Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: abandoned military bases

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default abandoned military bases

Originally posted by Chevygrrrl

: Does anybody know of any abandoned military bases or anything like it?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: abandoned military bases

Originally posted by Mike

: Check out this site for some abandoned Airfields:
    : http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/

Originally posted by Yet Another Bob

: The first site that came to my mind was Camp Ibis (On US-95 just north of Arrowhead Junction on route 66) as I had been searching my mind for ghost towns to visit on the way to Vegas from California. It then occured that I didnít have a clue where in the country you were looking for abandoned military sites or what kind of sites (old west, Spanish American, Great War, WWII or cold war, Army or Navy or Air Force or AAF, etc. I know dozens of sites in or near Nevada from Civil war to AEC. More information is required on what you seek is required?

Originally posted by John Collins

: More info on what you're hoping for is indeed necessary. Plenty of old fortifications come to mind. Is that what you want? Or do you want some of the more recently-decommisioned bases (thanks to our former Commander-in-chief)?

Originally posted by Roy R. Kieken

: : Does anybody know of any abandoned military bases or anything like it? I'm not sure where you are, but around here in western canada there was a great deal of training activity for the commonwealth countries during the second world war. Young airmen from Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Canada were trained here and then went overseas. I recently had the opprtunity to wander around the remains of two of these both near Calgary Alberta Canada. (Kircaldy and Claresholm)There was not much left, but in both cases the hangars were largely intact, and the streets, etc clearly visible. One abandoned base at Claresholm Alberta, still has some other buildings in addition to the Hangars, such a the mess hall and several barracks. At Claresholm, the runways and taxiways are maintained, and aircraft still use the field on a limited basis.
    : At Kircaldy, the runways, one of which was still usable a few short years ago, are now over grown, but still visible.

Originally posted by peter

: There are also an abandoned airbase at Vulcan Alberta which has 6 hangars remaining and some smaller buildings naemly the vehicle or fire shed. The 7th hangar was torn down this spring.

Originally posted by Mr. Sable

: There's one with one hangar and a bunker near Halbrite, Saskatchewan. The hanger is mind blowingly huge, but the bunker is full to the top with 60+ years worth of rain water.

: Ask the locals, they'll point you there.

: Mr. S

: : : Does anybody know of any abandoned military bases or anything like it?

Default abandoned military bases in Canada

Originally posted by Andrea Cull

: I'm doing a report for Geography 3325 at Memorial University of Newfoundland on "American Bases in Canada that have been abandoned"...And I have a few questions?? Why is there still PBC's in the area? Why is this mess not cleaned up? Who is suppose to clean it up? If Canada has a base in another country, is it thier duity to clean up after them selves? Should the Americans clean it up? Why is PBC's such a threat? ...etc...if anyone can help me with these questions or put me in the right direction please help!?! thanks

: andrea

Originally posted by The Flemster

: : Does anybody know of any abandoned military bases or anything like it?

: Yeah, here in Essex, England, we have a massive underground nuclear command bunker (an R4) that, until recently, was empty and dead. It's now a tourist attraction but is still impressive nonetheless.

Originally posted by camp anton chico

: : The first site that came to my mind was Camp Ibis (On US-95 just north of Arrowhead Junction on route 66) as I had been searching my mind for ghost towns to visit on the way to Vegas from California. It then occured that I didnít have a clue where in the country you were looking for abandoned military sites or what kind of sites (old west, Spanish American, Great War, WWII or cold war, Army or Navy or Air Force or AAF, etc. I know dozens of sites in or near Nevada from Civil war to AEC. More information is required on what you seek is required?

Thread Information