Thread: Define "Ghost"

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Define "Ghost"

Originally posted by Larry Gibson

: A great site, but one thing puzzles me. How can a town (city)of 3600 inhabitants be considered a ghost? I realize it may be a "ghost" of its former self, but it would be hard to get ghostly vibes from 3600 people. Not quibbling, just curious. Enjoying the site very much!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Define "Ghost"

Originally posted by cecile

: Don't know what the population of Darwin is - but it's ghostlier than the uninhabitated ghost towns! Randsburg is what I would consider a living ghost town. Not sure what town you are talking about - but if you could tell us, we could better define ghost for you. : A great site, but one thing puzzles me. How can a town (city)of 3600 inhabitants be considered a ghost? I realize it may be a "ghost" of its former self, but it would be hard to get ghostly vibes from 3600 people. Not quibbling, just curious. Enjoying the site very much!

Originally posted by Tom

: : A great site, but one thing puzzles me. How can a town (city)of 3600 inhabitants be considered a ghost? I realize it may be a "ghost" of its former self, but it would be hard to get ghostly vibes from 3600 people. Not quibbling, just curious. Enjoying the site very much!

: Larry,

: Ghost towns have three basic categories. The true ghost town is one that is completely deserted and in ruins then there's the semi-ghost which still has inhabitants living there. the third one is the tourist ghost town which is an occupied town that may contain a population such as you describe, but is historic; examples are Tombstone and Bisbee, Ariz.

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: I used to get upset when people would refer to Goldfield as a Ghost Town, its still the county seat and its where I license my cars but I to have lost that argument. Lambert Florin describes such ghosttowns as a shadowy semblence of its former self and Goldfield is no longer the largest city in Nevada, heck there's was less than about 1,600 people in the entire county last time I looked. I guess if you have lots of unoccupied "Ghostly" buildings you can make a case, I've given up fighting it!

:
    : Larry wrote: A great site, but one thing puzzles me. How can a town (city)of 3600 inhabitants be considered a ghost? I realize it may be a "ghost" of its former self, but it would be hard to get ghostly vibes from 3600 people. Not quibbling, just curious. Enjoying the site very much!

Default Roger quoted it best...

Originally posted by Dezdan

: Cecile!!!! I am surprised! I think Roger quotes the best GT description (I am quoting Roger quoting Philip): "Philip Varney, author of Southern California's Best Ghost Towns, defines a ghost town as "any site that has had a markedly decreased population from its peak, a town whose initial reason for settlement (such as a mine or railroad) no longer keeps people in the community."

: ~Dezdan

Originally posted by ghosttowns.com

: How about the official Ghosttowns.com definition of a ghost town - its been on our site since 1998 - its on the visiting page...

: JUST WHAT IS A GHOST TOWN?

: Some people think of a ghost town as being a "movie set" panorama with a full complement of vacant buildings complete with doors swinging in the wind and the howling of the breeze through holes in walls. Others think of a ghost town as being a town that is a shadow of its former past, but still alive with museums and shops and things to do pertaining to the old west in a true old west location. Still others think of a ghost town as being nothing but a few ruins and foundations in a far remote area accessible only by Four-Wheel drive on a good day. So, who is right? Everyone is right. A ghost town is any place where people once lived, or are still living, that is a shadow of its past glory. This includes everything from absolutely remote locations with very little remaining (sometimes called the "True Ghost&quot, to flourishing tourist towns such as Jerome, Az or even Calico, Ca. Ghosttowns.com contains all of the above types of ghost towns. So, whether you are looking for a "True Ghost" or a place to take your family for a visit to the old west, you can find it here at Ghosttowns.com.

:
    : : A great site, but one thing puzzles me. How can a town (city)of 3600 inhabitants be considered a ghost? I realize it may be a "ghost" of its former self, but it would be hard to get ghostly vibes from 3600 people. Not quibbling, just curious. Enjoying the site very much!

Thread Information