Thread: Guadalupe Canyon - in Tombstone vicinity

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Guadalupe Canyon - in Tombstone vicinity

Originally posted by Tom

: Somewhere in Guadalupe Canyon is where Old Man Clanton and his party were ambushed while driving cattle; this is suppose to have been done in retaliation to the massacre of Mexican smugglers in Skeleton Canyon. Most accounts state it was by Mexican soldiers and some say it was the relatives of the Mexicans killed in Skeleton Canyon. There's another that states it was the Earps and Doc Holliday - and that Doc Holliday was wounded in the battle and thus the reason he was walking with a cane on the day of the O.k. Corral gunfight.

: I've read that the actual site is below the border in Mexico which I understand Guadalupe Canyon crosses into. Does anyone know more about this?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Guadalupe Canyon - in Tombstone vicinity

Originally posted by Johnnie

: : Somewhere in Guadalupe Canyon is where Old Man Clanton and his party were ambushed while driving cattle; this is suppose to have been done in retaliation to the massacre of Mexican smugglers in Skeleton Canyon. Most accounts state it was by Mexican soldiers and some say it was the relatives of the Mexicans killed in Skeleton Canyon. There's another that states it was the Earps and Doc Holliday - and that Doc Holliday was wounded in the battle and thus the reason he was walking with a cane on the day of the O.k. Corral gunfight.

: : I've read that the actual site is below the border in Mexico which I understand Guadalupe Canyon crosses into. Does anyone know more about this?

:
    : Hello1 Tom for your request I should refer you over to my good friend Mr. Lee Silva he has just completed a 950page plus book on Wyatt Earp and would be one of many historians, That is a expert on this aera of the old west, and the history in around that part of Arizona. you can reach him by clicking on wyattearpbook.com (all one word) and then click on his e-mail address. or if you are not in a hurry I am going to meet up with him in few days and I will ask him about your request, I have been curious myself about that very question and he or I will get back with you as soon as we can.

: Take care
    : Johnnie

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: Tom,

: Texas Jess and I have traveled Guadalpue Canyon a couple of times. Unless you have a gps, It's hard to tell whether you are in Mexico or the U.S.

: Head from Tombstone, through Bisbee and Douglas and check out the old Slaughter Ranch. From there you can look into Old Mexico!!! You can also see signs to Guadalupe Canton on the approach!!! Follow them and you can take Guadalupe Canyon until you reach the gate of the Guadalupe Ranch...that is as far as we made it.

: You may run into Border Patrol and possibly and illegal immigrant or two crossing the border as we did in 1999.

: For a true adventure, follow the signs to Cloverdale, NM(a cowboy hangout in the Earp era)take the dirt doad through the Coronado National forest and into the Animas Valley!!!

: Once in the Animas Valley you can head north to the town of Shakespeare...just make sure it is open before you go!!!

:
    : Happy Hunting!!!
    : : Somewhere in Guadalupe Canyon is where Old Man Clanton and his party were ambushed while driving cattle; this is suppose to have been done in retaliation to the massacre of Mexican smugglers in Skeleton Canyon. Most accounts state it was by Mexican soldiers and some say it was the relatives of the Mexicans killed in Skeleton Canyon. There's another that states it was the Earps and Doc Holliday - and that Doc Holliday was wounded in the battle and thus the reason he was walking with a cane on the day of the O.k. Corral gunfight.

: : I've read that the actual site is below the border in Mexico which I understand Guadalupe Canyon crosses into. Does anyone know more about this?

Originally posted by Tom

: I have been to the Slaughter Ranch and I do recall a sign pointing the way to Guadalupe Canyon. Did'nt know there was a ranch there.

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: As you approach The Slaughter Ranch From Douglas, the road forks! You can continue straight to the Slaughter ranch or take the road north of the Slaughter Ranch. On that road you will see the sign....the sign gives you the option to head to Cloverdale,NM or Guadalupe Canyon!!!

: : I have been to the Slaughter Ranch and I do recall a sign pointing the way to Guadalupe Canyon. Did'nt know there was a ranch there.

Originally posted by Hank Foshee

: : First the road leading out of Douglas, Az. - 15 st. becomes Geronimo's Trail and is the old trail use by Geronimo. It passes the Slaughter Ranch and then proceeds in to cottonwood Canyon after the right turn that takes you to Guadalupe Canyon. 5 years ago this road was signed "Guadalupe Canyon, No Hay Paso" or dead end. You can go by car to the ranch gate at the western foot of the canyon. If you jump the gate and walk a shoret ways into the trees, to the south is the old Puerta Blanca gate. Prior to the 1950's any one could cross into the U.S.A. or to Mexico through this gate. Mexico Highway #2 is less than two miles south. You could cross there provided you reported to the nearest U.S. Customs, that being at Douglas.
    : The Guadalupe Ranch is owned and operated by "Drum" Hadley and his son seth. I hear it is an old rancho of yester year with out electricity and the other comforts of the modern age.

Smile Guadalupe Canyon - Geronimo Question

Greetings!
    I've been doing some reading about Geronimo (Goyakla) and was interested to see if anyone on this forum had ever found the exact location of Canon de los Embudos, down in Sonora? I'd like to go visit it sometime.

I've also heard that the Ajos-Bavispe National forest is very beautiful. Any comments?
    Thanks!

Thread Information