Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you live legally in a ghost town?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Can you live legally in a ghost town?

Originally posted by Martin Mayer

: I wonder would it be possible to actually move to a ghost town and live there? What are the legal requirements and such ...any one knows?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Can you live legally in a ghost town?

Originally posted by Ryan Hill

: Well, from what I've heard, If a building remains abandoned for a surtain period of time, then anybody could move on in. But I wouldn't be so eager if I was you! Many Ghost Towns nowadays are protected by preservation laws and what-not, so I'd be careful!

: Anyhow, it didn't stop folks from moving into a roofless building at Washoe, Montana!

Originally posted by Martin Mayer

: Well was just wondering.

: Thanks!
    : : Anyhow, it didn't stop folks from moving into a roofless building at Washoe, Montana!

Originally posted by Cecile

: You can't just move in to an abandoned town and live there! Ghost towns are owned by governing land agencies such as the forest service, national park, state park, blm, that they are located in, or are owned by private entities. I just got back from Cerro Gordo in the Inyo Mountains, and it is a privately owned ghost town run as a bed and cook your own breakfast. The caretakers of the town live up there full time, of course, and I am a very part time resident of the town.

: : I wonder would it be possible to actually move to a ghost town and live there? What are the legal requirements and such ...any one knows?

Originally posted by bad bob

: : I wonder would it be possible to actually move to a ghost town and live there? What are the legal requirements and such ...any one knows?

: Depends on what you actually mean by "ghost town". Towns which are "shadows of their former heydays" are considered ghost towns. There are several of these along CA49 that would probably be glad to add you to their pop. signs.
    : Not to mention similar towns across the western half of the US.
    : bb.

If you want to be arrested for trespassing you can just move in.

If you want to find out the OWNERSHIP of a piece of property go to the County Assessor's Office in the courthouse. It's free and open to the public.

Many abandonded properties are taken over by the county for unpaid taxes. Some are re-sold, some are traded with national agencies and some are sitting idle awaiting a buyer. I don't believe I've ever had a slurpee-what is it?

brian10x is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

I'm sure you realize that question was asked five years ago.

And some people are still reading those old posts, so it's still a valid question ...
    David A. Wright
    Quote: "Happy Trails To You, Until We Meet Again!"

Default Ancient Posts

I guess it just takes some people longer to formulate a response than others
    Budding Ghost Towner

idk about anywhere else but i know that most of the ghost towns in connecticut(discluding pleasure beach and cutties island) lie on private property and even those ones that arnt owned by anyone you cant leggaly move their cause its inacessable by emergency personell.

Thread Information