Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Existing stamp mills

Default Old Request & a New Answer

I just found this site, and I thought I might point you in the right direction - even if it is a few years after you posted this.

You might try to view a working stamp mill next time you go to the beach (Isn't San Diego part of Arizona? At least it seems that way to us here in the summer).

A side trip to the Julian-Banner mining district in eastern San Diego County offers you an opportunity to visit the Eagle - High Peak mine where they have a 5 -Stamp mill restored to operating condition. If you have the time, try traveling down the old Banner grade road where you can locate about 20 or 30 mine sites - some with buildings. Be careful if you decide to go down as far as Chariot canyon as there are a few very odd characters to contend with.

The Golden Chariot mine;
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=...3&layer=DRG100 shut down years ago and the company moved to Arizona - as did their stamp mills. I heard they changed their name to Banner mining and continued to be active to this day. As with so many closed mines, the mills were just too valuable to abandon, and miners were very good at scraping out old mill sites. We are lucky to have any operating stamp mill anywhere because most of the steel was scrapped to support the war effort in WWII, as happened with the area's 100 stamp mill at the Stonewall Jackson mine in nearby Cuyamaca City.

Just a side note: On one trip I found a small rock on Old Banner Grade road that yielded about 1/2 ounce of gold (I picked this out with tweezers). I figure this must have been dropped during shipment from a mine to a mill. My brother also once owned a claim on the grade where the ore assayed at 2 to 3 ounces a ton, but he sold it years ago. As he discovered - it does not matter how much gold is in the ground - the determining factor is the cost of extracting and processing the ore.

I know I'm REALLY late to this party, but what the heck since for some odd reason, I've become very interested in old mining history. Dunno how that happened ?? Is it a disease ?

Someone mentioned Idaho Spring, CO - The wonderfully preserved Argo Mill is there.

http://www.historicargotours.com/

I visited there last in 10/2006 and had the whole mill to myself !! I spent over 2 hours taking pictures and wandering around the whole mill. The top-level stamps are long gone, but the rest of the mill is largely intact, although the ball mill is gone too. It's hard to say if the stamps would have had amalgamation tables or not. I'm assuming yes, since every picture I've seen shows the amal. tables.

At the front of the mill is a large collection of old mining equipment, including a 5-stamp mill and frame, but none of the usual amentities that go with it.

Now the coolest mill ruins I've seen in my short mining-related travels is the Champion Mill way up in the hills outside of Nederland, CO. Super cool place ! It's 2 5-stamp batteries are still in their original foundations. Much of the mill is collapsed, the main boiler is still up on it's foundations. Watch this video (not mine) as it shows pretty much everything I saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovpBKtwjPE

Supposedly the stamps are going to the Nederland mining museum at some point in the future. They were still there when I visited in 9/2007.

The Mayflower Mill in Silverton, CO is a great place to visit. Again I serendipitiously arranged a private off-season tour. I spent 3+ hours with the tour guide and wandered everywhere in the mill taking tons of pictures The mill didn't have any stamps, not sure if it ever did. It contains at least 2 main cone crushers, a large rod mill and a sizable ball mill. Very cool place, too bad the hi-line to the mine isn't operational anymore, that'd be darn cool to see that ! This was a bit more modern mill that operated on/off until the 1980's ? It's main product was lead and a couple of others elements that escape my brain right now, with silver/gold as byproducts. Yes, shaker tables, cyanide tanks, mercury remover (whatever you call them) and a retort furnace, all still there along with the flotation tanks/skimmers, and all kinds of mill related equipment.

They had a couple of small model stamp mills to show how they worked.

Jerome, AZ - the historical museum there has a really nice 5-stamp battery on their ground, non-operating, but looks pretty complete - was just there a week ago.

SARCO copper mine outside of Tucson, AZ - WOW ! Talk about a huge operation. I know it's not the largest copper mine in the States, but it's HUGE ! I think the one in Utah outside of SLC is the largest in the world ?

GIGANTIC ball mills to grind the copper ore, oodles of flotation tanks, etc. Very cool to see how copper is extraced !! Some of old mining equipment at the visitors center - large head frame, steam engine, compressor, small winches, ore cars. Definitely worth a stop !

http://www.asarco.com/AMDC/mine_tours.html

OK, enough info for now, should probably post this elsewhere under mine/mill tour/infos

Think I will post this in a more appropriate thread area too

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Originally posted by Bill Lytle
    : Hi
    : Does anyone know of any remaining stamp mills in Arizona? The tourist site of Goldfield has mill machinery but I would like to see the surrounding building structure, insides and such. Are there any in other states? I know of Bodie but I'm told it's off imits because of unstable structure.

There is a 5-stamp mill at the "now closed" Arizona Mining & Mineral Musuem in downtown Phoenix, AZ. This mill was restored back to operation about 4 yeras ago. I helped on restoring the mill and could be a production mill, operating at 60 RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Originally posted by Jerry Bowen

: : Hi
    : : Does anyone know of any remaining stamp mills in Arizona? The tourist site of Goldfield has mill machinery but I would like to see the surrounding building structure, insides and such. Are there any in other states? I know of Bodie but I'm told it's off imits because of unstable structure.

: Check out Goff's, California on old Route 66 about 8 miles from Needles. The Mohave Road Association is currently rebuilding a ten-stamp mill and will eventually put it into a demo-operation complete with all buildings. Anyone interested in old mills can get in on the ground floor and volunteer to help reconstruct it. There's no better way than that to learn about them.
    You forgot the Stotts 2-stamp mill that is already operational. We completed the restoration on that mill in 2010. The American Boy 10-Stamp Mill is presently under restoration and is coming along quite well. If you are instesested in volunteering you should contact the Majove Desert Heritage & Cultural Assoication in Goffs

Thread Information