Thread: Road conditions around Aurora and Masonic

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Road conditions around Aurora and Masonic

Originally posted by Frank

: I am planning to take the family on a trip to the Bodie, Aurora, Masonic areas. Was wondering if anyone could give me an update on the trail conditions (my first time exploring this area). Are the trails wide enough to accomidate a full size suburban without ripping all the paint off the sides from brush ? We plan on visiting bodie, aurora, masonic, fletcher stage, del monte, china camp, Hector stage, dog town etc... Any help is appreciated

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Road conditions around Aurora and Masonic

Originally posted by John Collins

: Frank,

: I was out in that area last June. The 2 main roads into Bodie are no trouble. They are pretty wide washboard-type roads. The third--which comes from Masonic-area--is a rocky Forest Service road and should be fine for a Suburban; you'll want the clearance. Watch out for the cows, and you'll be fine. Masonic is on a side road, which was somewhat overgrown last year. You'd probably be OK, though. If not, it's not too far to walk.

: Dogtown is just off the highway near the main road into Bodie. (There's a historical marker on the side of the road overlooking a ravine.)

: That's the little help that I can give. I suppose winter and a year's time could have changed road conditions, but I doubt it. Others on this forum are probably more recent visitors to that area.

: My suggestion is head to Masonic from SR 182. You'll pass the Chemung Mill (which is sometimes confused w/Masonic). It's worth a stop (with all the standard ghosttowning warnings). Continue to Masonic. Then keep going on the FS road on to Bodie. It's a beautiful drive.

: Enjoy!

: : I am planning to take the family on a trip to the Bodie, Aurora, Masonic areas. Was wondering if anyone could give me an update on the trail conditions (my first time exploring this area). Are the trails wide enough to accomidate a full size suburban without ripping all the paint off the sides from brush ? We plan on visiting bodie, aurora, masonic, fletcher stage, del monte, china camp, Hector stage, dog town etc... Any help is appreciated

Thread Information