Thread: Olinghouse, NV updates?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Olinghouse, NV updates?

Originally posted by John Collins

: I remember a bunch of posts some time ago about the hostile situation at Olinghouse. Any updates on that? Is it still dangerous or has some agency come and cleared the people out?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Olinghouse, NV updates? BEWARE

Originally posted by Guy Zack Fischer

: Hi John,
    : My now 10 year old son and I where the ones that where originally run out of Olinghouse at gun point. I dont know what the current situation is but I know that when we finally did get in on the second attempt with a group and with permission that the area was being controlled by some large mining group. At that time the majority of the historical sites where being torn down etc...

: Since the actual visit with the group I have received several emails from someone unknown which was very nasty and also from another person stating they where the owners of the large house that we took pictures of. Additionally they wanted me to be warnings on my web site about not going to this location. This area for some reason seems to be a HOT SPOT! I do know that thier is an old DOD Bunker within the mountain which seems to be very large and interesting, but we did not get to see this. This just ads interest to the hostilities that take place. If you do go to Olinghouse I would use great caution, dont go alone, and perhaps be armed.

: Additionally, I know that when our group was their we where watched and monitored very closely and even directed out of certian areas, areas which didnt appear to be of any concern, which I thought to be even more interesting.

: To ad to the puzzel, according to the state of nevada historical society Olinghouse is suppose to be a state recognized historical site, which would be its controlled by the state and should be available to the public. I do know that the historical marker has been removed by vandels though, not the state.

: If you want more information and to pictures of olinghouse come to our website, we are the only ones that I know of that has this information/photos of this ghosttown.

: www.geocities.com/mrguy33/Cal-Neva_Ghosttowns.html

: Take Care
    : Guy and Zack

Default Re: Olinghouse, NV updates? BEWARE

Originally posted by John Collins

: Thanks for the update. I don't plan on going there if there's a potential for trouble (having had similar trouble elsewhere--but not ghost-towning).

: I just wondered if things had cleared up or not. I thought of it recently when talking ghosttowns with an acquaintance from NV. I also wanted to bring the topic back to the BB for those who didn't see it first time around.

: One's mind sure can run wild with theories, especially in our current world.

: Your site looks good. I checked out your Olinghouse page.

: : Hi John,
    : : My now 10 year old son and I where the ones that where originally run out of Olinghouse at gun point. I dont know what the current situation is but I know that when we finally did get in on the second attempt with a group and with permission that the area was being controlled by some large mining group. At that time the majority of the historical sites where being torn down etc...

: : Since the actual visit with the group I have received several emails from someone unknown which was very nasty and also from another person stating they where the owners of the large house that we took pictures of. Additionally they wanted me to be warnings on my web site about not going to this location. This area for some reason seems to be a HOT SPOT! I do know that thier is an old DOD Bunker within the mountain which seems to be very large and interesting, but we did not get to see this. This just ads interest to the hostilities that take place. If you do go to Olinghouse I would use great caution, dont go alone, and perhaps be armed.

: : Additionally, I know that when our group was their we where watched and monitored very closely and even directed out of certian areas, areas which didnt appear to be of any concern, which I thought to be even more interesting.

: : To ad to the puzzel, according to the state of nevada historical society Olinghouse is suppose to be a state recognized historical site, which would be its controlled by the state and should be available to the public. I do know that the historical marker has been removed by vandels though, not the state.

: : If you want more information and to pictures of olinghouse come to our website, we are the only ones that I know of that has this information/photos of this ghosttown.

: : www.geocities.com/mrguy33/Cal-Neva_Ghosttowns.html

: : Take Care
    : : Guy and Zack

Default Olinghouse

My name is Olinghouse,
    And this town was founded by my great uncle.
    If there is anything going on there that is not right I want to know. Gotta defend the name & Town
    Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by okmoocow; 11-17-2004 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

hey, my name is guy mason and my father,jerry mason his partner al cabanny and myself stored those containers. may i have permisson to come out and tour the site? i know whats in most of those drums(mostly survival suppies ie:crackers,hard candy(carbo's),simple first aid supplies) i will be going if allowed in summer 2006. i spent many a summer helping my dad work the White Horse Canyon mine. all i want is to take pictures! respectfully, Guy Mason

Exclamation Olinghouse

As long as I've been visiting this site, I've just recently become aware of this thread concerning trouble at Olinghouse. Although I've never been to ghost towns in the southwest, there are a couple of rules we live by when we go to check them out here in North Dakota.

1. Never tell the public where you're going before you go. Tell relatives or friends or loved ones, yes (so in case you disappear they know where to look for you), but not the public. You're just increasing your chances that someone will be there to meet you when you arrive.

2. Never trespass on land that is posted. If it's not posted, proceed with caution and be ready to be charming if someone approaches.

3. Never ask permission first unless you're going somewhere where permission is clearly required. If it's not posted, and there are no fences etc... just go.

4. Go with a small group, not a large one. The fewer vehicles the better. In another thread regarding Olinghouse, someone suggested the idea of going there with a 10 car caravan. I would say that's a VERY bad idea as it is likely to incite further confrontations. Low-impact is better and more respectful.

5. Put yourself in the landowner/neighbors shoes. Sometimes even if you're only taking pictures, they've already had enough of people whose intentions weren't so great. We went to a town here in North Dakota called Tagus and the residents were on us within 5 minutes. Seems they've had a problem with high school kids vandalizing on Halloween for years, and in 2000 they lost their only church to a fire set by vandals. So they were understandably skittish.

6. If you've made a website documenting your hobby, consider getting some t-shirts made with the domain on the front, and the word "photographer" on the back. Act professionally and equip yourelf like a professional... tripods, camera bags etc... It will all lend credibility to your visit if someone approaches while you're snapping pics.

These are in addition to the common-sense rules you should follow like don't steal, don't start a fire, don't clear brush, etc...

Troy

http://www.ghostsofnorthdakota.com

Thread Information