Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Apacheland

  1. #1
    Ghosttowns.com's Avatar
    Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Apacheland

    Originally posted by Christina

    : I happened to find Apacheland Movie Studios on Kings Ranch Road, off Hwy 60 in Gold Canyon, AZ. This place is fabulous. Its a former movie studio having filmed Paladin, Elvis Presley in CHarro, The Rifleman, Maverick, Clint Eastwood western films and a host of others. It is definitely worthwhile seeing. Original sets, a ghost town and a real western town. Lots going on there. Dont miss it!


  2. #2
    Ghosttowns.com's Avatar
    Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Re: Apacheland

    Originally posted by kathy

    : Christina... I'm interested in learning more about
    : Gold Canyon. Is all of it a tourist trap? Is
    : there are original buildings, etc there? Thanks
    : for an info that you probive.


  3. #3
    Ghosttowns.com's Avatar
    Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Re: Apacheland

    Originally posted by kathy

    : : Christina... I'm interested in learning more about
    : : Gold Canyon. Is all of it a tourist trap? Are
    : : there are original buildings, etc there? Thanks
    : : for an info that you probive.



  4. #4
    Ghosttowns.com's Avatar
    Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    6,604

    Default Re: Apacheland

    Originally posted by Christina

    : : Christina... I'm interested in learning more about
    : : Gold Canyon. Is all of it a tourist trap? Is
    : : there are original buildings, etc there? Thanks
    : : for an info that you probive.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Alameda, CA.
    Posts
    5

    Default Apacheland, Status of

    Greetings From The Man In Black ! I came across a site which deals with movie locations. A search for apacheland showed that the property had suffered a fire and was nearly destroyed. It had suffered a fire years ago and rebuilt the area, but this fire has pretty much knocked the life out of the old place. It's a shame because of the movie history there. They have moved a few of the remaining buildings, But I think it's now closed to the public.

  6. #6
    Johnnie's Avatar
    Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    599

    Question Apacheland Arizona

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com
    Originally posted by Christina

    : I happened to find Apacheland Movie Studios on Kings Ranch Road, off Hwy 60 in Gold Canyon, AZ. This place is fabulous. Its a former movie studio having filmed Paladin, Elvis Presley in CHarro, The Rifleman, Maverick, Clint Eastwood western films and a host of others. It is definitely worthwhile seeing. Original sets, a ghost town and a real western town. Lots going on there. Dont miss it!
    Didn't John Wyane have some of his movies filmed there also???

    J & S
    Last edited by Johnnie; 03-05-2006 at 05:50 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southeast Arizona
    Posts
    418

    Default Apacheland Church

    If anybody is interested , the church/chapel that used to be in Apacheland, is being reconstructed at the Superstition Mountain Museum on Hwy. 88 (Apache Trail) and from what I understand, some of the historical items that survived the fire at Apacheland are going to be placed in the museum. The chapel was used in quite a few westerns, including John Wayne and Elvis movies. I know it's not the "original", but I'm glad to see somebody takes a little interest in this stuff. If anybody gets out this way, you ought to stop at the museum, as it's well worth your time............

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gold Canyon, Arizona
    Posts
    5

    Default Apacheland Facts

    Apacheland was originally built as a theme park 1960 by Walt Disney designer Nat Winecoff who also designed Disneyland in what is now known as Gold Canyon, Arizona at the base of the Superstition Mountains. When the funding for the theme park fell through, investors turned the the main part of the park, which was the western town, into a movie studio set. Sad to say, John Wayne never filmed a movie at Apacheland. It was strictly for "B" Westerns and TV Westerns but many other actors before they became big stars got their start at Apacheland Studio such as, Steve McQueen, Jack Nickelson and Richard Boone. Big stars such as Jason Robards, Stella Stevens, and Elvis also filmed at Apacheland.

    Right now we are in the process of rebuilding the entire town as it looked when first constructed in 1960. It will be located on a 10 acre section of the old 1,800 acre movie set and should be ready for the public by end of year 2006. We will have an Apacheland Museum displaying the complete history of the western town to seperate the truth from the fables. Enjoy!

    Philip Rauso, Jr.
    Apacheland Studio
    Historian/Curator
    www.ApachelandMuseum.org
    Last edited by Apacheland Studio; 04-06-2006 at 09:40 PM.

  9. #9
    Johnnie's Avatar
    Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    599

    Thumbs up Arizona Landmark

    Quote Originally Posted by Apacheland Studio View Post
    Apacheland was originally built as a theme park 1960 by Walt Disney designer Nat Winecoff who also designed Disneyland in what is now known as Gold Canyon, Arizona at the base of the Superstition Mountains. When the funding for the theme park fell through, investors turned the the main part of the park, which was the western town, into a movie studio set. Sad to say, John Wayne never filmed a movie at Apacheland. It was strictly for "B" Westerns and TV Westerns but many other actors before they became big stars got their start at Apacheland Studio such as, Steve McQueen, Jack Nickelson and Richard Boone. Big stars such as Jason Robards, Stella Stevens, and Elvis also filmed at Apacheland.

    Right now we are in the process of rebuilding the entire town as it looked when first constructed in 1960. It will be located on a 10 acre section of the old 1,800 acre movie set and should be ready for the public by end of year 2006. We will have an Apacheland Museum displaying the complete history of the western town to seperate the truth from the fables. Enjoy!

    Philip Rauso, Jr.
    Apacheland Studio
    Historian/Curator
    www.ApachelandMuseum.org
    Philip, how is your project coming? Please let us know so if any of us are in the area we can stop by and say hello.

    Johnnie & Sheila

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I first started going to Apacheland back in 1972. Back then they told us that John Wayne had filmed there and they had what they said were his footprints in cement on display.

    By 1974 my sister was dating one of the gunfighters out there and we went more often.

    By 1976 I was dating a gunfighter there and we hung there all the time. I used to help with the music in some of the shows.

    After they'd close at night, we'd all hang out in the saloon and listen to Hans Olson play.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. To Cathy re Apacheland
    By Ghosttowns.com in forum Land Types, Land Usages and Access Privileges
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2002, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •