Thread: Winter Ghosttown Trip

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Winter Ghosttown Trip

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: Texas Jess and I had originally planned to head to New Mexico, but due to work schedules, only a short trip could be taken.

: Wednesday at around noon Texas Jess and I left the Napa Valley and headed up to Nevada County. We stopped in Nevada City and checked into the National hotel, which by some claims is the oldest coninuously operating hotel in California.

: Nevada City had a certain charm, but was far from a ghost. It is probably the most active ghost town we've been too. It had a Calistoga-St.Helena-Sausalito-like feel to it, which was much aided by the Christmas Fair on Broad Street. There were several keen structures still standing and the pioneer cemetery was well worth the visit. We had a few Guiness at a couple local watering holes before dining at the National Hotel and retiring for the evening.

: Thursday we said bye to Nevada City and went to Grass Valley. We had breakfast at the Old Town Cafe, which is purportedly the oldest continuously run diner in Grass Valley. We checked out the Lola Montez house, Lotta Crabtree's home and visited the St. Patrick's Cemetery, which like Nevada City's Cemetery made the trip worthwhile. Before leaving we had Cornish Pasties from Marshall's Pasty Shop and then we headed out.

: Rain began to fall, so we did our best to see all we set out to do. We saw Rough and Ready and made an attemt to see Deadwood, which is past Forest Hill. It was snowing well in that area and the road was closed off so we had to head back.

: We made a trip to Ophir, passed through Auburn and then went to Coloma. It was raining hard in Coloma and the sun had since set, so we didn't get to see as much as we'd liked. We headed home around 5:00 and made it to my home around 7:30.

: It was definitely a short hop, but it was nice to get away from the Baya Area and breathe the fresh pine tree air!!! We'll see was Memorial Day has in store!!!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Winter Ghosttown Trip

Originally posted by Cecile

: Sounds like a great rip, Coach Bodie. Haven't been that way in years! Did you get a chance to go to the Empire State Mine? That's one of my favorites!

:
    : : Texas Jess and I had originally planned to head to New Mexico, but due to work schedules, only a short trip could be taken.

: : Wednesday at around noon Texas Jess and I left the Napa Valley and headed up to Nevada County. We stopped in Nevada City and checked into the National hotel, which by some claims is the oldest coninuously operating hotel in California.

: : Nevada City had a certain charm, but was far from a ghost. It is probably the most active ghost town we've been too. It had a Calistoga-St.Helena-Sausalito-like feel to it, which was much aided by the Christmas Fair on Broad Street. There were several keen structures still standing and the pioneer cemetery was well worth the visit. We had a few Guiness at a couple local watering holes before dining at the National Hotel and retiring for the evening.

: : Thursday we said bye to Nevada City and went to Grass Valley. We had breakfast at the Old Town Cafe, which is purportedly the oldest continuously run diner in Grass Valley. We checked out the Lola Montez house, Lotta Crabtree's home and visited the St. Patrick's Cemetery, which like Nevada City's Cemetery made the trip worthwhile. Before leaving we had Cornish Pasties from Marshall's Pasty Shop and then we headed out.

: : Rain began to fall, so we did our best to see all we set out to do. We saw Rough and Ready and made an attemt to see Deadwood, which is past Forest Hill. It was snowing well in that area and the road was closed off so we had to head back.

: : We made a trip to Ophir, passed through Auburn and then went to Coloma. It was raining hard in Coloma and the sun had since set, so we didn't get to see as much as we'd liked. We headed home around 5:00 and made it to my home around 7:30.

: : It was definitely a short hop, but it was nice to get away from the Baya Area and breathe the fresh pine tree air!!! We'll see was Memorial Day has in store!!!

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: We saw the Empire Buildings from the exeterior, but were pressed for time as always and headed on to Deadwood and later Coloma!!!

: : Sounds like a great rip, Coach Bodie. Haven't been that way in years! Did you get a chance to go to the Empire State Mine? That's one of my favorites!

: :
    : : : Texas Jess and I had originally planned to head to New Mexico, but due to work schedules, only a short trip could be taken.

: : : Wednesday at around noon Texas Jess and I left the Napa Valley and headed up to Nevada County. We stopped in Nevada City and checked into the National hotel, which by some claims is the oldest coninuously operating hotel in California.

: : : Nevada City had a certain charm, but was far from a ghost. It is probably the most active ghost town we've been too. It had a Calistoga-St.Helena-Sausalito-like feel to it, which was much aided by the Christmas Fair on Broad Street. There were several keen structures still standing and the pioneer cemetery was well worth the visit. We had a few Guiness at a couple local watering holes before dining at the National Hotel and retiring for the evening.

: : : Thursday we said bye to Nevada City and went to Grass Valley. We had breakfast at the Old Town Cafe, which is purportedly the oldest continuously run diner in Grass Valley. We checked out the Lola Montez house, Lotta Crabtree's home and visited the St. Patrick's Cemetery, which like Nevada City's Cemetery made the trip worthwhile. Before leaving we had Cornish Pasties from Marshall's Pasty Shop and then we headed out.

: : : Rain began to fall, so we did our best to see all we set out to do. We saw Rough and Ready and made an attemt to see Deadwood, which is past Forest Hill. It was snowing well in that area and the road was closed off so we had to head back.

: : : We made a trip to Ophir, passed through Auburn and then went to Coloma. It was raining hard in Coloma and the sun had since set, so we didn't get to see as much as we'd liked. We headed home around 5:00 and made it to my home around 7:30.

: : : It was definitely a short hop, but it was nice to get away from the Baya Area and breathe the fresh pine tree air!!! We'll see was Memorial Day has in store!!!

Originally posted by Cecile

: Well, that means there's something for next time and an excuse to go back. It's worth your while to take the guided tour where they take you inside the mouth of the mine shaft. The house tour is fine, too. What always gets me though, these beautiful estates on mining property yet imagine the dust and all the sounds and vibrations from the mining equipment that would have gone on all of the time.

: : We saw the Empire Buildings from the exeterior, but were pressed for time as always and headed on to Deadwood and later Coloma!!!

: : : Sounds like a great rip, Coach Bodie. Haven't been that way in years! Did you get a chance to go to the Empire State Mine? That's one of my favorites!

: : :
    : : : : Texas Jess and I had originally planned to head to New Mexico, but due to work schedules, only a short trip could be taken.

: : : : Wednesday at around noon Texas Jess and I left the Napa Valley and headed up to Nevada County. We stopped in Nevada City and checked into the National hotel, which by some claims is the oldest coninuously operating hotel in California.

: : : : Nevada City had a certain charm, but was far from a ghost. It is probably the most active ghost town we've been too. It had a Calistoga-St.Helena-Sausalito-like feel to it, which was much aided by the Christmas Fair on Broad Street. There were several keen structures still standing and the pioneer cemetery was well worth the visit. We had a few Guiness at a couple local watering holes before dining at the National Hotel and retiring for the evening.

: : : : Thursday we said bye to Nevada City and went to Grass Valley. We had breakfast at the Old Town Cafe, which is purportedly the oldest continuously run diner in Grass Valley. We checked out the Lola Montez house, Lotta Crabtree's home and visited the St. Patrick's Cemetery, which like Nevada City's Cemetery made the trip worthwhile. Before leaving we had Cornish Pasties from Marshall's Pasty Shop and then we headed out.

: : : : Rain began to fall, so we did our best to see all we set out to do. We saw Rough and Ready and made an attemt to see Deadwood, which is past Forest Hill. It was snowing well in that area and the road was closed off so we had to head back.

: : : : We made a trip to Ophir, passed through Auburn and then went to Coloma. It was raining hard in Coloma and the sun had since set, so we didn't get to see as much as we'd liked. We headed home around 5:00 and made it to my home around 7:30.

: : : : It was definitely a short hop, but it was nice to get away from the Baya Area and breathe the fresh pine tree air!!! We'll see was Memorial Day has in store!!!

Thread Information