Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ghost Town of "Panamint"

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default The Ghost Town of "Panamint"

Originally posted by johnnie

: I Guess everybody is on vacation, This web-site been like the ghost towns we all read about, "Nobody Around" Ha! Ha!.

: Anyway I was looking over a ghost town book and photos of what "Is" left now at Panamint, And then I look at my photos of "panamint" that I took myself back in the early 1950s and sure wish I had taken more, but I am glad I did take some photos of what was left (then) so I was wondering if any of you other "Ghost Town" buffs, know where I could find any orig. photos of Panamint before 1950s, or did anyone care about ghost towns before 1950s to even take time to visit these "Neat" places in those days, other than Mr. Fasher of Pomona, California and I was luckie enough to have a few of his great photographs but looking for more orig. photos, so if any of you know where I could locate any more of the early photos of these old mining towns all over the west, please contact me.

: Thanks
    : Johnnie

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: The Ghost Town of "Panamint"

Originally posted by Dezdan

: Johnnie,

: I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Neill C. Wilson's book: Silver Stampede: Career of Death Valley's ****-Camp, Old Panamint (First published in 1937). His book has some old photos of Panamint City in it. I am not sure, but the more recent printing of the book MAY have more images, but I am still unsure of that. The book tells about the boom town with 700 men, 10 women and 4 inches of snow... Hehehehe, I love that Description!!! A boom town with 700 men, 10 women and 4 inches of snow...

: ~Dan

Default Fasher or Frashers?!?!?

: By chance are you talking about Frashers Foto and not Fashers? If you are, can you tell me if there are any serial marks, or any numbers on your Panamint Photos. I have been looking for old Panamint photos from Frashers Foto, but it is hard with out any sort of # or identifying characteristics.

: Thanks!

Default Re: The Ghost Town of " Panamint"

: : Johnnie,

: : I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Neill C. Wilson's book: Silver Stampede: Career of Death Valley's ****-Camp, Old Panamint (First published in 1937). His book has some old photos of Panamint City in it. I am not sure, but the more recent printing of the book MAY have more images, but I am still unsure of that. The book tells about the boom town with 700 men, 10 women and 4 inches of snow... Hehehehe, I love that Description!!! A boom town with 700 men, 10 women and 4 inches of snow...

: : ~Dan

: Thanks! for the follow up I have a local "old book" store just down the road from me in covina, they are helpfull in trying to locate special book requests for their customers.

: Thanks

Default Re: Fasher or Frashers?!?!?

: : By chance are you talking about Frashers Foto and not Fashers? If you are, can you tell me if there are any serial marks, or any numbers on your Panamint Photos. I have been looking for old Panamint photos from Frashers Foto, but it is hard with out any sort of # or identifying characteristics.

: : Thanks!

: : ~Dan

:
    : Thanks! For the correction my mistake it is Frashers Foto, sometimes when I get up early and check my e-mail, and this great web-site before I have my coffee, I do get in a hurry and get careless, I going to double check my posting, from now on. I sure don`t want to misled any of my fellow Ghost towners.

: And as far as #s or identifying marks,on these Frashers photos I can`t remember what is on them I have them all pack away and have not look at them for years, When I was looking at photos the other day I was looking at the one`s I took my self of Panamint back in the 1950s, But when I get some extra time I will get back with you on that information.

: thanks again

Default Silver Stampede

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: Johnnie,

: : : A quick check of the net reveals about 85 copies out there ranging in price of $4.00 for a later paperback to $150 for an mint o1937 original. You should be able to find an ex-library Hardback for around $20.00. It's well worth it!

: Yet Another Bob

Default Just a Note on Buying books....

: Buyer Beware of seller, "Browse Awhile Books" on ABE and other used book sites. I recently bought a book from him and when I received it, I found that it was lacking the 40 plates. The seller failed to note that the plates where missing and I forked out the $$$ thinking the plates where there (as I could bought just the book without the plates $25 cheaper) and the plates are a big part of the book. I contacted the seller, and he said he would refund my money. To this date, I have seen no refund, and the seller will not reply to any of my countless e-mail messages. Just thought I would let you all know cause he deals with ghost town and other similar books of interest...

: ~Dezdan

Default Thanks Bob!!!!

: Bob,

: Thanks for the AddAll Link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It saves me lots of time!! As before I would have to go to each one of the online stores and search. Now only if we can get them to search Bibliofind and Zshops!

Default Re: Silver Stampede

Originally posted by Johnnie

: : Johnnie,

: : : : A quick check of the net reveals about 85 copies out there ranging in price of $4.00 for a later paperback to $150 for an mint o1937 original. You should be able to find an ex-library Hardback for around $20.00. It's well worth it!

: : Yet Another Bob

:
    : Thanks! Bob for the reply I will check into that information that you gave me.

: Thanks again
    :

Default Re: Just a Note on Buying books....

: : Buyer Beware of seller, "Browse Awhile Books" on ABE and other used book sites. I recently bought a book from him and when I received it, I found that it was lacking the 40 plates. The seller failed to note that the plates where missing and I forked out the $$$ thinking the plates where there (as I could bought just the book without the plates $25 cheaper) and the plates are a big part of the book. I contacted the seller, and he said he would refund my money. To this date, I have seen no refund, and the seller will not reply to any of my countless e-mail messages. Just thought I would let you all know cause he deals with ghost town and other similar books of interest...

: : ~Dezdan

:
    : Great advise Dezdan, I know that most of us can all relate to some kind of experience as you described and taking someone`s word as "golden" I guess that don`t apply anymore.

Thread Information