Thread: Ontario & Michigan Ghost Towns.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Ontario & Michigan Ghost Towns.

Originally posted by Ryan Hill

: Hey there Ghost Town fans!
    : Can anyone recomend some Ghost Towns in Ontario and Michigan that would make a worthwhile trip? Any info or directions to said Ghost Towns would be cool!

: This year I'll be leaving merry-old-England to visit Canada for the fourth time. Ontario is where I preffer to go as I have friends and family in Hamilton and London, but I've never taken into consideration visitng Ontario's many Ghosts. The idea of "Ghost Towning" only occured to me last year when visitng the wild west (e.g. Wyoming, Colorado, Montana ect.), and I came home with many excellent photos which I've shared with GhostTowns.com. I've also dedicated a web site of my own to Ghost Towns of Wyoming.

: Thanks!

: Ryan.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Ontario & Michigan Ghost Towns.

Originally posted by Kayla

: is there ghost towns near Flat Rock village

Originally posted by Ryan

: Okay.....? How would I know? I'm the one who posted that message asking "Can anyone recomend Ghost Towns in Ontario and Michigan"....as in...I don't know as well!

: Gawd

Originally posted by chris

: : Okay.....? How would I know? I'm the one who posted that message asking "Can anyone recomend Ghost Towns in Ontario and Michigan"....as in...I don't know as well!

: : Gawd

: there r many houses and buildings in london that are haunted or r suspected to be haunted. contact me and i'll share all the info i have

Default Jackfish - Ontario Ghost Town

Jackfish is a short hike just off the Trans-Canada Highway east of Terrace Bay. It's original function was as a coal/ water filling place for the steam trains. As diesels made it redundant, it began to focus on commercial fishing. Final blow apparently came when the hotel burned. Base of the old cement water tower still intact.

During its peak, there was no highway (or road) nearby. Everything was transported in on trains. When it died as a town, many people abandoned even their furniture there. Transporting it out was going to make it cost-prohibitive, so I was told. Cheaper to leave it & buy new stuff, than to pay to ship it out. I can recall even seeing food still on shelves in kitchens of the abandoned houses. We were there in the early '70's.

At that time the school and many homes were still standing. Old fishing boats lay on the shore. I've been told that as a precaution, the MNR torched many of the structures, ironically to prevent them from becoming fire hazards. Some houses were still being maintained as summer cottages. I think about 4 or 5 survived.

The town is located right on the shore of Lake Superior. You can get to it easily by walking the train tracks about a mile or two west from the Steel River. There are no signs anywhere to indicate the existence of the old townsite.

While you're within a 2 hour drive, go on up to Silver Islet near Thunder Bay. It's a semi-ghost, but if you're there in the summer, you'll enjoy it. Another old fishing village. Beautiful scenery!!

Smile ON GTs

Hi.

I attempted to visit Jackfish with the aid and directions given in a book, but my efforts proved unsuccessful. Anyhow, I managed to locate Coldwell, which was only a few KMs past Terrace Bay and Jackfish. I have recently submit Coldwell to the GT.com team, as well as some photos. The following day I visited Michipicoten Harbour (the photos are on display on the ON page).
    And the day before I reached the Terrace Bay area, I went to see Fort William near Thunder Bay, and Silver Islet. Visiting the Sleeping Giant PP was fantastic. You can see my photos for Silver Islet on the ON page also.
    Last edited by Ryan Hill; 02-22-2004 at 03:46 AM.
    Ryan Hill.

Thread Information