Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canyon Diablo, Az

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Canyon Diablo, Az

Originally posted by Lucille B. Cruz

: Grew up at the trading post in Canyon Diablo, Az. and was amazed to find it listed.
    : It does have quite a history. I remeber one story about how some cowboys robbed the bank or train in Winslow, Az.
    : 35 miles east of the Canyon. They were arrested, or rather shot down by a posse at the Canyon. One of the robbers was shot and killed there
    : he was buried at the cemetry that is still there, or should be if it hasn't been destroyed. Anyway, a few weeks later some of his companions decided
    : they should have one last drink with him, and they did! They dug him up and took pictures of themselves having a drink with the departed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Originally posted by Lucille B. Cruz

: Grew up at the trading post in Canyon Diablo, Az. and was amazed to find it listed.
    : It does have quite a history. I remeber one story about how some cowboys robbed the bank or train in Winslow, Az.
    : 35 miles east of the Canyon. They were arrested, or rather shot down by a posse at the Canyon. One of the robbers was shot and killed there
    : he was buried at the cemetry that is still there, or should be if it hasn't been destroyed. Anyway, a few weeks later some of his companions decided
    : they should have one last drink with him, and they did! They dug him up and took pictures of themselves having a drink with the departed!
    I also lived at Canyon Diablo Trading Post. It was around 1963 or 1964, when I was in 2nd grade, in Winslow. I have access to John Shaws grave marker ( J.S.)

That would be really neat to see if either of you had photos from there from your childhood!

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I think the first poster is long gone after 13 years.

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    I think the first poster is long gone after 13 years.

Heh heh heh. Good to "see" ya agin', Brian.

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I've been keeping a low profile, but I have been vigilantly monitoring you miscreants. Some day, God willing, I'll be back in the desert again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

bad bob is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I've been keeping a low profile, but I have been vigilantly monitoring you miscreants. Some day, God willing, I'll be back in the desert again.
    Other than finances, I see no reason to limit yourself to the desert, ya sand crab. Yer welcome over here anytime, and SR49 (the old stagecoach trail) has much to see, more interesting, and much cooler, regardless of all the shutterbugs "milling" around.

A long weekend loop, from B'field, up 49, then over to Carson & Virginia City, NV, down to Bodie, and return thru Yosemite NP is well worth the effort (IMO). Even faster if ya skip Yosemite.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    Other than finances, I see no reason to limit yourself to the desert, ya sand crab. Yer welcome over here anytime, and SR49 (the old stagecoach trail) has much to see, more interesting, and much cooler, regardless of all the shutterbugs "milling" around.

A long weekend loop, from B'field, up 49, then over to Carson & Virginia City, NV, down to Bodie, and return thru Yosemite NP is well worth the effort (IMO). Even faster if ya skip Yosemite.
    To be honest (please correct me if I err) I've been to all the "easy" ghost towns in and around Tucson multiple times, been to the "moderate" ones several times, and no longer have enough of a hard core 4x4 to attempt the "difficult" ones. I'm not really into long hikes to the places I can't get my truck, and there have been too many times that I've risked getting stuck, all alone, 50 years old, and overweight.

So I have resolved to explore vicariously through younger and better smelling GT hunters.
    I keep checking in from time to time, hoping to see a post of one of the so-called "secret" ghost towns that are rumored to still exist.

Brian

"I see no reason to limit yourself to the desert, ya sand crab. Yer welcome over here anytime,"

I appreciate the thought, but I'm currently unemployed, and gas is a killer, as you know!
    Last edited by brian10x; 06-25-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Do you really think anyone reads this? Is anyone actually CONCERNED as to the reason I'm editing? I could put anything here.

To be honest (please correct me if I err) I've been to all the "easy" ghost towns in and around Tucson multiple times, been to the "moderate" ones several times, and no longer have enough of a hard core 4x4 to attempt the "difficult" ones. I'm not really into long hikes to the places I can't get my truck, and there have been too many times that I've risked getting stuck, all alone, 50 years old, and overweight.

So I have resolved to explore vicariously through younger and better smelling GT hunters.
    I keep checking in from time to time, hoping to see a post of one of the so-called "secret" ghost towns that are rumored to still exist.

Brian

"I see no reason to limit yourself to the desert, ya sand crab. Yer welcome over here anytime,"

I appreciate the thought, but I'm currently unemployed, and gas is a killer, as you know!

I'm only part-time employed over here, but I'd pick ya up at the local Greyhound depot, and we can take my Tahoe up 49. It gets great mileage even with the AC running all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bad bob View Post
    I'm only part-time employed over here, but I'd pick ya up at the local Greyhound depot, and we can take my Tahoe up 49. It gets great mileage even with the AC running all the time.
    Very tempting my friend. Maybe some day soon. I'm still at the stage where I'm looking up Chihuahua recipes on the internet.

Dang that critter is looking better every day!

BS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information