Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official CA ghost town?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Official CA ghost town?

Originally posted by John Collins

: Check out the article at the following link. I'm interested in the thoughts of tried-and-true ghost towners--although I think I know your opinions already.

: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=6&u=/nm/20020621/od_nm/ghosttown_dc_1

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Official CA ghost town?

Originally posted by cecile

: In my book Calico may have been a ghost town at one time, but it's an amusement park now. I'm also not sure how I feel about an official "state ghost town"- whether that would be a good thing or a bad thing. That's all Bodie needs is more tourists! I liked it better before the rest of the world found out about it.

Originally posted by Dezdan

: Let's see, we have a State Animal (California grizzly bear), we have a State Bird (California quail), we have a State Fish (golden trout), we have a State Flower (poppy), we have a State insect (California dogface butterfly). You name it California has it: State Animal, State Bird, State Color, State Dance, State Fife and Drum Corps, State Fish, State Flag, State Flower, State Folk Dance, State Fossil, State Gemstone, State Insect, State Marine Fish, State Marine Mammal, State Mineral, State Motto, State Nickname, State Poet Laureate, State Prehistoric Artifact, State Reptile, State Rock, State Seal, State Soil, State Song, State Theater, and of course a State Tree.

: It is great that as Californians we have all of this to take pride in, but don't you think this is enough? I mean why don't we just have a State Vehicle? (My vote is for a YJ or a CJ) Or how about a State Coffee Shop? Some things were just not meant to be made into a State item. What do you get when you become a State item? Increased traffic/tourism and a sign. Last time I checked Bodie had enough of that already, and I don't think she could handle anymore. There are plenty of other ghost towns, some with buildings some just ruble, in which I believe rank above Bodie in my history book. How about some of the sites in Northern/Central California where the Gold Rush started; a gold rush which helped form this state and create the towns and cities we live in today.

: Final Thought; I think that a State Ghost Town is a terrible idea and it would just bring increased traffic and the eventual 'amusement park' status to whatever site is selected. We are trying to preserve ghost towns not destroy them as creating a State Ghost Town would do...

: ~Dezdan

: FYI- Cecile and Others, the State is once again hosting the "California Snapshot Photo Contest celebrating California's rich cultural and geographic diversity". Check it out and submit you Ghosttown photos: http://www.ca.gov/state/portal/myca_htmldisplay.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0048209877.1 024762369@@@@&BV_EngineID=eadcegifhgmdbemgcfkmchch i.0&sCatTitle=Photo+Contest+Rules&iPicOID=32261&sF ilePath=/portal/links/pc_rules.html&sObsContentType=LINK

: Dezdan, I agree with you completely!!! That's why we should all make sure that Calico is the official state ghost town - it's all ready been turned into an amusement park! Meantime... regarding state coffee shop ... Roger and I are sitting here up at Mammoth Creek Condos, and we seriously decided that the state coffee shop should be Dennys!!!! What do you think?

: Thanks for the link on the photo contest - we may submit something!

: Yea, I totally think that the State Ghost Town should be Calico just to keep other possible ghost town candidates from being trampled by hordes of visitors. Bodie already sees enough traffic as it is, and if it is selected as the State Ghost Town I am sure that the traffic flow of visitors will increase to a point where the state will need more guides and rangers, then you will start to see prices increase.

: As for State Coffee Shop, I 100% agree on Dennys!! They are always open, and they are just about anywhere in the state. Not to mention that they will just about allow anyone to come in as I have walked into Dennys on more then one occasion with more dirt/dust on me then on a wild Elephant. I am talking to the point that when I wash up I stain their sink brown!!! Besides there is nothing like getting a good breakfast (24/7) after a hard day of exploring!

: BTW- I have been trying to figure this one out, maybe you can help me. California has both a State Mineral and a State Rock. I always thought that a rock was a mineral?!?!?!?

Originally posted by Cat and Ripley

: I agree with Cecile that the state ghost town should be Calico! But come Dan, a YJ as the state vehicle? REAL jeeps have round headlights! :-) Your buddy Mike is a rare exception! <BG>
    : Are you entering the photo contest again this year? What photo did you submit?

: ~Cat

:
    : : Let's see, we have a State Animal (California grizzly bear), we have a State Bird (California quail), we have a State Fish (golden trout), we have a State Flower (poppy), we have a State insect (California dogface butterfly). You name it California has it: State Animal, State Bird, State Color, State Dance, State Fife and Drum Corps, State Fish, State Flag, State Flower, State Folk Dance, State Fossil, State Gemstone, State Insect, State Marine Fish, State Marine Mammal, State Mineral, State Motto, State Nickname, State Poet Laureate, State Prehistoric Artifact, State Reptile, State Rock, State Seal, State Soil, State Song, State Theater, and of course a State Tree.

: : It is great that as Californians we have all of this to take pride in, but don't you think this is enough? I mean why don't we just have a State Vehicle? (My vote is for a YJ or a CJ) Or how about a State Coffee Shop? Some things were just not meant to be made into a State item. What do you get when you become a State item? Increased traffic/tourism and a sign. Last time I checked Bodie had enough of that already, and I don't think she could handle anymore. There are plenty of other ghost towns, some with buildings some just ruble, in which I believe rank above Bodie in my history book. How about some of the sites in Northern/Central California where the Gold Rush started; a gold rush which helped form this state and create the towns and cities we live in today.

: : Final Thought; I think that a State Ghost Town is a terrible idea and it would just bring increased traffic and the eventual 'amusement park' status to whatever site is selected. We are trying to preserve ghost towns not destroy them as creating a State Ghost Town would do...

: : ~Dezdan

: : FYI- Cecile and Others, the State is once again hosting the "California Snapshot Photo Contest celebrating California's rich cultural and geographic diversity". Check it out and submit you Ghosttown photos: http://www.ca.gov/state/portal/myca_htmldisplay.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0048209877.1 024762369@@@@&BV_EngineID=eadcegifhgmdbemgcfkmchch i.0&sCatTitle=Photo+Contest+Rules&iPicOID=32261&sF ilePath=/portal/links/pc_rules.html&sObsContentType=LINK

Default Here's your answer on rocks and minerals, Dezdan

Originally posted by Cecile

: Ok, Roger is the family geologist here. A rock is a mixture of many minerals chemical compounds. A mineral is a pure chemical compound. All minerals are rocks, but all rocks are not minerals. : Yea, I totally think that the State Ghost Town should be Calico just to keep other possible ghost town candidates from being trampled by hordes of visitors. Bodie already sees enough traffic as it is, and if it is selected as the State Ghost Town I am sure that the traffic flow of visitors will increase to a point where the state will need more guides and rangers, then you will start to see prices increase.

: : As for State Coffee Shop, I 100% agree on Dennys!! They are always open, and they are just about anywhere in the state. Not to mention that they will just about allow anyone to come in as I have walked into Dennys on more then one occasion with more dirt/dust on me then on a wild Elephant. I am talking to the point that when I wash up I stain their sink brown!!! Besides there is nothing like getting a good breakfast (24/7) after a hard day of exploring!

: : ~Dezdan

: : BTW- I have been trying to figure this one out, maybe you can help me. California has both a State Mineral and a State Rock. I always thought that a rock was a mineral?!?!?!?

Default Try again on rocks & minerals

: A rock is a mixture of minerals or chemicals. A mineral is a pure chemical substance. : Ok, Roger is the family geologist here. A rock is a mixture of many minerals chemical compounds. A mineral is a pure chemical compound. All minerals are rocks, but all rocks are not minerals. : Yea, I totally think that the State Ghost Town should be Calico just to keep other possible ghost town candidates from being trampled by hordes of visitors. Bodie already sees enough traffic as it is, and if it is selected as the State Ghost Town I am sure that the traffic flow of visitors will increase to a point where the state will need more guides and rangers, then you will start to see prices increase.

: : : As for State Coffee Shop, I 100% agree on Dennys!! They are always open, and they are just about anywhere in the state. Not to mention that they will just about allow anyone to come in as I have walked into Dennys on more then one occasion with more dirt/dust on me then on a wild Elephant. I am talking to the point that when I wash up I stain their sink brown!!! Besides there is nothing like getting a good breakfast (24/7) after a hard day of exploring!

: : : ~Dezdan

: : : BTW- I have been trying to figure this one out, maybe you can help me. California has both a State Mineral and a State Rock. I always thought that a rock was a mineral?!?!?!?

Default Re: Try again on rocks & minerals

: Cecile,

: I just read up a bit on it after reading your post I can now tell the difference. *Dezdan understand now* However, I still think rocks and minerals are all the same thing ;-)

: Thanks,
    : Dezdan

: FYI- Those little pocket mineral books are the handiest little things! It had all the info on the first couple of pages...

: Ok maybe not a YJ, what about a TJ??? "REAL jeeps have round headlights" Eh? Hmmm...Will have to think on that... ;-)

: "Are you entering the photo contest again this year?" This is a different photo contest then the one I think you are thinking of. I haven't submitted anything yet, but if I do submit a photo, I will post it for you all to view...

Thread Information