Thread: St. Elmo, Colorado

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default St. Elmo, Colorado

Originally posted by Wayne Meddley

: I saw in our local paper a couple weeks back that there was a fire at St. Elmo and wondering how serious it was. Does anyone have information on this? I have been there several times and always enjoy it very mulch.... Thanks!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: St. Elmo, Colorado

Originally posted by Dezdan

: The only info I could find was via the Denver Post who stated: "...five of the 40 buildings burned to the ground. Among those, three were built in the 1880s. that 5 of the 40 buildings in the town had burn to the ground." This included the Town Hall which was slated for renovation, and had just won "...tens of thousands of dollars in grant money to restore it"... Very sad indeed!! This all took place about 4 months ago on April 17th.

: ~Dezdan

: : The only info I could find was via the Denver Post who stated: "...five of the 40 buildings burned to the ground. Among those, three were built in the 1880s. that 5 of the 40 buildings in the town had burn to the ground." This included the Town Hall which was slated for renovation, and had just won "...tens of thousands of dollars in grant money to restore it"... Very sad indeed!! This all took place about 4 months ago on April 17th.

: : ~Dezdan

:
    : Thanks! I hate to hear of the fire but I'm thankful it didn't burn more. Thanks again for the information.....
    : Wayne

Originally posted by JustJim

: : I saw in our local paper a couple weeks back that there was a fire at St. Elmo and wondering how serious it was. Does anyone have information on this? I have been there several times and always enjoy it very mulch.... Thanks!

: Wayne,
    : I was in St. Elmo on the same trip in which I visited Leadville, and yes there was a fire there. The fire occurred on the south side of the main drag, almost to the point in which You have to turn around. It appears as though four, or possibly five adjacent structures were destroyed. It was my first trip to St. Elmo, so I am uncertain to exactly what was lost.
    : Also, I received Your e-mail concerning the mine in Leadville. I am pretty certain we are not thinking of the same one. I do think I saw Your mine from a far. It seemed to have a small amount of activity, acessible from a paved road. My mine was more remote, on a bladed road. It was intact and fenced off, but looked as though it had been dormant for a number of years. So many mines,so little time...

: This sounds like the area where the old mill was. There was a fence around the working mill and was the end of the road. If you had stopped just a short distance from the working mill and looked down the mountain to your right I believe you would have seen the old mill. I have a very good picture of it although from afar but using a telephoto lens it looks much closer. Even the outhouse is in the picture along with several buildins including the railway water tank....

: : I saw in our local paper a couple weeks back that there was a fire at St. Elmo and wondering how serious it was. Does anyone have information on this? I have been there several times and always enjoy it very mulch.... Thanks!

: : Wayne,
    : : I was in St. Elmo on the same trip in which I visited Leadville, and yes there was a fire there. The fire occurred on the south side of the main drag, almost to the point in which You have to turn around. It appears as though four, or possibly five adjacent structures were destroyed. It was my first trip to St. Elmo, so I am uncertain to exactly what was lost.
    : : Also, I received Your e-mail concerning the mine in Leadville. I am pretty certain we are not thinking of the same one. I do think I saw Your mine from a far. It seemed to have a small amount of activity, acessible from a paved road. My mine was more remote, on a bladed road. It was intact and fenced off, but looked as though it had been dormant for a number of years. So many mines,so little time...

Thread Information