Thread: Beveridge mining camp

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Beveridge mining camp

Originally posted by OldFrenchy

: Does anyone have any information on the history of this remote camp? Personal anecdotes from diaries or letters are always the best way to get the feel of the times and brings the old places back to life.
    : Thanks-
    : OldFrenchy

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Beveridge mining camp

Originally posted by Von Storm

: I have searched the Inyos near and far only to find remains in meditative repose, surrounbded by the crushed skulls of several apparent victims low in Hunter's Canyon. Beware Alfonse Benoit! He lurks in the shadows of the Inyos...

Originally posted by Cecile

: Doesn't seem to be a lot of written history available. On this site, and others you will find trail reports of people who have hiked up there. I have an old copy of the quarterly The Album April 1992 Volume V, Number 2 Chalfant Press- which has pictures and a story entitled Beveridge: A Three-Mystery Ghost Town by Thomas S. Budlong. However, it may not be easy to get copies of that any more. More recently L. Burr Belden & Mary DeDecker have a small chapter about the Beveridge Mining District in Death Valley to Yosemite;Frontier Mining Camps & Ghost Towns, Spotted Dog Press.

:
    : : Does anyone have any information on the history of this remote camp? Personal anecdotes from diaries or letters are always the best way to get the feel of the times and brings the old places back to life.
    : : Thanks-
    : : OldFrenchy

Default Re: Ghosts of the Inyos

Originally posted by Cecile

: Ah! I spent two weeks in the American Hotel up at Cerro Gordo last May and hoped to meet Alphonse Benoit in person, but he must have been hanging out elsewhere in the Inyos during that time. I have, however, seen his pictures in a photo album in the hotel. There is also a picture of his parents hanging in the dining hall of the hotel, over the doorway to the poker room.

: Other ghosts to watch out for at Cerro Gordo, - the lady who lives in the trunk at the Belshaw House, and the bunkhouse ghost who plays friendly pranks like re-arranging make-up left on a dresser in a back bedroom, and pinching a good friend of mine as her Mom was taking her picture. The ghost did not show up in the picture, but my little friend certainly had red marks where he pinched her, and we all heard her screams when it happened.

: I would imagine if Cerro Gordo has so many ghosts, Beveridge, and the rest of the Inyos must have many more!

: Another ghost of the Inyos to watch out for is the ghost bag kitty! - he tore out of the American Hotel headed towards Lone Pine on the Yellow Grade Road just like Remi Nadeau's mule freight wagons full of silver bullion did in the old days. The ghost bag may still be floating around the Inyos somewhere, but the famous kitty still wanders the streets of Cerro Gordo greeting all who come to the old ghost town for a visit. Skinny Cat is not near as shy as Alphonse Benoit, and will happily rub against your leg and purr, or pose for a picture for you.

:
    : : I have searched the Inyos near and far only to find remains in meditative repose, surrounbded by the crushed skulls of several apparent victims low in Hunter's Canyon. Beware Alfonse Benoit! He lurks in the shadows of the Inyos...

Originally posted by OldFrenchy

: Thankyou for the information. I'll keep an eye-out for The Album in my perusals of old book stores!
    : OldFrenchy

:
    : : Doesn't seem to be a lot of written history available. On this site, and others you will find trail reports of people who have hiked up there. I have an old copy of the quarterly The Album April 1992 Volume V, Number 2 Chalfant Press- which has pictures and a story entitled Beveridge: A Three-Mystery Ghost Town by Thomas S. Budlong. However, it may not be easy to get copies of that any more. More recently L. Burr Belden & Mary DeDecker have a small chapter about the Beveridge Mining District in Death Valley to Yosemite;Frontier Mining Camps & Ghost Towns, Spotted Dog Press.

: :
    : : : Does anyone have any information on the history of this remote camp? Personal anecdotes from diaries or letters are always the best way to get the feel of the times and brings the old places back to life.
    : : : Thanks-
    : : : OldFrenchy

Default Beveridge Not for the light hearted

I hiked there in 1974 with 3 friends. We campedout there for 4 days, panned for gold and did lots of exploying.Took many photos and covered the base camp from top to bottom. If your interested in seeing photos or hearing about the adventures from a real visiter email me. I hiked out with loads of gear in my pack and within three miles of leaving, I left it all behind, pack included, carrying only water. I did pray for a helicopter but no gps, radios back then. It was an amazing struggle but a once n a life time find. codabass@gmail.com jim

what state is this town in?

sounds like a great trip!

It's located in california butvery hard to find. Takes a 4x4 just to reach the start point.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Smile Codabass Photos

Quote Originally Posted by coda View Post
    I hiked there in 1974 with 3 friends. We campedout there for 4 days, panned for gold and did lots of exploying.Took many photos and covered the base camp from top to bottom. If your interested in seeing photos or hearing about the adventures from a real visiter email me. I hiked out with loads of gear in my pack and within three miles of leaving, I left it all behind, pack included, carrying only water. I did pray for a helicopter but no gps, radios back then. It was an amazing struggle but a once n a life time find. codabass@gmail.com jim
    You said above that you took a lot of photos when you made your hike to the top of the New Yorks Moutains we love to view all the photos.

Your fellow adventuers
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 10-17-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Thread Information