Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mine Exploring

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Mine Exploring

Originally posted by Tyler

: : : Has anyone explored around Yerington? There are some big 'ol copper mines out there. My favorite has 8m of tunnel on 4 different levels connected by a 400ft winze(verticle) with a ladder going all the way down. Pretty intense climb! I also recently explored Metallic City. Great mines out there. 45 degree stopes hundreds of feet high as well as deep. Lots of old relics laying around and the conditions of the mines were excellent. The rock wasn't very decomposed or fractured. I also found a Pepsi can that says " Jacksons World Tour 1984" and has the Olympic torch and the Jackson 5 signatures on it. Now I'm no MJ fan or anything but I thought that was kinda cool. I'm glad to hear that there other stope cats out there and would love to hear of more places and adventures!

: : : Tyler - I have also been in that mine with the Pepsi can, I thought it was pretty cool too! I'm not familiar with the mines near Yerington that you mentioned. How were the conditions of the ladders you went down?

: : Hey Ghoster,
    : : That mine out in Yerington is in very good shape. The entrance has been back-filled so you have to crawl in, but not caved in. The winze is about 1500 ft back inside the mine. It opens up into a fairly large room that looks like the inside of a barn. There is a ladder going down the shaft alongside the elevator compartment. The whole shaft is covered in square set timbering and lagged the whole way down. The ladder is made of wood and each ladder is about ten feet long and rests on planks crossing the shaft. So one on one side, one on the other, alternating down the shaft. It is pretty scary going down and would not reccomend it. Some of the timbers have been damaged by people dropping things down it. The air gets very warm and is almost stifling down in the lower levels. The cool thing about the mine is the size of the ore bodies that they were extracting. Those are visible on the first level. The mine is on the Yerington quadrilangle USGS 15 min. topo map. The name of the mine is the Western Nevada Mine.

: : Be careful and good luck!

: Ghoster- By the way, did you make it down any of the stopes in the Metallic City mine? That mine is in real good shape and I wanted to explore further but I was with a more inexperienced person and didn't want to take more risks than I had to or endanger them. The stopes looked accessable enough. Also, have you ever been around Rochester/Lincoln Hill area? What town or area do you live in? Tyler.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Originally posted by ghoster

: Tyler,
    : I personally did not go down or any of the stopes, raises or winzes in that mine, although several in my party did. They seemed to think they were very stable.
    : I have not explored the Rochester/Lincoln Hill area, although I have been checking that area out on the maps.
    : I live in western central Nevada. You?

:
    : : Ghoster- By the way, did you make it down any of the stopes in the Metallic City mine? That mine is in real good shape and I wanted to explore further but I was with a more inexperienced person and didn't want to take more risks than I had to or endanger them. The stopes looked accessable enough. Also, have you ever been around Rochester/Lincoln Hill area? What town or area do you live in? Tyler.

Originally posted by Tyler

: : Tyler,
    : : I personally did not go down or any of the stopes, raises or winzes in that mine, although several in my party did. They seemed to think they were very stable.
    : : I have not explored the Rochester/Lincoln Hill area, although I have been checking that area out on the maps.
    : : I live in western central Nevada. You?

: :
    : : : Ghoster- By the way, did you make it down any of the stopes in the Metallic City mine? That mine is in real good shape and I wanted to explore further but I was with a more inexperienced person and didn't want to take more risks than I had to or endanger them. The stopes looked accessable enough. Also, have you ever been around Rochester/Lincoln Hill area? What town or area do you live in? Tyler.

: Hi Ghoster,
    : I grew up in Gardnerville from the age of 10, started mine exploring up in the Pinenut Range and Alpine County,CA mines at the age of twelve, lived in Fallon for a while, but now live in Seattle. And unfortionatly there is not a lot to explore up here. Southern Oregon has some very cool mines as well as eastern Oregon. I plan on checking out Sumpter, Greenhorn, and the surrounding districts. The Nevada mines are my favorites though, you generally don't need to wear rubber boots and a slicker in them!

Thread Information