if Bodie got the title instead of them. I think the whole idea was a bunch of baloney, and am glad to hear it's all over with now! With more and more land closures threatening our roads that allow us to explore to many ghost towns, perhaps the children of Lee Vining and the politicians that tried to create an "official California ghost town", should put their energies towards keeping our lands open so we can still go out there!

:

Default Why do we need a state ghost town?

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: All of this brings up a question: why do we need a state ghost town? Seriously? Who decided this was a good idea and why? Money is usually the instigator but who would profit from Bodie becoming the official state ghost town?
    : Bodie is already a ZOO during the summer months anyway, making it more of a zoo isnt going to impact it that badly in my opinion. All the true ghost towners avoid that place like the plague anyway, so whats the fuss?

: : : Well *most* of the folks that replied to the original thread below believed that no Ghosttown should be named the official GT of CA as it would only bring the eventual demise of the town. See the 25 post thread lower on board...

: : : ~Dezdan

: : Please forgive my ignorance. I have got to learn how to use the scroll keys. I only learned of AB 1757 the other day, via the radio, and didn't know there was so much abuzz on the bulletin board. I had been out of town.
    : : Of course it would be in best interest not to name an official ghost town, because that town would definitely suffer. I figured that in response I was voicing my opinion only to those who have the ghost town bug, and respect the places they visit. I didn't think the message was gonna cause traffic delays.
    : : But who are we to keep our heritage and history from others because of fear? I saw my first ghost town at age 10 because someone wrote a book about it. I have been hooked ever since. I want to share that with people who have the same sense of appreciation. We cannot help the irresponsible actions of others (I missed out on seeing the Cosmopolitan in Belmont while it was still standing.), but it is not right to hide our historical resources from others. They have as much of right to see them as we do. All they have to do is find them.
    : : California's ghost towns lag far behind compared to those in other states. Extensive ruins abound elsewhere because of the lack of people, ergo the lack of travel. I've learned a lot because people trusted me and shared with me, and I hope to be able to do the same for someone else in the future.
    : : It is a double edged sword though. I'd like to have a ghost town all to myself, and keep everyone else out, but that is not right. I don't know how many times I've traveled for hours to some remote place, only to find it wiped out (Rawhide), or plastered with no trespassing signs (Elkhorn). That letdown sucks, and I don't wish it on anyone else. And ya, I still think Darwin is California's most authentic ghost town.
    : :

Default Mammoth Times Article; Calico vs. Bodie

: Dueling Ghost Towns - A California Bill to Determine "the" Ghostliest Town

: By Christina Reed
    : Times Staff Writer

: Two California ghost towns are engaged in a rivalry to determine "the" ghostliest town of the state, and both Bodie and Calico have staked spectral claims to fame and fortune. Separated by more than 300 miles, the two sites have attracted large numbers of visitors annually and existed in harmony for more than 100 years - until today. A recent bill (AB 1757), authored by Assemblyman Tim Leslie (R-Tahoe City) and Assemblyman David Cogdill (R-Modesto), seeks to designate Bodie "the" official state ghost town, and this singular title has the spirited Calico raising a ruckus.

: AB 1757 originated in the minds of a group of seventh and eighth graders in Janine Barbato's class, in Lee Vining, Calif. (about 30 miles from Bodie). The students studied the history of Bodie and used their writing skills to formulate a idea that would promote tourism in their region and designate special status for Bodie in California history.

: The bill has passed the California Assembly and is in its final stages of confirmation at the senate level. The special status would make Bodie "the" official ghost town of California, and the designation would acknowledge the importance that Bodie played in California's history. The legislative action would also commemorate the 120th anniversary of the decline of the town "from boomtown to ghost town," the bill stated.

: With no living constituents opposed to the legislative action by Leslie, intense lobbying has ensued by Calico enthusiasts and San Bernardino County's (where Calico is located) state Senator Jim Brulte. Calico, a more commercialized and accessible ghost-town experience, has amenities (restaurants, RV hookups and numerous shops) and activities (a Wild West parade, gold-panning lessons, and the National Gunfight Stunt Championships). Donated to San Bernardino County as a park in 1951, Calico boasts a half-million guests annually.

: Leslie said Calico offered "the shooting-gallery and snow-cone ghost town experience," but for true ghost-town haunts, "you've got to go to Bodie."

: Calico aficionados are defending their territory, and John Major, who operates a rock shop in Calico, stated, "[Bodie's] got some nice old buildings there, but Calico is much more authentic representation of a ghost town."

: Bodie, located in the Eastern Sierra off US Highway 395, is fortunate to have 131,000 visitors find their way to the historic mining town. The dusty drive to Bodie is an experience in itself, and the emptiness of the surrounding landscape is the only ambiance to be sold.

: Former Western Boomtowns

: The only status the two towns have in common is their ghost-town remnants of our Gold Rush past. Bodie sits in a windswept bowl in the sage-covered remoteness of Mono County. Calico is positioned in the middle of the Mojave Desert near Barstow and just off Interstate 15.

: Bodie, utterly abandoned, is in a state of "arrested decay," and admirers of the Old West can see the remains of Bodie's glory years. Propped-up. sagging buildings, with buckboard wagons nearby, create a mindset in guests - "[T]oday, Bodie stands just as time, fire and the elements have left it - a genuine California gold-mining ghost town" (language from the bill).

: Sitting in a valley at 8,375 feet, Bodie boasted a population of 10,000 in 1879, 65 saloons, a bawdy Main Street that stretched for one mile, a red-light district, and numerous businesses. The former gold mining town was at its glory between 1877 and 1882, and residents were still present in the 1930s. Notable for it wicked weather, miners, and women, the boomtown produced millions in silver and gold. Today, about 170 buildings (approximately 5% of the original town) remain in their eerie state of emptiness.

: Calico reached its fame with a silver strike in 1881 and at one time was owned by Walter Knott of Knott's Berry Farm. Knott bought the declining town in 1951 and worked to restore it before donating it to San Bernardino County for a park. More an amusement park than a real ghost town, Calico has only a handful of original buildings, and the park operators have spent time on interpretive programs and special events that are more interactive.

: What's All the Fuss About?

: Calico is worried that making Bodie "the" officially designated ghost town will outgun Calico for grants and special funding. The state's shrinking budget has made this designation a matter of fighting for representation, and Brulte said on the matter that he was not sure how to judge the value of Bodie versus Calico Ghost Town. However, since Calico has a sign saying Calico Ghost Town, Brulte said he decided to go with what his eyes could see.

: No problem Jim. I kinda figured you didn't see the original post at the time you posted.

: I think it would be in the states best interest to just drop the whole State Ghost Town thing. I mean how can you say one ghost town is better suited then another? It would be like asking every one chocolate or vanilla?

: Why settle for one when you can have both,
    : ~Dezdan

Thread Information