Thread: Mines in SE Arizona

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Mines in SE Arizona

Originally posted by Kokopelli

: I used to live in SE Arizona (Sierra Vista) and hiked in the Huachuca Mountains. I have a few questions about the area's mines.

: A few of the tunnels I visited were the Lutz tunnel and Black Bear mine. Both were easy as they were just tunnels. Lutz was nice becuase it had a vertical shaft in the ceiling. Unfortunatly, there wasn't an access to the tunnel above us so imagination's been left to put what's up there. Has anyone been up there? Both of these tunnels were in the Ash Canyon (might've been Stump) at the end of the road. THen a nice hike up the mountains.

: Another mine I remember though never entered it was the Baumkirchner shaft. That was off the Ash Canyon road. I think the forest service caved it in, but had it been open I wouldn't have entered it. Call me crazy, but a nest of mojave ratlers can do that to a person. What I'd like to know, is what did the Baumkirchner shaft mine? I've ran searches for it, but can find little info of value.

: Last question - up in Carr Canyon there's a large mine called the "Big Dipper" I believe. The entrance has a grate and is partially filled in. (although I slipped in with no problems) Has anyone ever explored that mine and if so would they share some pictures. Actually I'd love to see pictures of any mines in the Huchucas and the Chihuacawas if you have them. My email is thekokopelli@comcast.net. Thanks - K'pelli

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Mines in SE Arizona

Originally posted by Cactusman

: Vertical shaft huh? Thats more my speed. do you have any kind of map that you can share?

: Thanks
    : Cactusman

Originally posted by Kokopelli

: I don't have a map of the area or the mine. However it's real easy to find if you're remotely familiar with the area.

: Just follow SR 92' South. You'll pass the Hunter and Stump Canyon Roads. Ash Canyon is next road. Turn right and follow it till you come to a fork. Take the "north fork" (to the right) and follow it untill it ends. You see a tail leading from there. Just follow the trail a bit and you'll come to a clearing with a bunch of old mining equipment. Lutz tunnel (it's actually an adit) is off to the left. In 95' it had some dirt piled up but is still easily accessible. There was a water puddle at the entrance, nothing to worry about as it the puddle doesn't go back very far. Enjoy the hike.

Originally posted by Cactusman

: Thanks!

Thread Information