Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mine Exploring

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Mine Exploring

Originally posted by ghoster

: Recently been out exploring some fun mines and wanted to know if anyone out there enjoys the subterrianian stuff as much as the above ground ghosts?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Mine Exploring

Originally posted by jeff

: : Recently been out exploring some fun mines and wanted to know if anyone out there enjoys the subterrianian stuff as much as the above ground ghosts?

: oh ya i go to panamint valley all the time love the town of lookout camp out their as much as i can

: Lookout camp - I know where its at but havnt as yet been out that way. Some good mines out there?

: : : Recently been out exploring some fun mines and wanted to know if anyone out there enjoys the subterrianian stuff as much as the above ground ghosts?

: : oh ya i go to panamint valley all the time love the town of lookout camp out their as much as i can

: ::hey ghoster we will have to get together after the first of the year. we go up their with our quads if you go to (desertdrifter.com) they just took a ore cart out of the modoc mine that was a 123 years old great read.if we meet i can take you in some realy good mines out their.i have been riding qauds all over that area for a long time. look forward to meeting you out their soonsounds like we would have fun.

: Lookout camp - I know where its at but havnt as yet been out that way. Some good mines out there?

: : : : Recently been out exploring some fun mines and wanted to know if anyone out there enjoys the subterrianian stuff as much as the above ground ghosts?

: : : oh ya i go to panamint valley all the time love the town of lookout camp out their as much as i can

Originally posted by Steve O

: : Recently been out exploring some fun mines and wanted to know if anyone out there enjoys the subterrianian stuff as much as the above ground ghosts?

: What would be fun wpould be tom organize a small group of serious mine explorers for next summer, Eastern California or Western Nevada. We explored 5 mines on the GT Rally 2002, great fun.

: sounds great to me steve we all have to get together but saftey first i bring mask extra lights first aid kit it is fun but you have to becareful. so lets set up a date for lookout here is my e-mail (macjeff@pacbell.net)

: life is to short to just sit at home i like to see our history and see how they lived and worked and yes i will agree that it is not that safe but driving your car is worse so i take life by the horns and run and have fun to.

Originally posted by Tyler

:
    : Has anyone explored around Yerington? There are some big 'ol copper mines out there. My favorite has 8m of tunnel on 4 different levels connected by a 400ft winze(verticle) with a ladder going all the way down. Pretty intense climb! I also recently explored Metallic City. Great mines out there. 45 degree stopes hundreds of feet high as well as deep. Lots of old relics laying around and the conditions of the mines were excellent. The rock wasn't very decomposed or fractured. I also found a Pepsi can that says " Jacksons World Tour 1984" and has the Olympic torch and the Jackson 5 signatures on it. Now I'm no MJ fan or anything but I thought that was kinda cool. I'm glad to hear that there other stope cats out there and would love to hear of more places and adventures!

: Has anyone explored around Yerington? There are some big 'ol copper mines out there. My favorite has 8m of tunnel on 4 different levels connected by a 400ft winze(verticle) with a ladder going all the way down. Pretty intense climb! I also recently explored Metallic City. Great mines out there. 45 degree stopes hundreds of feet high as well as deep. Lots of old relics laying around and the conditions of the mines were excellent. The rock wasn't very decomposed or fractured. I also found a Pepsi can that says " Jacksons World Tour 1984" and has the Olympic torch and the Jackson 5 signatures on it. Now I'm no MJ fan or anything but I thought that was kinda cool. I'm glad to hear that there other stope cats out there and would love to hear of more places and adventures!

: Tyler - I have also been in that mine with the Pepsi can, I thought it was pretty cool too! I'm not familiar with the mines near Yerington that you mentioned. How were the conditions of the ladders you went down?

Originally posted by Tyler

: : Has anyone explored around Yerington? There are some big 'ol copper mines out there. My favorite has 8m of tunnel on 4 different levels connected by a 400ft winze(verticle) with a ladder going all the way down. Pretty intense climb! I also recently explored Metallic City. Great mines out there. 45 degree stopes hundreds of feet high as well as deep. Lots of old relics laying around and the conditions of the mines were excellent. The rock wasn't very decomposed or fractured. I also found a Pepsi can that says " Jacksons World Tour 1984" and has the Olympic torch and the Jackson 5 signatures on it. Now I'm no MJ fan or anything but I thought that was kinda cool. I'm glad to hear that there other stope cats out there and would love to hear of more places and adventures!

: : Tyler - I have also been in that mine with the Pepsi can, I thought it was pretty cool too! I'm not familiar with the mines near Yerington that you mentioned. How were the conditions of the ladders you went down?

: Hey Ghoster,
    : That mine out in Yerington is in very good shape. The entrance has been back-filled so you have to crawl in, but not caved in. The winze is about 1500 ft back inside the mine. It opens up into a fairly large room that looks like the inside of a barn. There is a ladder going down the shaft alongside the elevator compartment. The whole shaft is covered in square set timbering and lagged the whole way down. The ladder is made of wood and each ladder is about ten feet long and rests on planks crossing the shaft. So one on one side, one on the other, alternating down the shaft. It is pretty scary going down and would not reccomend it. Some of the timbers have been damaged by people dropping things down it. The air gets very warm and is almost stifling down in the lower levels. The cool thing about the mine is the size of the ore bodies that they were extracting. Those are visible on the first level. The mine is on the Yerington quadrilangle USGS 15 min. topo map. The name of the mine is the Western Nevada Mine.

: Be careful and good luck!

Thread Information